ForumsThe TavernUrban Legends

118 17322
florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I'm always learning about some crazy urban legens and things, so I decided I'd bring a few of my favorites here to AG, for you gusy to look at. I'll explain the legend, and tell you whether or not it's true. I'm only going to put in a few here, but if people like them , I'll post some more.

Coca Cola translated in Chinese means "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!"
Not Quite True
When Coca Cola hit China, they needed to find some Chinese characters that would be pronounced as "ko-ka-ko-la" While the company was searching for a good translation, Chinese shopowners just put together strings of words that sounded like Coca Cola, with no regard as to what they ment. A few were "Female Horse, fastened with wax", "Wax Flattened Mare" and of course, "Bite The Wax, Tadpole!!" The Coca Cola company finally settled on "to allow the mouth to be able to rejoice." translation.

The Camel Spider
Real animal, inaccurate facts
The Camel Spider is a real insect that lives in Iraq, but theres a few exxagerations told about them. Hers a few of the untrue tales.

-Camel Spiders can be as large as dinner plates.
-They can jump several feet in the air.
-They have venom that numbs their victims flesh, allowing them to chew on them as they sleep. (Theres quite a few faux tales of soldiers waking up to find they're missing chunks of meat.)
-Camel Spiders can run on the desert sands 25 MPH, screaming the whole time.
-They latch onto camel's stomachs and lay eggs in them (That's where the name comes from.)
All these tall tales make them sound pretty ferocious, but in truth, Camel Spiers only get a leg-span of about 5 to 6 inches, they can only run 10 MPH, theyre silent, and they have no venom. However, they only use the back three sets of legs for running, the front pair are held up in the air.

Hope you enjoyed these, I'll post more later if you did.

• 118 Replies
Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

I think I like the In League with the Hamburglar more lol.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Well, I think I might've got a papercut on my tongues off the edge of an envelope. Personally, I don't think the eggs were used to make the sticky stuff, they just got on them from lying around.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

What's for Dinner?
Not true, but a good story

A young couple were going out for dinner one day, and they hired a babysitter to watch over their 3- month old baby. When she had come, the mother briefed over just about everything with her, where the formula was, different cell phone numbers, etc. The father was ready to leave, but the mother was still nervous, but the sitter eventually talked her down enough to trust her, and eventually, after putting the baby down for a nap, they left. With a sigh of relief, the sitter turns on the T.V and relaxes for awhile while the baby was napping. She opens up her purse, and pulls out a hit of GHB.
The parents are at a gathering with some friends to enjoy a nice Saturday night. They all decide to go to a fancy restaurant. Meanwhile, the sitter is in a hallucinatory heaven. Bright colors, and distorted shapes all over. The mother calls the house phone, asking if everything is ok. The sitter assures her that everything is fine, she had even put a ham in for dinner and hangs up. The mother begins to worry even more. She hadn't bought a ham. They hurry home and find the sitter in a high. The father grabs her and starts to interrogate while the mother goes into the kitchen. She opens up the oven, and the dead, roasting corpse of the baby sit on a pan.

A really good anti- drug story

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Strange, here is a real one about the flying cow.
Flying Cow
True story

A group of friends were having a party on there boat. Then out of the sky a COW falls breaking the boat in half. When the police came they told the story, but the police didn't believe them. They were then put in jail for line to the police and causing distress.
One day later the Russian government called. They said that one of there planes had been fly over with a farmer and his cow. The farmer got mad at the cow and pushed it out of the plane, right above were the group of friends boat had been,
The group of friends were giving apologies by the police and let go.

Hamstertime
Hamstertime
24 posts
Nomad

I would hate to have a cow fall on me or even near me.
I hate seeing dead animals, and I would be shocked for life.

McDonalds would be like: "Wooot! Free Beef!"

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Negative Snacking!
True
Have you ever wanted to eat something, and not gain any calories? I sure haven't. But, just in case you did, have a look at this myth. It's been circulating for awhile, and most people doubt it. But it's true, that celery has negative calories! It takes more calories to eat the celery than there actually is in the celery.

Say...this is pretty good!
Also True
This is a suprising myth, and one of my personal favorites. The story goes that in 1853, a man named George Crum worked as head chef at the Moon Lake Resort. Crum was not a cheery guy, he was more of a Hell's Kitchen type of chef. So, one day when a customer complained the french fries were to too thick and soggey, and that were wasn't enough salt on them, the angry chef sought revenge. So he sliced the potatoes extra thin, fried them till they were singed, and salted the daylights out of them. Then he slammed down the devilish concoction in front of the customer. The man tried one, smiled, and proceeded to devour the entire plate. Thus, potato chips were born!

The Colt Python makes way for...the Python?
It's a true Trifecta!
In many hold ups, the weapon of choice is a gun, a baseball bat, or a knife. However one more astonishing myth shows another option, which is really pretty popular. In India, a gang of men carrying snakes over their necks and arms terrorize local women for their money. In one incident, they surrounded a three wheeled taxi, and scared the driver into giving them his fare money. This same type of hold-up isn't limited to just India, either. There's even a case from New Jersey!

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I have heard the first 2 before. Have you ever seen hells kitchen?

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I've seen commercials, and theres some guy who blows his top all the time, so I figured thats about what Crum was like.

Timegoesby
Timegoesby
1,006 posts
Nomad

Has anyone heard of the trunk Monkey ads?

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

No, i haven't, and Subaru, your link worked, don't worry.

subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

kk thx, but for some reason it didn't work for me... thats weird

subarublue89
subarublue89
323 posts
Nomad

so did you guys like my link? I love adding random fun facts to my memory

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

Yeah, it's pretty cool, learning new random stuff.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Hang or Treat
True

We all love Halloween. There's the candy, costumes, spooky stuff, dead people, and so much more! Wait a minute, when did dead people get into this mix? On October 26, 2005, a woman had hung herself in someone's yard. She fit right in with the decorations. She was out in public view for several hours. Many people just figured it was a decoration. So remember kids, if you see a hanging body/decoration, don't go near it.

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

I heard about a variation of that, where a man trying to hang a fake skeleton slipped off the ladder and hung himself in the noose. Either way, it's pretty eery to think of how that could happen.

Showing 76-90 of 118