ForumsThe TavernUrban Legends

118 17321
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm always learning about some crazy urban legens and things, so I decided I'd bring a few of my favorites here to AG, for you gusy to look at. I'll explain the legend, and tell you whether or not it's true. I'm only going to put in a few here, but if people like them , I'll post some more.

Coca Cola translated in Chinese means "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!"
Not Quite True
When Coca Cola hit China, they needed to find some Chinese characters that would be pronounced as "ko-ka-ko-la" While the company was searching for a good translation, Chinese shopowners just put together strings of words that sounded like Coca Cola, with no regard as to what they ment. A few were "Female Horse, fastened with wax", "Wax Flattened Mare" and of course, "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!!" The Coca Cola company finally settled on "to allow the mouth to be able to rejoice." translation.

The Camel Spider
Real animal, inaccurate facts
The Camel Spider is a real insect that lives in Iraq, but theres a few exxagerations told about them. Hers a few of the untrue tales.

-Camel Spiders can be as large as dinner plates.
-They can jump several feet in the air.
-They have venom that numbs their victims flesh, allowing them to chew on them as they sleep. (Theres quite a few faux tales of soldiers waking up to find they're missing chunks of meat.)
-Camel Spiders can run on the desert sands 25 MPH, screaming the whole time.
-They latch onto camel's stomachs and lay eggs in them (That's where the name comes from.)
All these tall tales make them sound pretty ferocious, but in truth, Camel Spiers only get a leg-span of about 5 to 6 inches, they can only run 10 MPH, theyre silent, and they have no venom. However, they only use the back three sets of legs for running, the front pair are held up in the air.

Hope you enjoyed these, I'll post more later if you did.

• 118 Replies
Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I would hate to see that. I might even barf.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Good Ol' Napoleon...no not Bonaparte, Dynamite!
True
The Idaho Legislature passed a bill praising the makers of Napoleon Dynamite. Why? Heres some of their "reasons":

The Tator Tots featured in this film are a big Idaho export
Napoleon and Pedros friendships fuels multiethnical relationships.
Uncle Rico's football skills are a testament to Idahoes athletics
Napoleon's Skateboard and Bike caravan promotes carpools
Any members how vote "Nay' on the resolution are "freakin' idiots!" and risk having the "Worst day of their lives!"

Aww, what a little...Ugly Wugly!
True
In San Fransisco, every year, they run the "Worlds Ugliest Dog" contest. This dog, named Sam, is the three year running champ.
http://graphics1.snopes.com/photos/animals/graphics/uglydog.jpg
That is a real dog, not edited or staged in any way. How he's so creepy looking, I'm not too sure.

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=Found%20Out%20Over%20Twenty%20New%20Legends

MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

i need to try sumthing (hope it works and srry for off topic)

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Not, bad ones keep them coming.

Strongbow
Strongbow
324 posts
Nomad

Here's something that might work...

NAZZZZA

In May of this year, NASA wanted to study the effects of microgravity in humans, particularly the effects of muscle atrophy. Participants were offered $17,000 to lie in bed for 90 days.
(Wired.com,05/07/08)

Smelly Situation

Scott Sullivan, 35, was arrested in Van Buren, Ark., in June and charged with kidnapping and assaulting his mother. He told police that he became upset when her dog killed his pet skunk.
[WTPY-TV (Memphis)-AP, 06/23/08]

chowdollas
chowdollas
672 posts
Nomad

spider eggs

this is based on true facts and can happen to anyone but this is an exxageration of the real thing unless your not careful

a little girl had a bump on her left cheek on her face so she told her mom about it her mom its probaly just a bite dont scratch it the little girl said ok few days later it got bigger mom said dont scratch it few more days it got bigger mom said dont scratch its coming to a head few more days later it got bigger the girl complained it was ugly so they went to the doctors office the doctor said it was just a cyst so he gave her anti biotics to tone it down few more it got bigger and it moved a bit but the mom said just keep taking the anti biotics then one day she decided to take a bath when the hot water got to contact with her skin the boil burst releasing billions of baby spiders from the eggs the mother spider left in her skin

Lena_girl
Lena_girl
45 posts
Nomad

Wow I learn something new everyday! I thoroughly enjoy these random facts

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Nice new ones, it always nice to hear new some different ones.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I ought to get more legends, be right back.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Tuesday's Dough
True, try it out!
This is a classic myth, and one that might actually help you. The plastic bread tags on bags of bread loaves to indicate the day they were packaged on. Heres the chart, have a look:
Monday: Blue
Tuesday: Green
Thursday: Red
Friday: White
Saturday: Yellow
Next time you go to the supermarket, try this out, and it'll make sure you get fresher bread

Plenty to go Around!
True, but you won't believe me.
This is a real recipe, from a cookbook made by Californian hoe economics teachers. The name is stuffed camel, and as it's pretty long, I'll only list the ingredients.
1 medium camel
1 large sheep
20 chickens
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos pine nuts
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachios
110 gallons of water
5 pounds of pepper
Salt, to taste.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Sorry for posting again, but I had to add this one.

If looks could kill, he wouldn't need them.
False, obviously, but still funny.
In 25 March, 1993, a man supposedly died. But how? He was too young for old age, there wasn't a mark on him, and no signs of poison in his blood. After alot of hard thinking, a definite answer was found. Due to a terrible diet of fast food, and tacos and burritos, and pork and beans and such, as well as the complete lack of any ventilation, the man died of his own gas. This story was backed up by the fact that three of the rescuers got ill, and one was hospitalized. (In case you forgot, this is a fake story.)

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

lol, hilarious.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm gonna bump this up, maybe add more later.

Kanos
Kanos
175 posts
Nomad

These are great add more please

Showing 91-105 of 118