ForumsThe Tavern1,000 Facts You Didn't Know.

97 38733
TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

This thread is a series of unusual and interesting facts.

What kind of facts? Facts from all corners of the world; from book authors to exercise to quantum physics!

I will start off with number 1 and we will ascend from there, feel free to add on, just get the number right. Also this could be a forum game but it kinda isn't so correct me if I'm wrong.

1. You can hold plutonium in your hand and 'not' have your well being harmed, just don't breath it in.

2. You can't prove that the world was created one minute ago and we're filled with (technically) false memories.

3. The word bullet comes from the French word Bulle which means 'ball'.

• 97 Replies
dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

It is the last in the list because it hasn't been updated for the longest time, not because it was created first.

and this is 92

GhostOfNinja
GhostOfNinja
600 posts
Farmer

93. Not really a fact, but I just want to say that I really like these: http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

dorukayhan
dorukayhan
1,318 posts
Bard

94) now a weird array of facts that shouldn`t stay apart from each other:

-i saw 15 correlations at http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
-15 is divisible by the number of letters in my nickname(it has 5 letters)
-15 also ends with that number(lets call that number X)
-i pressed enter X times in order to get to this line
-15 is also divisible by 3 and it has X-3 digits
-this is the 3(X-3)th fact in this weird array of facts
-3 words in "weird array of facts" has X letters

edit: "sushi cat" has X+3 letters

another edit: this is my 3th post in this thread

95) this fact could appear if it didnt hit a bunch of windows and encounter error 0x000000000000001 while flying

96) i know 95 is a somewhat geeky joke

Esquilache
Esquilache
45 posts
Nomad

You got me there @Doombreed.

97.- In the early stages of its development, Half-Life 2 featured a friendly alien that would follow Gordon Freeman around, feasting on the bodies of his fallen enemies. It was taken out when Valve discovered that the AI would be too difficult to convincingly program.

98.- In 1986, Nintendo released a special Disk System peripheral for the NES in Japan. Among its features was a microphone in the controller, which certain games used, including an updated version of the original Zelda. You could only destroy a certain enemy by shouting into the mic.

99.- The famously awful E.T. game for the Atari 2600 actually sold more than its most famous game, Space Invaders. E.T. sold 1.5 million, while Invaders only shifted a million.

100.- A boss character called Binbag was removed from Rockstar's Manhunt early in its development. He was a psychopath wrapped in black refuse sacks. Lovely.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Esquilache contrary to popular belief you actually CAN sneeze with your eyes open. And no Eyeball will pop out, that's a myth
Well, to be fair, it wouldn't be too hard for someone with a glass eye.

The frequency at which it oscillates is way higher than red light's frequency (which is the end of the visible spectrum with the highest frequency - violet light having the lowest)
You've got that reversed.

101. The earliest known fission reactor is more than one billion years old.
102. George Washington had multiple sets of false teeth, none of which were made of wood.
103. Soylent Green is not made out of people.
Esquilache
Esquilache
45 posts
Nomad

104.- Rockstar also removed a character from Grand Theft Auto 3, although this time it was said to be because of the terrorist attacks on September 11th. He was called Darkel, a homeless guy who'd get you to rig buildings with explosives.

105.- In the video game sequel to John Carpenter's seminal sci-fi horror film The Thing, the legendary director made a cameo appearance as a character called Doctor Faraday. He also oversaw the production of the game to make sure it was faithful to his original vision.

106.- In Pilotwings 64, the character Lark is actually the mascot for famous American games magazine Nintendo Power, Nester. His name was changed at the last minute, probably because PAL gamers wouldn't know who he was.

minecraftsniper
minecraftsniper
697 posts
Herald

107. Homer Simpson was thought to have a secret identity , which would be Krusty the clown , thats why krusty and him look a lot alike
108. Marge Simpson was supposed to have that long blue hair because she was hiding bunny ears , which she would then show everyone , although that idea was discarted you can still see her bunny ears in The Simpsons Arcade game

Esquilache
Esquilache
45 posts
Nomad

109.- Oscar-winning actor Marlon Brando recorded dialogue for EA's Godfather game shortly before he died, but it was deemed unusable due to the bloated thesp's ageing, mumbly voice. Instead, they hired in a sound-alike. What a waste of money, eh?

110.- Vivendi's underrated Scarface game also featured a sound-alike, but this one was personally chosen by Al Pacino himself, hence the spot-on likeness. His name is Andre Sogliuzzo and he's a veteran video game voice actor.

111.- DJ Atomica, the (some would say) annoying announcer in Burnout Paradise, is the same guy who provided the commentary for SSX 3. In Paradise, he makes reference to SSX several times, suggesting it's supposed to be the same character.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

You've got that reversed

@FishPreferred

112. No, the red light has the greatest frequency...the reason we use the terms infra-red ("below" red) and ultra-violet is because we usually categorize the visible spectrum based on wavelength...and wavelength, as shown by the equation:
C = λ * f

where c is the speed of light and λ the wavelength decreases when the frequency is increased (inversely proportional quantities)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Right equation; wrong conclusion.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Electromagnetic-Spectrum.svg/506px-Electromagnetic-Spectrum.svg.png

Esquilache
Esquilache
45 posts
Nomad

113.- The Little Sisters from BioShock didn't start their life as little girls at all, but rather tiny mole-like creatures who scuttled around Rapture collecting Adam. Early concept art also shows them as retro '50s-style robots, too. We think they made the right choice.

114.- UK Radio One DJ, Chris Moyles, was an enemy in the game spin-off of hit TV show 24. He played an Eastern European terrorist, who Jack Bauer found himself fighting at the end of an early level. It was only his face however; the voice was provided by another actor.

115.- Another unlikely celebrity cameo is UK chat show host Jonathan Ross, who 'starred' in Halo 3. He supplies the voice of one of the marines who helps Master Chief, although it's very rare that one of his lines comes up -it's a totally random, and rare, occurrence.

SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

116. In New Mexico there is a town called Las Vegas which was founded 70 years before the much more famous Las Vegas in Nevada.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

117. The Bernoulli effect is not what allows aircraft to fly.

Esquilache
Esquilache
45 posts
Nomad

118.- In The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening, the advisor from the SNES version of Sim City, Dr Wright, appears in a house. He's named after Will Wright, the creator of the Sim series.

119.- In Fallout 2, there's a hidden room in Junktown, in the Cafe Of Broken Dreams, where you can find Dogmeat, the Vault Dweller from the first game's faithful hound.

120.- In the original Super Smash Brothers Melee, the Princess Daisy trophy had a mysterious third eye on the back of its head. Unfortunate glitch? Or something more sinister?

121.- Sony's beautiful monster-toppling adventure game Shadow Of The Colossus was originally going to feature groups of characters on horseback working to take down the colossi cooperatively. This proved too taxing for the PS2's hardware, sadly.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

@HahiHa
Thanks, I reread it and thought something was wrong, haha.

122. In the Europa front in WW1 the Christmas Truce was a short duration of peace between enemies and act of goodwill. Soldiers would walk across no man's land and exchange gifts (typically food, cigars and such). They also sang Christmas carols, it is also said that soldiers from both sides joined hands and sang Silent Night. How they broke the language barrier I do not know...

Showing 46-60 of 97