ForumsSupport ForumPointless Random Names

116 15305
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Personally I am sick of seeing users with random names. I'm not going to point any out.

examples are:

asdsadsdasddsa

or

Users with names like this should be told that they need to create a new account with an actual name, if they refuse then they should be automatically banned.

I know that sounds harsh, but it makes the site look sloppy. If users cant have a serious name, how can we take them serious as someone whom will actually use this site. Or as someone who will not spam.

Also all it take is for them to forget one letter in their name, and bam, They cant use their account anyway.

Something needs to be done.

• 116 Replies
slliM
slliM
1,463 posts
Nomad

I probably wouldn't take someone serious if their name was pie_lover.
Just saying.

OctoberSnow
OctoberSnow
207 posts
Nomad

Maybe they don't want to be Pie_Lover. They might want to be that cool acronym that seems like random letters. ihtlp is a cool name.

blahblahredjkblah
blahblahredjkblah
2 posts
Nomad

So, Cholo, if I decided to go on this account now, you would hate me? ROFL. Or take me seriously? (As if I ever was)

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

What if Firetail had called him self ftmftmftmftm. He would still be number 1 and a great member of the community.

But you see, he DIDN'T make his name that. His personality was to actually put some thought into it. FTM may be an acronym of Firetail_Madness but he obviously didn't want his name to be ftmftmftm. Everyones personality leads them to make their name something. If they don't have the time to think about what they would like to be recognized for, then they wouldn't have the time to comment games properly, or respond to a post properly. How can you expect someone who doesn't spend 10 seconds to come up with a name to spend 2 minutes responding correctly to the question asked? How can you expect them to take the time to play a game, then rate it. Not rate it and move on? The point is, when someone just wants to get something over with, without any effort, they wont put any effort into making the site a better place.
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

So, Cholo, if I decided to go on this account now, you would hate me? ROFL. Or take me seriously? (As if I ever was)

You just said it yourself. You didn't make that account in seriousness.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Maybe you should pull someone over with a random name and ask them why they chose it. I don't think anybody inputs numbers randomly just because they think it's funny. It means something or it's something easy that they would remember.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Yes, I didn't. But what would be the difference?

OctoberSnow
OctoberSnow
207 posts
Nomad

He may not have been serious but I know a lot of randoms like their names. Can I get some concrete reason why you don't like randoms?

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Yes, I didn't. But what would be the difference?

You just proved my point. The difference is, the account you made with a serious name, you are serious about. But the one where you didn't put thought into it, and was not serious about, you aren't serous about the account. Now what we have is another ghost account that no one will use.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

why does everything have to be serious?
asdasdasdasd could be an old password but he decided to use it as a name
putting effort into making a site better? you can't control what people do even if they have a name that you can understand

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

I think that that's a clever name, not a bad name.

ihtlp is a cool name.

Reminds me of HTML or http...

I dislike names like asdfigfaih. I also dislike names only slightly different to another, eg. darkness, _darkness_ or darkness01... It doesn't mean they can't be a good member of the community, it might be showing creativity, (eg brsingr, and only those who read eragon might understand that. Perhaps they have written something in code also?!) or it might show lack of creativity, but that doesn't mean they can't be a good community member...
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Cholokid, life is not serious. That's the point, it's the spice of it. That doesn't mean we all have to be serious and have good clean little short names that sound happy to have a great community. That would lack creativity.

OctoberSnow
OctoberSnow
207 posts
Nomad

I think Firetail-madness is right. I'm still waiting for a concrete list of reasons Cholo

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

why does everything have to be serious?
asdasdasdasd could be an old password but he decided to use it as a name
putting effort into making a site better? you can't control what people do even if they have a name that you can understand

I am someone who actually hates things to be serious. But it makes me mad, when people create accounts on of randomness. Firetail created an account with a random name. Hes never going to be on that account. *cough* Ghost Account *cough* I'm pretty sure ghost accounts are something that is looked down at.

it might show lack of creativity, but that doesn't mean they can't be a good community member...

How many people with random names do you see active most days, and supporting the community?
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

would plokkey be one?

Showing 31-45 of 116