ForumsThe TavernUrban Legends

118 17308
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm always learning about some crazy urban legens and things, so I decided I'd bring a few of my favorites here to AG, for you gusy to look at. I'll explain the legend, and tell you whether or not it's true. I'm only going to put in a few here, but if people like them , I'll post some more.

Coca Cola translated in Chinese means "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!"
Not Quite True
When Coca Cola hit China, they needed to find some Chinese characters that would be pronounced as "ko-ka-ko-la" While the company was searching for a good translation, Chinese shopowners just put together strings of words that sounded like Coca Cola, with no regard as to what they ment. A few were "Female Horse, fastened with wax", "Wax Flattened Mare" and of course, "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!!" The Coca Cola company finally settled on "to allow the mouth to be able to rejoice." translation.

The Camel Spider
Real animal, inaccurate facts
The Camel Spider is a real insect that lives in Iraq, but theres a few exxagerations told about them. Hers a few of the untrue tales.

-Camel Spiders can be as large as dinner plates.
-They can jump several feet in the air.
-They have venom that numbs their victims flesh, allowing them to chew on them as they sleep. (Theres quite a few faux tales of soldiers waking up to find they're missing chunks of meat.)
-Camel Spiders can run on the desert sands 25 MPH, screaming the whole time.
-They latch onto camel's stomachs and lay eggs in them (That's where the name comes from.)
All these tall tales make them sound pretty ferocious, but in truth, Camel Spiers only get a leg-span of about 5 to 6 inches, they can only run 10 MPH, theyre silent, and they have no venom. However, they only use the back three sets of legs for running, the front pair are held up in the air.

Hope you enjoyed these, I'll post more later if you did.

• 118 Replies
Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

I beat big foot did it!

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

wow those spiders are still pretty big and I would hate to see one in my house. Are tarantulas bigger than that though?

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

That's weird, and the picture is funny.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

@Dominated:
Some tarantualas are only the size of a finger nail, whereas the largest ever seen really did hit the epic proportions of a dinner plate size.
@TimeGoesBy
Funny? I saw that when I was a little kid, sure, but even now it's still a bit ominous...

JustLacrosse21
JustLacrosse21
248 posts
Nomad

that is freaky....its scaring me..... im thinking its under my desk... i keep looking around all the time hahaha

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Well florglee2 yeah I think the picture is a little funny, but if you threw a real one at me then I would be scared.

Justlacrosse21 what are you taking about?

SivaledY
SivaledY
185 posts
Nomad

I'm glad those spiders don't live in the U.S.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I think either the camel spider or a miniuature version of the bull that charged the tourist is scaring him.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Or, maybe both are scarring him florglee2 lol.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Hey I just came up with a great Urban Legend:
a rumor that pet alligators flushed down toilets are alive in the sewers.

Florglee2 would you like me to look some stuff up on it?

subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

Wow I am starting to itch all the sudden after seeing that picture. I had heard about camel spiders before but never seen a picture of one that close up. And that is sick that they lay eggs in camels stomachs. Just like Sivaled said, thank god those things don't live in the US.

subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

Timegoesby, that seems a little far-fetched don't you think? And cool armatar, how many AP to get? (sorry to go off topic for a sec, I just have to know)

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Timegoesby, I'm looking it up right now, ill post it here when I got confirmation. If you really wanna see a cael spider up close though, I hear they have them in zoos. Suck if they got out though.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

I heard that if you were on a desk or something and it was pushed off a 5 story building, that if a second or so beofre you hit the ground if you jumped off you would be perfectly fine.

Craze77
Craze77
813 posts
Peasant

Skater. Ive heard that to. Do u want me to test it out???

Showing 16-30 of 118