ForumsWEPRAttacks in Paris

21 15200
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I guess everyone have heard about the terrible events in Paris last night...

I'm French, and I can't explain how I'm feeling right now. I don't live in Paris, none of my close relations were touched, but I'm still deeply touched by those attacks. All my thoughts go to these poor innocent people, and their family, who just went out to enjoy a concert, watch a football match or meet friends in cafés...

I'll never understand what was the motivation behind this massacre. The terrorists claimed it was done for their religion.
I can't get what this has to do with it. I don't think any religion asks people to kill people with such violence. They just aren't humans.
Daesh is the Earth cancer.

You can share your thoughts in this topic if you want to...

• 21 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Might seem premature of me to comment, before more information is released, however a number of religions do exhort people to kill others. The texts were written ages ago, and times were different.
In any case, even if people interpret the more violent verses as just metaphorical these days, the plain message is that a significant minority does not, and I think that matters.

ISIS hasn't really shown signs of being weakened despite years of war and more nations joining the fight towards it, hasn't it? Not really sure what the French government would do, though I remember the President said that they would fight the threat ''without mercy".

Something interesting in Nigeria perhaps: Boko Haram members that have been apprehended and are being put through a desensitizing program have shown some improvement. I think they found out that people who have been little exposed to education, suffering from economic hardships were the most susceptible to charismatic but devious religious leaders. So perhaps a soft touch is the way to go.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Truly a horrific event; the French and all families of victims have my heartfelt sympathy.

We will definitely have more information coming out steadily (just now I read that the first attacker has been identified, apparently a Frenchman). But since Daesh has admitted to the attacks, which according to experts bear their signature, it seems reasonable to assume them to be responsible.

As for the cause, from what I could gather it is most certainly the expected and feared retaliation to France's involvement in the offensive against Daesh in Syria. The IS had announced they would act, and so they did.

ISIS hasn't really shown signs of being weakened despite years of war and more nations joining the fight towards it, hasn't it?

What nations? Both Turkey and Russia use the fight against Daesh as a pretense to justify attacks in the region. However, Turkey has primarily attacked Kurds (Kurds who are themselves fighting Daesh), and Russia is supporting the Assad regime against the rebels, hardly targeting Daesh at all.

Something interesting in Nigeria perhaps: Boko Haram members that have been apprehended and are being put through a desensitizing program have shown some improvement. I think they found out that people who have been little exposed to education, suffering from economic hardships were the most susceptible to charismatic but devious religious leaders. So perhaps a soft touch is the way to go.

I think this is definitely a good way to handle converts in your own country; but it can't be a viable strategy against the groups in and around Syria. Those have to be fought and destroyed.
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Still waiting on some more information, because this does interest me. Waiting on the "who" and the "why". Tragic.

My deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathies to those affected.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

The second and far bloodier event in Paris (first being Je Suis Charlie), it is really a saddening day. I offer my sympathies to every French.

I think they found out that people who have been little exposed to education, suffering from economic hardships were the most susceptible to charismatic but devious religious leaders.

I don't think this is true for the ISIS members however. Many are being recruited even from the internet (as the ISIS representatives have even revealed in their videos). Somehow, I doubt education had a significant impact on those zealots.

I think this is definitely a good way to handle converts in your own country; but it can't be a viable strategy against the groups in and around Syria. Those have to be fought and destroyed.

Truly, apparently. They leave us no choice in the end.

The thing is all the rage and horror one feels. When I first heard of it, I wished I could get my hands on just one of these scumbags... And I can't blame anybody else feeling the same. At times like this, there is often no room for logic.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I'm very concerned these events will cause a large backlash against Muslims. The media and governments have to make it clear that not all Muslims are Salafist like members of IS. Otherwise, an increased animosity towards Muslims may encourage some to become radicalised, increasing the threat. In addition, I'm sure more people will be pushed towards far right groups who encourage a dangerous, combative approach to competing ideologies.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

What nations? Both Turkey and Russia use the fight against Daesh as a pretense to justify attacks in the region. However, Turkey has primarily attacked Kurds (Kurds who are themselves fighting Daesh), and Russia is supporting the Assad regime against the rebels, hardly targeting Daesh at all.

