ForumsWEPRtobacco

145 28175
barneythebeast
barneythebeast
12 posts
Nomad

by tobacco i mena ciggerates in general.
I belive they should be illegal because they cause so much death even from second hand smoking. i know peolpe go nuts without there nicotine but they have gum and patches that will help.
i want to know your opinions on this subject at hand. (wether or not it should be illegal and why)

• 145 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

To add to my opinion, I am not a cigarette smoker. But I do enjoy a clove cigarette (which is about 20% tobacco). I also really love smoking out of my hookah, which takes a form of tobacco soaked in a flavored molasses.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Whoa whoa... let's not bring back prohibition or anything. You know, thinking back to that time period, that was one of the major factors in solidifying organized crime's influence in this country. People are going to do things like smoke and drink - it's better off for everyone if they're just allowed to do those things. The government taxes the bejesus out of these items; think of the ramifications of not having that tax income.
I don't think the government should be involved in making paternalistic laws just to keep people from doing things in excess. There are just people who are like that with all sorts of things - food, shoes, sexual partners, etc.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Actually, the hookah is just as bad as a cigarette or cigar. Although I hate the smoke that it has, I do actually kind of want to try it. This revelation destroys my last post partially, Even though I am still too young to smoke and never tried the hookah. NEVER going to try cigarettes or cigars though.
My family/arabic friends all like it, but none are addicted. They do it less than once a month. I think that it somehow eliminates the addiction factor.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

I hate to double post, but:
I just said that Moegreche, but thanks for elaborating. Once again, totally agree.
I did not see your post, so I was clarifing that I was in response to Asherlee
Also, a picture (just to not make this useless.)
http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Belmont_HS/tkm/Pics/Hookah/hookah.gif

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

I heard it from somewhere that the U.S. can't really function as well as it does now if we were to shut down tabacco making companies because they bring in so much of the country's economy. I hate smoking and I don't really like people that smoke, but I really doubt that they are going to make it illegal anytime soon because even though it's really harmful for the human body, they are long term effects, I mean really long term effects. I bet if as soon as you start smaking you developed cancer then they would probably make it illegal because then they'll realize how bad and unhealthy it is for your body.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Chili, smoking shisha is not the same as smoking a cigarette. Let me break it down.

Cigarette = poisonous additives + tobacco
Shisha = pure tobacco + a lot of molasses

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

And don't forget pipe and cigar smoking. I really enjoy sitting back with my pipe and a good book, and since you don't inhale a pipe you only get mouth cancer!

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Nick also brings up another great point that I made a while back in another topic about education and the legalization of marijuana. This is how I see it.

Cigarettes are taxed like a mofo (as Moegreche said). The government benefits from those taxes, and so do the people to an extent. So when you make something, like a substance illegal the government loses all those taxes then spends EVEN MORE on anti-tobacco campaigns to reduce the law breaking.

Now, what I said about marijuana is this: in the early 90s Bush Sr. spent MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS on anti-marijuana campaigns. Remember the "this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" crap? Yea, money down the toilet when it just made pot heads laugh. Instead marijuana is a billion dollar market that our country doesn't profit from. So if it were legal, then taxed and all those anti campaigns were tossed all that freaking money could go into public schools, public health, anything really.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Oh and one more thing, Moegreche is completely right about paternal laws (I love Mills). They never seem to work out.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

Yes, excellent. I could be a pot head and support my local school! Right now, I'm just supporting terrorism (according to tv commercials).

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
637 posts
Peasant

Ahh... I get it. I heard a cigarette has over 1000 poisons, but I don't know the exact truth. I am guessing a good many of these don't really harm you.
I never heard a shisha had these poisons but I (apparently wrongfully) assumed that the same thing went for it.

SnowballFighter
SnowballFighter
133 posts
Nomad

I don't believe cigs should be illegal. However, I do believe that we should offer a "tie the person to the chair, put a pee bucket under them, and spoon feed them for a set number of days straight until they stop craving cigs" cure for anyone who wants to quit but can't. And yes, I'm being serious when I say that. In fact, if there's any way I can get a legal right to do that to someone who signs a contract, I might just open up a business doing that for people.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Actually, Asherlee, I heard t from somewhere that the only reason that marijuana is illegal is because it can't be taxed. It can't be taxed because people can just grow it in there backyards.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

People are also allowed to brew up to 250 gallons of alcohol per year for their own consumption. You could also grow your own tobacco if you wanted (well, depending on where you live). I make beer and wine and I still buy beer and wine. If it can be sold in a store, it can be taxed.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

They have somewhere around 500 chemical additives to cigarettes. And yes they do harm you.

And Shisha (which is what is smoked out of the hookah) doesn't have those additives. Speaking of, I have a shipment of Shisha coming in from Egypt in a few days.

Showing 16-30 of 145