ForumsThe TavernUrban Legends

118 17310
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm always learning about some crazy urban legens and things, so I decided I'd bring a few of my favorites here to AG, for you gusy to look at. I'll explain the legend, and tell you whether or not it's true. I'm only going to put in a few here, but if people like them , I'll post some more.

Coca Cola translated in Chinese means "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!"
Not Quite True
When Coca Cola hit China, they needed to find some Chinese characters that would be pronounced as "ko-ka-ko-la" While the company was searching for a good translation, Chinese shopowners just put together strings of words that sounded like Coca Cola, with no regard as to what they ment. A few were "Female Horse, fastened with wax", "Wax Flattened Mare" and of course, "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!!" The Coca Cola company finally settled on "to allow the mouth to be able to rejoice." translation.

The Camel Spider
Real animal, inaccurate facts
The Camel Spider is a real insect that lives in Iraq, but theres a few exxagerations told about them. Hers a few of the untrue tales.

-Camel Spiders can be as large as dinner plates.
-They can jump several feet in the air.
-They have venom that numbs their victims flesh, allowing them to chew on them as they sleep. (Theres quite a few faux tales of soldiers waking up to find they're missing chunks of meat.)
-Camel Spiders can run on the desert sands 25 MPH, screaming the whole time.
-They latch onto camel's stomachs and lay eggs in them (That's where the name comes from.)
All these tall tales make them sound pretty ferocious, but in truth, Camel Spiers only get a leg-span of about 5 to 6 inches, they can only run 10 MPH, theyre silent, and they have no venom. However, they only use the back three sets of legs for running, the front pair are held up in the air.

Hope you enjoyed these, I'll post more later if you did.

• 118 Replies
subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

I don't think so skater kid because you would be building up momentum too just like the desk. But maybe florgee would like to research this also?

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Skater, that was tested, (with an elevator, which I think would be what you mean.) and unfortunately, the crash test dummys knee became permanently inserted into his head. It will actually cause you more pain.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Don't Flush Me In!
Not True
Well, this was a headache to research, but I got the goods. Evidently, this legend was spurred in 1935, New York City. A couple teenagers tossing snow into a manhole reportedly saw 2.1 metre long crocodile trapped in the icy waters. After the kids saved it by dragging it up, they were firghtened by it, and pounded it to death with their snow shovels. After this report to police, people were absolutely terrified of sewers, some so much they switched to a sceptic system for their toilets, for fear of being drained into them and devoured by the beasts. (Why dying of starvation in an underground box full of their own crap would be much better, I'm not sure.) This type of hysteria continued for awhile, until it was proven that there would not be sufficient food and other supplies for a croc to survive in the sewers, and they would have a hard time finding a mate. Thus, sewer crocs are nonexistent.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Sweet thanks for getting the info on this legend.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

No problem, thanks for the suggestion.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

hey florglee...did u find the legens show on discovery i told ya bout? wondering cause i didnt check tday or yesterday

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I did, thanks alot, it's a great show! And by the way, if anyone was a suggestion for me to look up, don't hesitate to post it.

chowdollas
chowdollas
672 posts
Nomad

faces of belmez

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

hey...wats the best legend u ever found out?

fransk
fransk
17 posts
Nomad

Hey, florglee, do you know anything about the guys who steal your kidney and put you in a bathtub full of ice?

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Pardon me, chow? Is that a suggestion or something? and Marked, I'll go get that one, be right back.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Dont they eat people?
True, but I doubt you believe me
An article in the Anchorage Daily News announced that 68 year old Charlie Vandergaw has been feeding wild bears (really not recommended) in his backyard for about 25 years. The bears are now so trusting of Charlie, they just come over and hang out. Don't Believe me? I have proof:
http://graphics1.snopes.com/photos/animals/graphics/bearfriend1_small.jpg
http://graphics1.snopes.com/photos/animals/graphics/bearfriend5.jpg
Pretty wild, huh? At least I thought so. And fransk, I've never heard of kidney stealers...could you give me a bit more to work with?

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Wait... I was told camel spiders were on there way to the US! Their goes two years of anti-camel spider work.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

hehe kool

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Ehh, xzeno, how could they get here? I mean, they can't swim, no one would willingly export them here, and it would take years for them to swim here, even if they could. Only way they'd get here is if a terrorist or something dumped them here.

Showing 31-45 of 118