ForumsWEPR[Are We Screwed Yet?] 2016 US Presidential Election

260 99694
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I figured let's create a master thread for the world event of the year. After all, who won't be watching people jockey viciously for the position of most powerful person in the world?

As of now the situation is as thus:

Republican - Trump running ahead of the pack surprisingly.
Democrat - Less clear, Clinton and Sanders are still duking it out, though Clinton has many more super-delegates to her name.

So this is a thread to post about anything related to the race. Have a favourite candidate to plump for? Feel the system is biased? Angry at the political establishment? Post it here. Hopefully we can get more discussion going when things get heated up!

Personally of all the candidates, I like Clinton the most, and failing that, Trump. Of course, like is a very subjective and relative word.

-Latest-

Republican
Trump: 329
Cruz:231
Rubio: 110
Kasich: 25
Carson: Dropped out

Democrat

Counting Super Delegates
Clinton: 1066
Sanders: 432

• 260 Replies
FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

She did not have many reasonable positions that would satisfy the American people, while Trump, with all his flaws, appeared to be (careful. he wasn't. Just appeared to be) far more honest than her.
How exactly does someone appear to be honest when one third of everything they say consists of blatant lies and another third directly contradicts the remaining third?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

At the very least, this is a wake up call to the American political elite to get their act sorted out. Even though Obama brought change, it didn't trickle down to everyone.

I'm interested to see how the rest of the Republican party in the House/Senate govern their own states. Will they follow Trump? (If he doesn't tone down) Will they follow their own agendas?

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

How exactly does someone appear to be honest when one third of everything they say consists of blatant lies and another third directly contradicts the remaining third?

I have some thoughts about that. You see, as we all know, people were fed up with Hilary. They considered her a big liar and almost evil.

Trump on the other hand had positions that were very populist but he was strong about them. His quotes, for example the "I'll build a big **** wall across the south border and make Mexico pay for it, you mark my words." or some things along those lines, are voiced heavily. Maybe intensely. He says things other politicians are not and he nearly shouts them out. Of course the other politicians don't say these things not just because they are racist, sexist offensive remarks but also because they are flat out lies. But the people think the others are compulsive liars so I believe the logic behind that choice is that 'he is saying the truths no one else says'. People think it's the truth because no one else of the 'liars' says it.

Something similar happened here with the fascists the Golden Dawn fascist political party is the 3rd most popular in the country now.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Trump met Obama for the first time officially. Now he is already starting to backtrack on repealing Obamacare in its entirety, jailing Hillary (Claiming he has much better things to do), or getting Mexico to build the wall (Now it's more of a "technological" wall).

Has he conned ALL of us again?

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

It seem that in many strategic states ran by right wing extremists, the voting obstructions targeting minorities might have been enough to tip the balance for dictator Trump.

These criminals also closed many voting places which created ridiculously long delay (6 hours or more) at the polls .

So yes, the elections were RIGGED by racist Republicans.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

@Nichodemus I was in the camp that Trump was always going over the top and pandering to get more votes, especially of the far right uneducated white population. Little known fact was that Trump used to be a Democrat pre 90's and honestly he's not as stupid as he looks (even though during the debates he was definitely getting creamed, though Hillary allegedly having the questions in advance might have helped).

Everybody needs to honestly chill. Trump is not a dictator and he's CERTAINLY not the next Hitler. You forget that Germany succumbed to Hitler's rule because their economy was nonexistent and people were sad. I don't think the country is in such bad shape yet and I definitely don't think that he's as charismatic as Hitler. I'm pretty certain it's just going to be a quite stale next 4 years.

That being said, I'd like to have seen my boy Bernie be in the last legs of the race, but unfortunately the DNC just completely shut him out because it was 'Hillary's turn' like that was supposed to mean anything?? Hillary's policies sound quite stale and I really hope the Republicans don't try 'trickle down economics' like they have for years because that just doesn't work even if it sounds nice on paper. Like, "Make the rich richer so they create more jobs so people get money!" really doesn't work in the kind of society we have.

On another note, I think the voting system we have today is definitely outdated and inefficient. Not only is the electoral college totally unnecessary with the ability to be able to count votes through the use of computers, but I hear complaints that say we should have more parties than the two party dominance we have in the government, but many don't understand exactly why it's been relegated to two parties.

CGP Grey has an excellent video on this subject that I think you all should check out, and it's only 6 minutes long! (Darn this dangfangled new AG commenting system)

However, if you've no time even for that then

TL;DW The winner takes all type of voting system we have makes it so that people consider voting for 'third parties' a wasted vote even if they agree more with the third party than one of the dominant party's politics, and they'd rather support a candidate of one of the two because at least that party isn't as bad as the other. How to fix the problem? We have to have everybody's vote actually count! A simple fix would be that you'd rank your candidates when you vote. Here's an example;

There are 6 Candidates: A, B, C, D, E, and F. Assuming everybody votes, let's say A has 33% of all votes, B has 30% of all votes, C has 15% of all votes, D has 10% of all votes, E has 9% of all votes and F has a measly 3%.

In our modern US election system, normally A would win, right? But this is despite the fact that only 1/3 of the population actually agrees with A and now we have a government that caters to that 1/3, leaving a approximately 2/3 unsatisfied and more likely to vote for the bigger candidate that can actually win and that they agree more with politically, like A or B. They wouldn't even think about C, much less the other candidates as they all received half or less than even what A or B got.

