ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121277
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

What is anime? Is that like Tom and Jerry

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

*le raises hand*

i just finished heavens lost property earlier today, i now have completed over 50 different anime, currently watching yu yu hakushow still. and there are still so many i go to watch -_-

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

You bring me to great shame @Drink I'm currently working on my fourth (unless you count Monster which I was completely done with after 12 episodes). But I did only start watching anime within the last two or three months; And I've hardly gone a night without watching anime since my first episode of Death Note.

~Manly

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

@themostmanly.. yeah forget it i dont know how to tag

death note is my favorite, i own both light's and misa's death notes which ended up costing around 70 all together -_-

i been watching anime since i was 8 or 9 but didnt take it serious until about 4 years ago where i started finishing actual series

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

I like Anime. I been watching Clannad and Sword Art Online lately.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Here's a tip Charlie. Ditch SAO and go for some real anime. If you like the setting to be in a video game then Log Horizon is fantastic and just started a second season.

Omegap12
Omegap12
1,980 posts
Shepherd

Ditch SAO and go for some real anime.

ARE YOU INSANE??? ARE YOU SAYING SAO IS BAD??? ARE YOU SAYING THAT YOU SHOULDNT WATCH IT??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?? wow... Geez.

Sorry bout that. As you can see, i love SAO, and SAO II. Ive also watched the other mainstream everyone else has watched. Attack On Titan, Death Note, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tale, Blue Exorcist, and The Devil Is A Part Timer. Yea, im big in that stuffs.
Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

ARE YOU INSANE??? ARE YOU SAYING SAO IS BAD??? ARE YOU SAYING THAT YOU SHOULDNT WATCH IT??? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??

SAO is bad. It uses all sorts of anime cliches and glosses over tons of important details (SCREW YOU SAO, DUAL WIELDING IS NEVER A FREAKING SUPERPOWER IN ANY GAME IT'S A STANDARD FIGHTING FORMAT FOR ROGUE CLASS CHARACTERS) just to make the main character absurdly overpowered in a world where there are any number of legitimate ways for him to be that way. It's story is weak, it lacks action most of the time, and it shoehorns in a bunch of love interests that everyone knows will never get any real attention from a main character that prides himself on being a loner just for that "wonderful" underage girl harem feel. It also reduces a bunch of people to butchers that murder others in their sleep for the sole purpose of forcing some bs "who are the real monsters" dilemma in a couple episodes without any actual reasoning behind their actions. It's garbage. I never really thought about all the flaws when I was just watching it to kill time until other shows were on during Toonami, but once I did the whole thing became unwatchable.

Ive also watched the other mainstream everyone else has watched. Attack On Titan, Death Note, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tale, Blue Exorcist, and The Devil Is A Part Timer.

And that's the reason you think SAO is good, you only watch mainstream anime. Attack On Titan is pretty good but it relies mostly on gore and shock value. I'm looking forward to season 2 but I don't expect anything groundbreaking from the show. Death Note is a fun change of pace from typical shonens but highly overrated by it's fans. Bleach through Blue Exorcist are all largely formulaic (main character with; a love interest that likes someone else, an inherent power greater than everyone around them, and a dark side that takes them to a whole new level of ridiculously OP just so they can compete with villains that would otherwise be too powerful for far more experienced fighters to deal with) and while entertaining aren't high quality. The Devil Is A Part Timer is hilarious. That's all I really have to say about that one, good choice there.

If you want some good animes to watch, here's what I recommend.
Afro Samurai is always worth a watch.
Wait for season 2 of Aldnoah Zero to come out before watching the first season, that last episode is really confusing. Otherwise it's a good show.
Basilisk is a great ninja fighting show, really makes Naruto look like trash in comparison.
Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorites.
Darker Than Black, just be sure to stop after the first season.
Desert Punk is very funny.
Elfen Lied is worth a watch, but you should probably be 18 or older to watch that one.
FLCL is a good mindbender. Just don't expect any questions to be answered or any closure to be found. I still can't figure out What is Fooly Cooly.
Full Metal Alchemist is one of the best animes out there. I personally prefer the original but Brotherhood is closer to the manga in terms of story (and there is a pretty big difference so I recommend watching both).
Hunter X Hunter is a pretty typical shonen but I love the characters and the world.
Kingdom has 2 seasons out so far and I'm greatly anticipating the third.
As I already said, Log Horizon is everything SAO fails to be.
Psycho-Pass is much better at integrating story into the gore and shock factor than Attack On Titan.
Soul Eater is probably the funniest anime I've ever watched.

Movie wise, obviously anything by Hayao Miyazaki is worth watching. And while it doesn't fit my personal taste, I believe The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a fantastic movie that everyone should watch regardless of their usual genre preferences. It is a solid 5/5 stars.

