ForumsSupport ForumAuto-Block Repeated Threads

62 8156
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Don't you hate when people duplicate threads?I personally get annoyed and makes my head explode.

What if when someone makes a thread similar to another using similar words and something like this would come out.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-17.jpg?t=1226095084

The "Etc." things would be links to those threads.

What do you think?

• 62 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Ermm.. I like this idea and all, but this would have to work only by a key word. Also if users knew (and they will) find out how to get past the auto-block, they will do so. I'm all up for it, but it would have to be pretty complex.

Binary_Illusion
Binary_Illusion
300 posts
Jester

hmm... Well at first thought it sounds like a great idea. But I see a problem in it.
Now if we had just one topic for just one well topic. then each thread would be like 1000 pages long, and you could never find the answer. I know it gets really annoying answering the same thing over, and over but I think it would be faster to just ask.

But I think there should be a script built in that searches the thread for the words in the topic them selves. I.e. like a topic on merits. The user is asking how to get merits. so the search finds those similar words, and redirects the user to that topic and highlights them or something. so the answer could be found.

Thats what I think.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Maybe it could search it by key words in the thread name?I doubt there would be any not-locked topics to choose form.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Now if we had just one topic for just one well topic. then each thread would be like 1000 pages long, and you could never find the answer.

Huh?? That made no sense. You are probably looking for a "Forum", AKA a section of the board that houses threads of a particular genre.

This being said, No forum has ever been 1000 pages long. Half of the users never look past page 3 anyways (A big no-no, another reason why threads are duplicated)!!

This idea of Wan's would be beneficial to a point where moderators would have to work less as hard, but this would require a strong coding. And last time we had a code with key words, it didn't work, and users received threads and games that did not contain those keywords.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Yeah i know what you mean.In the future maybe we could have a strong coding to implement these ideas don't you think?

Wan?

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

That's how you pronounce your name right? =P

Don't get me wrong this idea is fantastic, and I wish that we had this now. But AG is still in it's infant years and still needs a few tweaks to be better. =/

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

That's how you pronounce your name right? =P

Jaja lazy man!

Don't get me wrong this idea is fantastic, and I wish that we had this now. But AG is still in it's infant years and still needs a few tweaks to be better. =/

None taken =)

I agree with you because AG is still improving as time goes by.As for now, AG is focusing in very basic stuff.
plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

This wouldn't work, I have found major flaws. Topics are not exactly the same. If it went by keyword, then it would end up like the community search. Pretty much all the topics would be on the list.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

It'd be pretty hard to implement first of all, if it was Automatic. Second, there are, I'm sure, lots of devices online that can get through this blocker. I'm pretty sure there are spammers out there who just want to mess with systems.

dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

Yeah, people would mess with it somehow. And, it really depends on how many words havee to be similar before it blockes it out..................

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Whie this may be good on one hand, the oter is not so good.

Lets put the bad hand into a stiuation. Say Phil wants to make a thread about Why Obama got to be president. Of course, there are so many threads out there about Obama, so Phil's thread gets deleted before it even gets posted. Poor Phil. ;P

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

How is that bad?I think it's good the duplicated thread is not made.

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

How is that bad?I think it's good the duplicated thread is not made.

That would just block pretty much all the threads.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

It's not bad, It just had a lot of drawbacks.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

That would just block pretty much all the threads.

Would you rather have one thread where everything is said rather than having to explain it every single day?
Showing 1-15 of 62