ForumsWEPRThe War in Iraq

83 16868
Cheeseball
Cheeseball
30 posts
Nomad

Why do you think we are fighting in Iraq for Oil or Peace? and do you think we should have gone to Iraq in the first place?

• 83 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

The US government changed the reason for going in the current war far too many times. First, it was based on the 9/11 attacks. Then it phased into Saddam having weapons of mass destruction(which he did not have and could not of even made)...and after he was dead it was all about trying to free the Iraqi people from their robes of oppression and usher in an age of democracy. I wonder what the next excuse will be...

The US would not even be in the war currently if its citizens did not vote Bush in office for his second term. And I can not believe some blind fools commend him for following through with his choices. That is like prasing a fat kid for eating more cake because he wanted to. He used the war as leverage to keep him in office for a second term. US citizens almost never vote out a president during the middle of a war, for some reason. So here it is...almost 2,000 days after "Mission Accomplished" and still no end is in sight...

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

I know Bush supports big business, but I seriously doubt we're in Iraq for oil. I haven't seen a drop of the black stuff supplied to us over here, and gas prices are steadily rising. I strongly agreed with the decision to go hunt down Osama bin Laden and Al-Qaida after the 9-11 attacks, but I figure the reason we're in Iraq now is while we were in Afghanistan, President Bush just decided to go after Saddam Hussein while our army was nearby. To kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Also, with reports of WMDs there was no choice but to investigate. We never found them (one theory says they were moved to Syria; maybe they were never there at all), but while we were there looking, Saddam raised his army threateningly, so we smacked him down. Of course, we wouldn't be in Iraq right now if Bush Sr. had killed Saddam when he had the chance. I still think it was the right thing to liberate Iraq. What I've heard says most of their population is grateful to us for it. Those that are still attackig us now are mostly terrorists from countries other than Iraq who pegged Iraq as an easy target in the political chaos following the dethroning of Hussein. What's the current number of American soldiers to have died in this war? Somewhere around three or four thousand? Consider this: we lost more than that in half an hour during WWII, and we WON that war. Also consider that a hundred times more terrorists than soldiers have died. In WWII we stayed out of the war until attacked. Same with 9-11. In WWII we risked everything to dethrone a madman. Same with Iraq. Also during WWII our soldiers had the full support of the American population to back them up. However, starting in the 1960s with Vietnam and Korea, people stopped supporting our soldiers and protested the war instead, and we haven't completed a single war victoriously since then. I wonder why?!? Our soldiers need support, people! And so does our President! Even if you think he was wrong to go into this war, the fact is we ARE in it now, in a rather sticky situation, and our military needs the support of the American people to finish the job! If everyone stopped complaining about how stupid it is and actually helped out, or at least stopped booing at our army, we might have this wrapped up in no time. The longer people protest this, the less encouraged the military will feel to take decisive action, and the longer this will all drag out. As for the national debt, we could pay that off in under a decade if we cut the unnecessary programs funded by Congress (before anyone says otherwise, the war is NOT an unnecessary project), and if Congress stopped "misplacing" large sums of money. Do you know how much money has gone into Congress to disappear and never be seen again? Sounds like thievery to me. To sum up about the war, I don't care how or why we got into it, but we cannot retreat and show the world we're cowards, and allow terrorists to roam freely. We have to FINISH this.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I AGREE

anyways if we pull out of the war now...what of all those we've lost and all the resources we've spent? They'd be completely IN VAIN!!!
âThese things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world â¦
⦠and then we fucked up the end gameâ-quote from Charlie Wilson's War
and that's exactly what we did with this war

Radiation_Rocks
Radiation_Rocks
5 posts
Nomad

Join us in our campain

netrino
netrino
83 posts
Jester

eee is there a war in Iraq? i thought it ended! and for me it is for oil! i don't know who the earth would really believe it was for peace!

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

It does not matter when they pull out or Iraq, all of the money and resources the US pumped into this war are lost. Do you really think that anything is coming to come of US forces being over there trying to bring about peace and a solid democracy? Of course not. Unless they feuds between the two religious forces can be totally stopped there is always going to be problems. And hell, Osama is not even in Iraq anymore. He is almost without a doubt in Pakistan. But is anyone over there with much force or intent to get him? No, because Pakistan is one of the US allies. Also, the majority of the northern part of Pakistan is control by clans which have no government forces...it is a no-mans land.