However, if we ranked our votes, what would happen is as F candidate is effectively last, all of his votes would be considered null and all of the voters from F would go to their choice of second candidate, which let's say they all voted unanimously for E. Combined, he now has 12% of the vote, beating even D. D's candidate drops out because he is the next last candidate and let's say they also happen to have voted unanimously for E, giving candidate E an astonishing 22% of the vote, beating even C in votes. As C is the next new last, they also drop out. Normally, C voters would vote for D voters, but since he dropped out their votes go to the next candidate that they at least prefer over the rest, which happens to be E once more.

This puts Candidate E, a candidate that had 9% votes at first, a stunning 37% of the vote, right on par and even above the other two dominating parties of A and B. B Candidate loses and B voters decide that above all, they'd rather have Candidate E than A as their ruling government, so guess who their votes go to?

This effectively gives even third parties a huge chance to win if they can garner enough support, and hey, if the third party doesn't win, your vote still effectively matters. You get to vote for the party you full believe in. There are no wasted votes. This is a full democracy.

TL;DR Trump is fine, Bernie is bae, voting system reform pls.

Thanks for reading, now back to hibernation I go.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Erm, I forgot to include this video as well as part of my first post

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Everybody needs to honestly chill. Trump is not a dictator and he's CERTAINLY not the next Hitler. You forget that Germany succumbed to Hitler's rule because their economy was nonexistent and people were sad. I don't think the country is in such bad shape yet and I definitely don't think that he's as charismatic as Hitler. I'm pretty certain it's just going to be a quite stale next 4 years.
Not being literally as bad as Hitler is a very low bar to pass. Trump is a wealthy businessman with a history of exploiting people for monetary gain in a variety of ways, occasionally in blatant disregard of the laws. His typical response to even minor ridicule from public figures is to file lawsuits against them.

He will soon be in a position to manipulate U.S. law as he sees fit, provided that he can pander to the senate, which, if I'm not mistaken, currently has a Republican majority. As for his being a Democrat, so, apparently, was James Strom Thurmond.

However, if we ranked our votes, what would happen is as F candidate is effectively last, all of his votes would be considered null and all of the voters from F would go to their choice of second candidate, which let's say they all voted unanimously for E. Combined, he now has 12% of the vote, beating even D. D's candidate drops out because he is the next last candidate and let's say they also happen to have voted unanimously for E, giving candidate E an astonishing 22% of the vote, beating even C in votes. As C is the next new last, they also drop out. Normally, C voters would vote for D voters, but since he dropped out their votes go to the next candidate that they at least prefer over the rest, which happens to be E once more.
Each stage of your explanation requires an exponentially greater coincidence of unlikely events. One of the main reasons A and B garner the most votes is because they have more popularity than most or all of the others. The most plausible outcome would have F's votes redistributed across all parties, E's redistributed over A-E, et cetera, and as you displaced them using the same rationale of "wasted votes", the end result is a two-party system.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I agree with Fish, not being the next Hitler is a really low bar to pass. Then again, even Hitler didn't start out as a dictator from day 1; no one ever did. Trump is definitely a demagogue; that's how he won the elections. But it's not only about him; Steve Bannon will be Trump's chief advisor, and he is described as being known for having clear ties to white nationalism and antisemitism. So while I don't think that Trump will be anywhere like Hitler, I am still worried about what he and especially the people he is nominating around him will do. I mean, have you seen the link to that list of tweets Doom posted on the previous page? That's a direct consequence of Trump's campaign.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Let say Trump is not as bad as he sound and really try to help people.
He has 0 political experience and 0 knowledge about governing so he surrounded himself with vermin.

The first thing he did was to make Pence (homophobic and basically anti women's right) his VP.
Then he added Newt (the Grinch) who thinks women should stay home to cook and raise children.
He divorced his wife because she had cancer.

Trump added this racist wife beating lunatic Bannon who's probably a psychopath as well.
Don't forget Giuliani who's been using 9/11 to become popular and further his career.
Who's next? Todd Akin maybe?
How about Roy Blunt?

This is going to be a disaster.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Bannon in the house. Oh dear.

Even the mainstream Reps don't like Bannon. That's saying something.

But we forget that Hitler's rise was somewhat akin to a perfect storm, the circumstances in Germany were perfect for his rise and grip on power. (A poor democratic check and balance system, a really bad economy, political chaos with armed paramilitaries, etc). America doesn't come close. So, I don't think a Doomsday situation will be on the cards.

But yeah that's not very comforting. Especially if he doesn't carry on working on global warming - Minority rights can be restored in two election cycles at worst BUT the **** planet can't be reset.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

All he needs now is to put David Duke in charge of immigration and we have the complete picture.

On this nightmarish note, time for bed.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I found a good name for dictator Trump.
From now on I'll refer to him as El Trumpissimo.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'll give it awhile before panicking. Let's see his cabinet first.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Here's already one bad thing about el presidente Trumpissimo.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/11/trump-hires-two-net-neutrality-opponents-to-oversee-fcc-transition/

He's already buddy buddy with corporate weasels who want to make even more money off the Internet.

Showing 76-90 of 260