ForumsThe TavernUrban Legends

118 17306
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm always learning about some crazy urban legens and things, so I decided I'd bring a few of my favorites here to AG, for you gusy to look at. I'll explain the legend, and tell you whether or not it's true. I'm only going to put in a few here, but if people like them , I'll post some more.

Coca Cola translated in Chinese means "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!"
Not Quite True
When Coca Cola hit China, they needed to find some Chinese characters that would be pronounced as "ko-ka-ko-la" While the company was searching for a good translation, Chinese shopowners just put together strings of words that sounded like Coca Cola, with no regard as to what they ment. A few were "Female Horse, fastened with wax", "Wax Flattened Mare" and of course, "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!!" The Coca Cola company finally settled on "to allow the mouth to be able to rejoice." translation.

The Camel Spider
Real animal, inaccurate facts
The Camel Spider is a real insect that lives in Iraq, but theres a few exxagerations told about them. Hers a few of the untrue tales.

-Camel Spiders can be as large as dinner plates.
-They can jump several feet in the air.
-They have venom that numbs their victims flesh, allowing them to chew on them as they sleep. (Theres quite a few faux tales of soldiers waking up to find they're missing chunks of meat.)
-Camel Spiders can run on the desert sands 25 MPH, screaming the whole time.
-They latch onto camel's stomachs and lay eggs in them (That's where the name comes from.)
All these tall tales make them sound pretty ferocious, but in truth, Camel Spiers only get a leg-span of about 5 to 6 inches, they can only run 10 MPH, theyre silent, and they have no venom. However, they only use the back three sets of legs for running, the front pair are held up in the air.

Hope you enjoyed these, I'll post more later if you did.

• 118 Replies
MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

yea i like reading these

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'll be right back with two more, one minute.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

I hope that they are good ones

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Now with rapid-fire action!
Not true
When the M16 assault rifle came out, hundreds of thousands were sent across the seas to American Soldiers. The myth is that M-16 assault rifles were manufactured by the Mattel Toy Company. (Famous for their plastic doll, Barbie) This myth actually came from the soldiers in Vietnam using the M-16s. They obviously weren't happy. It was small, light, plastic, and couldn't take the vibrations of gunfire. However it was really cheap. This myth was obviously fueled by the fact that Mattel was making the M-16 Marauder, a toy of an M-16, complete with sound effects. When the soldiers began joking about the quality of their guns, with cracks like "You can tell it's Mattel!", everyone else laughed along. But after the war, when the joke hit mainstream, everyone thought it was true. Thus, a myth is born.

Sorry, I gotta go!
True
In Raiders of the Lost Ark, theres a scene in which a highly skilled swordsman leaps towards Indiana Jones and starts up a flashy routine with a scimitar. The camera then shows Indiana, with a disgusted look on his face, how merely shoots the guy once and kills him. This is one of the most memorable scenes in movie history. But it was an accident. Harrison Ford was supposed to have a long intense battle with sword guy, but at the time, poor Ford needed to use the washroom. Really bad. He knew there would be a break at the end of the scene, but he also knew he wouldn't be able to hold it in till the end of the scene, so he shot the guy and sprinted to the toilet.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

nice legends!

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I love the ndy one, I mean, look at the desperation on his face, poor guy!
http://67.19.222.106/movies/graphics/indiana.jpg

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

florglee2, I love the one about Indiana Jones, because I just rewatched all of the movies.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Hah, I did that too, 'cause the new movie came out, so I wanted to see the old ones. They're pretty classic movies, i'd say Raiders is my favorite, though.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

yeah, they are classics, I liked one and three best, two wasn't that good.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I wasn't expecting alot from Indy 4, but it was actually really pretty good! Any ways, I'm gonna get another myth.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

In League with the Hamburglar
True
This is a photo taken in March of 2001, when Ronald McDonald was carried away by the police.
http://graphics2.snopes.com/photos/odd/graphics/ronald1.jpg
Although this is a great story, that isn't really the real McDonald. In Billings, Montana, a couple of pranksters stole a bolted down figure of Ronald and hung him off a tree. A peedestrian later spotted the figurine, and alerted the police forces, who successfully got Ronald out of the tree and took him away to be returned to his original owners.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Lick It Good
False

There was an email that started circulating in 2000. Here is the email...

"If you lick your envelopes... You won't anymore!!! A woman was working in a post office in California. One day she licked the envelopes and postage stamps instead of using a sponge. That very day the lady cut her tongue on the envelope. A week later, she noticed an abnormal swelling of her tongue. She went to the doctor, and they found nothing wrong. Her tongue was not sore or anything. A couple of days later, her tongue started to swell more, and it began to get really sore, so sore, that she could not eat

She went back to the hospital, and demanded something be done. The doctor took an x-ray of her tongue and noticed a lump. He prepared her for minor surgery. When the doctor cut her tongue open, a live cockroach crawled out!!!! There were roach eggs on the seal of the envelope. The egg was able to hatch inside of her tongue, because of her saliva. It was warm and moist..."

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Wow, that's a pretty far-fetched one, if I heard it myself, I doubt I'd believe it...still extremely disgusting. The thing that gets me, is how did the egg get inside her mouth?

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

actually totalreview that one isnt that far from tru my mom knew sombody that licked an envelope and sum type of eggs (i forgot) were on her lip and they had to remove it

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

actually totalreview that one isnt that far from tru my mom knew sombody that licked an envelope and sum type of eggs (i forgot) were on her lip and they had to remove it

Ew, that's gross. Well, the fake story had it where the eggs got inside the tongue. Has anyone seriously ever cut their tongue from licking an envelope?
Showing 61-75 of 118