Quite a few nations are trying to bring ISIS down depending on the theatre. Iraq, Iran, the US, the UK, France, etc, they all have contributed in some way to attack ISIS, though how much of that is for selfish reasons is up for debate. And that's just counting nations who have engaged in combat operations.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I don't think french will be able to put up a good fight. Before you can kill them, u have to catch them. ISIS is like a smoke monster, you can't catch smoke monster. These ISIS are the worse of the worse for they truly believe n their own cause. Hopefully, they never get a hold in my country.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I'm very concerned these events will cause a large backlash against Muslims. The media and governments have to make it clear that not all Muslims are Salafist like members of IS. Otherwise, an increased animosity towards Muslims may encourage some to become radicalised, increasing the threat. In addition, I'm sure more people will be pushed towards far right groups who encourage a dangerous, combative approach to competing ideologies.

Dito for all of the above. I also found an article that I think discusses precisely this [link to article].
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I'm worried about this too. After the January attacks against Charlie Hebdo, there must have been some stupid people who mixed islamists and Muslims. This kind of people doesn't necessarly shows up on the medias, but they express their opinion while voting during elections.
The far right group "Front national" seemed to have an increasing popularity, and I fear that it gets more now.

What France has to do now is THE question. Tracking a few djihaddists who live in the country won't solve anything. Big decisions have to be made, cause Daesh isn't going to stop until every recruiting places are found and destroyed. But I'm not a politic, and can't really see concrete solutions, especially knowing that Daesh killers are discrete and generally don't have any criminal history... That's why this kind of tragedies is going to continue, until they are all down.

JasonWhite
JasonWhite
28 posts
Nomad

My deepest condolences to those who are affected.

And i hope that these ISIS attacks stops as soon as possible. Also, i do believe that this IS about religion.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Also, i do believe that this IS about religion.

I think it may be worth to recall, at this point, that those lured by the radical ideologies of those fanatics are usually religiously illiterate themselves, which is precisely one reason that makes them easy targets.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Yep, and that's one half of the problem, that people aren't fully exposed to proper education. On the other side of the coin though, the more nefarious and worrisome issue is that their leaders clearly aren't, with many of them being learned (Or warped) religious jurists and scholars in their own right. These men aren't poorly educated, and many of them have benefited from excellent non-secular/secular educations.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I think another deep concern is the people's general belief that "this cannot happen in a first world country, but it happens every day in the middle east and Africa", which may be the reason the bloody terrorist attacks in Beirut (1 day before the terror attacks in Paris --> 80 + deaths) and in Kenya (the same day as the JeSuis Charlie incident --> 148 deaths) received absolutely no attention by the media, or the people.

First let's clarify that it doesn't happen easily in the Middle East or Africa either. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually more uncommon than people think. Namely, the Beirut attack is the bloodiest in the nation's history since '98 and the one in Kenya, since '90.

Second, it seems as if human lives don't matter that much, the more distance is between us and them. Most of the social media totally ignored the incidents and focused solely in the terror attacks in France, with the one in Kenya even coming up months later (and some people tweeting it as if it was breaking news too).

Lastly and possibly what personally irritates me the most is the french flag replacing everyone's profile photo in the social media. It literally means nothing. To show support, one can actually do something. Donate money to charity, help in anyway possible, there are always ways. On the contrary, this move appears to be a big show-off and nothing more. No, in my humble opinion, one DOESN'T show support this way, or is in any way a humanist.

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

Well you can't show respect to those people by putting a flag into your profile like sir Doom siad there , i still think , after all the things that happened there were with a reason i mean french people did something to disgust them and the other way around , i think that the way french people reacted to it (sending jets to bomb siria's capital) was a bit too risky , it could mean the war between them and even worse create a WW3

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

Bombs were thrown on a Daesh headquarter, and not in the capital Damas. The Syria government is absolutely not the target, so there's no way a real war starts against Syria, I guess.
And to fight against Daesh, I don't think that there is another solution than replying with violence, unfortunately. They aren't the kind of people to be ready to negociate, seeing what they are capable of.

About the flag thing, I actually put it myself on Facebook. I know this isn't a concrete action, and that it doesn't really help the families of the victims. I just see it as a way to show that I'm concerned with what happened, that these events hurt my mind, even if I'm not a physical victim of the attacks. I know it can seem a bit derisory compared to the pain some people suffer from.
One of my friend lost a friend of his, and I know what he's going through.

Showing 1-15 of 21