ForumsThe TavernUrban Legends

118 17305
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm always learning about some crazy urban legens and things, so I decided I'd bring a few of my favorites here to AG, for you gusy to look at. I'll explain the legend, and tell you whether or not it's true. I'm only going to put in a few here, but if people like them , I'll post some more.

Coca Cola translated in Chinese means "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!"
Not Quite True
When Coca Cola hit China, they needed to find some Chinese characters that would be pronounced as "ko-ka-ko-la" While the company was searching for a good translation, Chinese shopowners just put together strings of words that sounded like Coca Cola, with no regard as to what they ment. A few were "Female Horse, fastened with wax", "Wax Flattened Mare" and of course, "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!!" The Coca Cola company finally settled on "to allow the mouth to be able to rejoice." translation.

The Camel Spider
Real animal, inaccurate facts
The Camel Spider is a real insect that lives in Iraq, but theres a few exxagerations told about them. Hers a few of the untrue tales.

-Camel Spiders can be as large as dinner plates.
-They can jump several feet in the air.
-They have venom that numbs their victims flesh, allowing them to chew on them as they sleep. (Theres quite a few faux tales of soldiers waking up to find they're missing chunks of meat.)
-Camel Spiders can run on the desert sands 25 MPH, screaming the whole time.
-They latch onto camel's stomachs and lay eggs in them (That's where the name comes from.)
All these tall tales make them sound pretty ferocious, but in truth, Camel Spiers only get a leg-span of about 5 to 6 inches, they can only run 10 MPH, theyre silent, and they have no venom. However, they only use the back three sets of legs for running, the front pair are held up in the air.

Hope you enjoyed these, I'll post more later if you did.

• 118 Replies
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Thanks for the feedback, and yeah, we aren't quitting on this.

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

It's actually fun to learn from you :PPP great job

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Thanks, man. I'm probably gonna add some more.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Stick to drivin' the truck.
True
You may not believe this, but Elvis Presley was a bus driver. The day after he graduated high school, he started work as a machinist for 33 dollars a week. That summer, he stopped buy a recording studio, to make a record for his mother. According to Marion Webster, the receptionist, the man who walked in was "shy, a little woebegone, cradling his little child's guitar." After he sheepishly recorded his songs, he left the studio. A year or so later, he quit work as a machinist, and became....(drumroll please!) a bus driver. He drove his bus for a month, until he heard about a band that may just be his ticket to the big time. So he auditioned, rather shyly, and got shot down. Eddie Bond, the band leader, told him to "Stick to driving buses, you'll never make it as a singer."

Stormchaser
Stormchaser
278 posts
Nomad

I heard about those things about 2 years ago. (camel spiders)
My moms friend who was in Iraq heard stories how soilders would wake up and chunk of meat would be ripped of from there body (like you said) and the spider would take the bullet when they shot it. Scary but not true

Stormchaser
Stormchaser
278 posts
Nomad

Elvis Presley a bus driver WOW
Eddie Bond must feel like an idiot now
lol

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

I think we know what Eddie Bond regrets most lol.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

That poor Bond guy, isn't one of the 3 stooges named Eddie? Hmm....suspicious....

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

lol, I gess the 3 stooges might be based on a true story

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Lol, that would be great. I could see the advertisements:

"And now, the dumbest stooge of them all, Eddie! He's so slow, he told Elvis he couldn't song."

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

No I got a better one
first there was the three stooges, now there is Eddie! they guy that said Elvis couldn't sing (we will still use the same name because we are too dumb to change it, hence the show).

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Lol, nice one. I'll add another few myths like tommorow, cuz today is too late.

cycloolephin
cycloolephin
73 posts
Nomad

Cool.

Showing 106-118 of 118