ForumsWEPRReligion: Root of all evil?

126 21876
theslide
theslide
6 posts
Nomad

Personally, I think the world would have been better off without it. But some, sadly, need religion. They need "truth" fabricated, instead of thinking for themself. I take the evidence presented to me, and come to a conclusion based on facts. "Faith" is a word to keep the illution of truth at place. I KNOW most disagree, since many are religious. Religion has done some good, but in my opinion, it has done far more evil.

• 126 Replies
DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

@theslide

I agree. Religion in all forms will be partially or fully corrupt. All religion boils down to Mans attempt to either 'Reach God' or 'Make sense of his surroundings'.

While I'm against Religion, I do believe in Jesus Christ. His life on earth was an example of love, and His miracles and resurrection proved that He was Gods Son.

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

man is the root of all evil.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Dan,
You're against religion... but you express things like a christian would. In fact, on another forum you again professed your christianity. I can't seem to come to terms with that apparent contradiction.
But to answer the question, I don't see how you can claim that the world would have been better of without religion. Humanity's search for a purpose and to understand the world around them at some point led to a concept of religion.
But in all seriousness, can you define religion? And what necessary aspects of it make it evil?

KidCorpFounder
KidCorpFounder
63 posts
Nomad

Christianity,Voo-doo,Baha-Faith,Hindu,Shinto:the're all the same when it comes right down to it.

For example,all religions beleive in a/some god/gods.

Every country has soem of every religion in it.
For example:Iraq is a Muslim country,but it is where the first 63 pages of the old testament was written in the Christian Bible.

You see?
All religions are the same when you narrow it down.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Kid,
If your statement were true, then I think many people would agree with you. But I think the fact that there is religious intolerance and persecution means that most people find a very significant difference in religions... whatever they are.

SnowballFighter
SnowballFighter
133 posts
Nomad

First off all, not all religious people are nuts who claim that their beliefs are definitely "true". Some religious people acknowledge that nothing is true until it is proven. And I am sick of people blaming religion for all the worlds problems. Religion as a whole is not at fault. It's the few extremists who take it too far, that cause problems.

I am a proud Shinto man. I have never caused an issue for anyone. I love science. And no science conflicts with my beliefs of spirits. I never get in an argument with anybody, because as soon as science proves something, I, of course, believe it. There are plenty of people who can believe in their religion and in science at the same time.

Back when I used to be Christian, I believed that God created evolution, and calculated the exact conditions and events that would need to occur for evolution to form humans, and that God saw to it that those events and conditions happened. I chose not to believe in hell, and dismissed the section in the bible about "sins" as just a little "addendum" the people who wrote that stuff down decided to add in to try and control other people.

Because of those beliefs, I never got in an argument with anyone. Now as a follower of Shinto, I never argue with anyone.

It's not religion as a whole, it's the extremists who refuse to have an open mind and deny stuff that has been proven by science, who cause problems and conflict.

There are plenty of ways that beliefs in heaven and beliefs in science can co-exist. Some people refuse to make their beliefs compatible with proven facts of nature. But don't you dare file me and others in with those people.

So, restating my opening, not all religious people are closed-minded nuts who believe their religious texts and guidelines word for word and refuse to acknowledge science. That is a stereotype. A very false one. And I'm living proof that it's a false one.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

@Moegreche

I am against religion. When I speak of Christianity, I speak of one who has a relationship with Jesus Christ, and not someone who adheres to mans principle and attempt to reach God.

Religion = Mans attempt to Reach God and be a better person.

Jesus Christ = God reaching out to Man through his Son Jesus Christ.

In fact; Jesus was probably one of the biggest activist against religion. You should read some of the old testament accounts of Him trashing the temple and going after the religious zealots of the day. Jesus hated Religion.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I have actually read those. Isn't that one interpretation of why he was singled out to be crucified?
I seem to remember he trashed the temples because they had essentially turned them into marketplaces, which I can see why that upset him.
So I'm trying to understand what you're saying (it's hard for me to separate Jesus from religion). He would be a role model for you it seems, but it would stand to reason that you don't go to church or anything. Is this correct? Oh, and feel free to not answer, I know it's kind of invasive of me, I was just curious. I have honestly never heard of this type of approach before.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

Here's a short video that better explains why I hate religion.

Click Here

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

This may be reducing what you believe too much Dan, so please correct me if I am not understanding. Jesus is a motivator for you to live a more fulfilling life by recalling his actions and teachings. A more intrinsic view of life instead of "If you do X and don't do Y you are going to hell!" Is this down the right track?

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

It's not reducing what I believe, but better highlights what I feel the message of Jesus was.

I don't see Jesus as a motivator, because if his message was false, then Paul states in the book of Corinthians that we are liars and false witnesses to God.

Why I like Jesus:
*He loves me unconditionally
*He lived the perfect life so that I can have a personal relationship with God
*He proved that He was God by his life, death and resurrection from the grave.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Very interesting. So what this establishes is just a descriptive, rather than normative ethical discipline. This does fit into some kind of gray area of "religion."

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

@Moegreche

Do you consider Atheism a religion?

Kurgle
Kurgle
163 posts
Nomad

It is not religion, it is man.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Well the classical definition of atheism is just "no god." While I think some people might consider certain beliefs that don't involve god to be a religion, I do not consider atheism to be one.

Showing 1-15 of 126