Wow, that's a really long list. Sorry everyone, say goodbye to your free time.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

Death Note is a fun change of pace from typical shonens but highly overrated by it's fans.

Yeah, this guy has a death wish for sure.
Full Metal Alchemist is one of the best animes out there.
I'm halfway through it and son, it's great, but it ain't Death Note great. You shut your lie hole.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

Wait for season 2 of Aldnoah Zero to come out before watching the first season, that last episode is really confusing. Otherwise it's a good show.

Don't get me started on that show.
Whoops, too late...if you have no interest in Aldnoah Zero whatsoever, just skip this entire comment. Or read it if you really want to, but this is basically a rant.

The main character, Inaho, is too OP. He can think his way out of every situation in about .0005 seconds, everyone likes him, and he's probably the most boring character I've ever encountered. If he liked Asseylum so much, then why, when she tried to thank him, did he waxing poetic about "I didn't do it to save you. I did it for the war." OH YES THE WAR OH MY MIGHTY GOODNESS THE WAR BETTER CAST ASIDE THIS HUMAN EMOTIONS AND JUST GO WAR WAR WAR!!! Did I mention that his face is the same all the time? Almost all the time, anyway; when Hellas almost wiped him off the face of the earth, he frowned for a second. Have a heart, Inaho. Oh, wait - in episode 12, we get random series of flashbacks that're supposed to be romantic and make us feel for him. Sorry, Inaho, but it's not working. You've been a static Gary Stu for so long that having the writers stick a bit of backing to your character is ineffective. If his mode of encephalopathy isn't explained in the second season, then he will honestly be a bland character. Except it seems like half the girls are attracted to him; Rayet, Asseylum, Inko. What do they see in that emotionless void? Certainly not anything people consider typically attractive. He's plain, he's not rich, he might be smart, he likes eggs. Are people attracted to that dazzling ray of exuberance? And how? From the way his older sister Yuki talks about him, I'd bet that if she weren't related to him, she's probably join his harem with some pushing. Ugh.
As well as that, he's the only one who thinks at all. Even the soldiers get stupid orders a ton of the time, and follow them unquestioningly. "SHOOTING THIS GUY ISN'T DOING ANYTHING! KEEP DOING IT WHILE HE STANDS THERE AND BLOWS YOU UP!" Apparently, only some high school kid can show any ingenuity, and the only reason that any other character is useful is when he tells them what to do.
Even Marito, who continually rambles about how he was a veteran in the first war, can do literally nothing. Inb4 "But he has PTSD from that one time!" He can at least contribute to the war effort in other ways. He doesn't HAVE to pilot a Kataphrakt. I mean, I'm not going to go and tell some veteran to "Get over yourself already." War sucks. But he hasn't changed at all through the entire series. His character literally brings nothing to the series. Oh, and the doctor's method of curing PTSD is the stupidest thing. "Oh, let's just give him a simulation of the time EVERYONE AROUND HIM DIED AND CHUNKS OF THE MOON WERE FALLING OUT OF THE SKY AND IT WAS RAINING FIRE AND IT WAS THE MOST TRAUMATIC EXPERIENCE OF HIS LIFE so let's just show it to him because it'll make him all better." And then he gives a recording of Marito's extreme anguish to the sister of one of the men who was killed, who's also a pilot. I think they're trying to ship him with her.
Princess Asseylum continues to be naive and absolutely fails to comprehend the politics between Vers and Earth. Surely, at least by now she should have started to get the idea that the Versian people aren't behind the attack, it's the Orbital Knights. The upper class I mean, she probably won't know the name of the ringleader, but it's not that heard. And don't get me started on Eddyruiteitoeo. She never changes AT ALL. She's the perfect example of how bias changes people, true, but she's forced to spend a lot of time with the Terran people, and not all of them are jerks to her. By the way, all the Orbital Knights seem to have the same personality. Consider Vlad, Trilliam, Femmianne - only Cruhteo and Saazebaum seem to have any discernible difference, and that's almost nothing. Cruhteo of course realizes his mistakes at some point, but it's too late for him - and Saazebaum is less flat of a character than everyone else because he has a real live backstory. Wow.
Slaine seemed to start out an interesting character, but now everything he does is completely centered around Asseylum. Yeah, I get that she's important to him. That's pretty much broadcasted through the entire show. In fact, he's somewhat interesting, because he's one of the few defined (but still flat) characters that acts against our local Gary Stu. It seems like half the fandom is piling hate onto him for that, but he's perfectly justified. Inaho declared him his enemy for no reason at all, though Slaine's already stated that he's only interested in Asseylum's wellbeing. Is it really wise to test how much he cares? No, because now he hates you. And though he was clearly set up and biased by Saazebaum, he still has closer ties to the villain of the show than the other protagonist.
Rayet was interesting for a little bit, but she just held onto this motif of revenge until it almost ruined her. I mean, it's always fixed in her mind, and yeah, we can feel for her; her father was killed in front of her eyes, but it takes her up to the ninth episode to do something other than mope around the ship.
Saazebaum at least gets that backstory I talked about, and some bonding time with Slaine. Especially since Slaine was "saved" from Cruhteo by him. Though our resident Orbital Knight Count person then blatantly states "I tried to assassinate your precious princess." And Slaine, lame boy that he is, aims a butter knife at Saazebaum's face and says "Please don't hurt her." That's not how you do this threatening thing, sir. Apparently the only way to keep the Vers empire happy is to make them made at the Terrans, which is kind of stupid. They've got this whole superiority complex towards the Earth people because they found some old technology. "WHOA WE FOUND THIS ALDNOAH THING WE'RE GODS NOW!!!"! They set up this quasi-monarchic system and used this tech to make large angry machines. For some mysterious reason, the empire is impoverished and starving on Mars, so the only way to prevent revolt is to blame Terrans for not moving to Mars. If they're so advanced, why didn't they use Aldnoah to make space domes or something equivalent to that? Instead of building war machines, go for the agricultural route and build places to grow plants and raise domestic livestock. But nah, giant death bots are cool.

