ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121612
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
nivlac724
nivlac724
2,555 posts
Shepherd

I LOVE anime. Some of my favs are Fairy tail, RWBY and SAO I never got into naruto or death note.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I watched The Wind Rises yesterday. I could go on at great length about how much I loved it, but I'll just say one thing: I cried actual tears at the end.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,779 posts
Chamberlain

Finished Ergo Proxy this morning. It had the potential to be right up there with Death Note, but in the end its at the very bottom of my list and it will likely be there for a long time.

After finishing it I did some google searches and I wasn't alone. Like other people, I fell in love with it at the beginning but after about 12 episodes it kind of lost me. At first it was just a bit boring after episode 12(ish) but then it just got weird. And by weird I mean it was completely incoherent. Entire episodes turned out to be nothing more than the characters dreaming with the intent of learning more about them. Random time jumps to unexplained events;
Example: the 3 main characters were in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles from any civilization, and an episode starts (and ends) with them on a game show *unexplained*. The purpose of that was to fill you in on the show's setting. Oh, and did I mention, its one of the most important episodes to the plot because because in order to at all understand the ending of the show (which I don't) you have to pay attention and remember random bits of trivia mentioned there. Even if you do remember those bits, which I vaguely did, at the end there's still far too much that the don't explain.

It started out as a plot centered show, but around the middle they gave up on that and had the random dream episodes to try to make it psychological. While the middle bits were rather boring and necessary, I still had high hopes for the show for when it went back to the story, because there was still a lot they could have done with it.

When they finally get back to the story for the last 3 episodes it completely falls apart. They gave up on making a story that made any degree of sense and decided that they wanted it to be philosophical, and apparently, doing that would require them to add in a bunch of stuff that doesn't make any sense and then pretend it does.

I was going to put it above Attack on Titan in my anime rankings because I did like 2 of the character a moderate amount and because the beginning showed so much promise; but in the end the great beginning just made the show that much worse, because it was a proper show in the beginning and it just demonstrates how poorly it turned out. There aren't many shows that had as much potential as that one did; but even fewer shows fall so utterly short of what they could have been.

[/rant]

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

DONT WATCH SOUL EATER
Unless, of course, you enjoy the dissapointing reality that most mainstream animes are garbage made popular by people with a false idea of what Japan is like

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Don't listen to pangtongshu. Soul Eater is one of the funniest shows out there, with a little nightmare fuel thrown in to fit the theme of the show.

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

Welp, I haven't seen many not because I don't enjoy them, but because I'm simply out of free time. I've only seen the following:
Girls und Panzer
Neon Genesis Evangelion
BTOOOM!
SAO
SAO II
Another
Attack on Titan
Fate/Zero

My faves were fate/zero and btooom

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Soul eater is garbage I'm sorry you have bad taste in anime

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Soul eater is garbage I'm sorry you have bad taste in anime

Says the girl whose main contribution to this thread is repeatedly claiming that the first half of SAO is good and calling other people "Weaboo".

Looks like Saint Seiya has been added to Netflix. I haven't watched it myself yet but it seems to be really well liked. It also appears that Netflix no longer lists things as "Recently added to anime" anymore in their New Arrivals section.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Zatch Bell (although with Zatch Bell they mess up the ending in the anime, so you'd want to go to the manga around ep 100).

It seemed familiar enough at the beginning that I'm guessing 4kids dubbed it (there wasn't a dubbed version on the site I was using so I watched it subbed) back when they were also destroying Rave Master and other anime comedies. Is it just me or does Gash get weaker and Kiyomaru get dumber after the Zophise arc? I know individual demons vary in strength but almost every demon brushed Gash's zakeruga off like it was nothing after that arc and his baou zakeruga couldn't even compete with a dioga class spell unless it was reinforced by zageruzemu. Kiyomaru was just as bad, making no attempt to strategize. Even going into a battle knowing they were heavily outclassed in raw power he'd just fire off zageruzemu like it was a normal attack rather than trying to get close or catch opponents off guard.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Yo I've said a lot more back off dawg ctfu

Tho I mean, I'm just trying to help peoplenoutnso they don't waste their time with SAO and Soul Eater. Watch something that's actually half decent.

Then again I value shows made for the medium to be art over shows made to be a product so whatevs

ReZisty
ReZisty
31 posts
Shepherd

Use to watch Naruto whenever I was younger, But not so much anymore. In fact I haven't in over 2 years. Know of a fairly decent website with forums/profile customization, check it out mates. www.anispace.net

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Yo I've said a lot more back off dawg ctfu

You've had 6 posts in this thread before page 12. 4 make up what I've already mentioned, 1 was a Youtube link recommending Attack on Titan and the other was this

What is anime? Is that like Tom and Jerry

Then of course there's the three you have here on page 12 bashing Soul Eater.

Then again I value shows made for the medium to be art over shows made to be a product so whatevs

Comedy is an art and Soul Eater is hilarious. There's a reason that even decades after they stopped making movies Abbott & Costello, Mel Brooks, and Monty Python are all household names. But if comedy isn't artistic enough for you, I've got a big list of shows and movies on the first page that I recommend and only two are there because they're funny (Desert Punk and Soul Eater).

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Soul Eater was insulting. It tried to be like yu yu, bleach, etc., and while I'm not saying those kinds of shows are any good or offer anything other than mindless fun, it falls short. Best way I would put it is that it comes off like a shonen for babbies. If you are recommending it to someone to give them a general idea of what to expect from a shonen, then sure, it's a fine choice.

And while comedy can be an art form, the show sure as hell isn't. It's a product. It's meant to be popular and make money.
I mean, I'll be the first to defend tropes/cliches, so long as they arent being used purely for lazy writing, and that's what I felt from this show. Main characters are strong but need work, your 2edgy4u fedora character, sex object, goofball, etc etc.
The only redeeming part about this show for me was the cat chick, and that's only because that **** is hot.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

And excuse me but I believe you missed.me putting someone in their place for saying death note was better than FMA:b and also recommending Katanagatari u.u

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

It tried to be like yu yu, bleach, etc., and while I'm not saying those kinds of shows are any good or offer anything other than mindless fun, it falls short.

I agree, as an action shonen it falls short of the more popular series. But as a satirical comedy of such series it surpasses them all. They don't just use tropes for lazy writing, they tend to invert or lampshade tropes for comedic purposes (a fairly common practice for parodies and satires).

And while comedy can be an art form, the show sure as hell isn't. It's a product. It's meant to be popular and make money.

Welcome to the wacky world of reality where artistic interests are subverted by monetary gain. Also featured in this bizarre realm of existence is every famous painting and/or statue you've ever heard of, every tv show or movie you've seen, and every song you've heard. Even indie companies and groups are interested in making money. Very rarely does something get made purely to be art and when it is it pretty much never gains any public attention.

The only redeeming part about this show for me was the cat chick, and that's only because that **** is hot.

I'm not going to lie, that sentence it extremely distracting.

And excuse me but I believe you missed.me putting someone in their place for saying death note was better than FMA:b and also recommending Katanagatari u.u

I didn't miss it, here's the first half of that post which fits within my description of your activity here.

First half of SAO - good
Second half of SAO - Hope you enjoy the rolling in crap
Showing 106-120 of 333