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

"I know Bush supports big business, but I seriously doubt we're in Iraq for oil. I haven't seen a drop of the black stuff supplied to us over here, and gas prices are steadily rising."

that's because we don't own oil companies...the oil companies are making money hand over fist since this war started. guess who's family is neck deep in the oil industry? that's right, the bush family.

sorry bloody_wolf, that,s the way it is.

"...during WWII our soldiers had the full support of the American population to back them up. However, starting in the 1960s with Vietnam and Korea, people stopped supporting our soldiers and protested the war instead, and we haven't completed a single war victoriously since then."

vietnam wasn't a "war"...it was a &quotolice action." we protested then because it was wrong to be in vietnam. we can't just allow our govt. to wage war whenever they want. protesting is our right as citizens. nothing more American than voicing your concerns and speaking your mind.
i support the troops...i send care packages every month with my son. and they are in our prayers. that doesn't mean i agree that they should be there.

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

It's good that you care for our troops like that, even if you don't support the war itself. Kudos for that. I still firmly believe, though, that we were right to be in Vietnam. It was not a &quotolice action," as you say; we were not there to flex our military muscle or try to boss the world around, we were bailing out a country who was in trouble. South Vietnam was under threat of invasion by North Vietnam, a communist country. We were devoted to preventing the spread of communism, seeing what it did to the countries that fell under its control, so it was simply our obligation to provide whatever assistance we could to South Vietnam. It would have been impossible to simply turn our backs on them and watch them get swept away. That would be heartless.
As for the oil issue, I still don't think we're gaining any benefit from the oil in Iraq. I don't even know how much Iraqui oil our army is using, and I don't think any of it made it back home. Besides, the only reason we would even need Iraqi oil is because overly strict environmental regulations won't let us harvest our own vast untapped supply of the stuff. And the oil companies are going a bit overboard with the prices...I think there's more supply than they'll let on. They just convince us there's a shortage so we'll pay more. Also, I don't know how much money Bush himself makes from the oil industry, but do you know how much money from the purchase of "carbon offsets" actually goes into Al Gore's pockets? Neither do I, I'm just saying. XD I've heard he keeps most of the money for himself and uses a fraction of it for planting trees and such.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Lets get out of there

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

we all wish, either way as I said earlier in this thread somewhere, if we pull out now, all of that stufff we've lost would be for nothing, we need to fix all the damage we've done

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

yeah, they have to strive towards there goal, whatever that is.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

of course we are-_-, that's the governments fault for being stingy and getting in everyone's buisness, and the war was started for a couple reasons, one; oil, i'm not sure about that one but I think it's true, two; the 'rumor' of WMD's, three; attack on the World Trade Center.

Radiation_Rocks
Radiation_Rocks
5 posts
Nomad

Join R cruseade to save the terrorists

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

Bloody_wolf, I don't like Al Gore either...
he's the rush limbaugh to bush's micheal moore. both extremes are just that...extremes. i love my country. i don't hate our govt., but i do suspect that they don't have OUR best interests in mind. who IS making money off of this war? not iraq... not the US citizens...must be the power elite. it's a win-win for the central bank, the oil companies, and the haliburtons of the world.(military-industrial complex)
i don't have the answers and i'm sure that those that do, don't want to change a thing.
i want to return to SMALL govt. fair taxes and the gold standard. but none of that helps the afore mentioned groups, so its not going to happen. we've been hijacked and were heading straight for a police state or worse. if you believe revelations then this is what you want...the way things are going, we'll have an anti-christ in the next decade.

Bloody_Wolf
Bloody_Wolf
103 posts
Peasant

I firmly agree with everything you just said, Wally. The elites are getting out of control. I would love more than anything to go back to small government, like city or communities with their own courts and things. It's all just too complicated now. The bureaucracy is tied up in knots because it's so big it keeps tripping over itself.

Showing 16-30 of 83