tl;dr version: All the characters are static, unchanging, and generally dull. The political mess in the plot is interesting, but there's little development on that front. There was so much wasted potential in this show. It's a shame.

Anyway, I'm in the "Small-number-of-animes-watched" club with Manly. I'll hand you my recommendations.
Hetalia was okay, and pretty funny, though I've gotten out of it recently. Personified nations are hilarious, as you can tell from SATW and Polandball. Or Planetary Moe, which is basically Hetalia with planets.
Mekakucity Actors started out good and ended cheesy, but there were a lot of fans who didn't understand because they weren't familiar with Kagerou Project beforehand. Consider this anime a big bundle of fanservice, or "SHAFT's low budget anime." The opening to episode 9 still haunts my nightmares.
The Tokyo Ghoul anime was considerably less good than the manga, but it's still worth watching.. They squeezed sixty chapters into twelve episodes, but judging by the preview to the next season, they're taking the manga plot and running away with it by sticking Kaneki in Kokuria, which I think is the ghoul equivalent of Azkaban. I highly suggest you read the manga, though; all 143 chapters of it.
And then there was Aldnoah Zero, which I went on enough about already. You probably know my feelings about it by now.
Zankyou no Terror is 100% amazing, and I rank it as the best anime I've ever watched. My vote doesn't count for much, though, because I've not seen very many of them. It starts out a little slow, but the drama increased exponentially until you're on the edge of your seat, internally screaming.
Last but not least, Parasyte has an exciting concept. The manga was excellent. They changed Shinichi's design for the anime, but they only added glasses. I expect they'll get rid of those by the last episode, and put his hair in the spiky way. You can see him in the OP. This one just started, so now's the best time to get into it.

I literally spent an hour typing this. What am I doing with my life?
Certainly not anything productive.
Gladiator246
Gladiator246
363 posts
Scribe

My anime ranking list:1)Death Note(nuff said)
2)Naruto(both original and shippuden)
3)DBZ(When I was a kid)

Death note is THE BEST
Fairy Tale isn't bad either.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I got sick of Tokyo Ghoul very quickly. The protagonist constant whining about how he didn't want any of this and how his life is so hard ruined everything else about what could have been a great series for me.

I will agree that Aldnoah Zero failed to live up to it's to potential, but as a whole the series outshines the more common series like Bleach and Death Note. Hopefully season 2 will take into account the flaws of season 1 and [SPOILERS] we can get some answers as to why Slaine is such an idiot that he'd save the guy who openly admitted to trying to kill Asseylum then kill the one guy who's been trying to protect her for the whole series.

Death note is THE BEST

Like I said, good but overrated by its fans.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

Like I said, good but overrated by its fans.

No, you don't understand. Not only is it the best anime, it's the best TV show ever. Obviously our opinions are very, very different so we'll have to agree to disagree before heads go flying.

@StormWalker it seems you haven't watched Death Note, it's much the same as you described Zankyou no Terror. It is very suspenseful and one of the most intense things you will ever experience.

~Manly
NovaRacer27
NovaRacer27
1 posts
Nomad

Has anyone watched Hetalia or Black Butler? Both are great animes.

Asan45
Asan45
1 posts
Peasant

yes for Hetalia it good

Showing 1-15 of 333