ForumsArt, Music, and WritingWhodunit?

135 19814
Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Ok well I'm pretty sure a lot of us has read a mystery story at some point, whether it be because you enjoy such stories, were so bored out of your mind you would do anything, or because it was an English assignment. Either way, that's what this thread is about. Somewhat.
Here's the deal of the Whodunit thread, which is slightly a contest. I will write a mystery story. Within said story will be several subtle clues as to whom the perpetrator is, however never will the story state clearly the perpetrator, how they committed their crime, the motive, or anything likewise. That...will be your job.
You, the reader, will attempt to solve the crime. The first person to correctly guess the perpetrator, how they did it, their motive for doing it, when and where the crime took place, and solid evidence that your theory is correct, will win. Winner's prize will be to give me a plot line, characters, etc. for the next mystery, if they wish. That of course, is optional. If no one has guessed the right answer in five days, then I will pronounce the mystery as unsolved, and you will have to pace trying to figure it out. You can still guess what happened in a previous unsolved mystery and I will tell you if correct or incorrect, but you will gain nothing from it.
Understood?
Terrific. I will release the first story shortly.

• 135 Replies
PrivatePapi
PrivatePapi
1,107 posts
Nomad

How about you let us guess as many times as we want when the deadline is over? Pwease?

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

When the deadline is over? Sure.
But by then the case will already be marked as "unsolved". If you solve it after the deadline, then you will just have the comfort of knowing what happened. I won't tell you if no one guesses it.
I might try to get a merit for this. After all, it seems to me it is extremely difficult.

PrivatePapi
PrivatePapi
1,107 posts
Nomad

Yea, what a great idea, you'll just have this dark dark feeling inside of you that's trying to get out. And the merit idea is even better b/c actually getting the answer right is hard enough.

So I'll just keep trying until I get the answer right even if I won't win anything.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

First of all, I would like to say what a great story you made. The only bad part was how predictable it was that his best friend was going to be found dead after being narrowed down as the prime suspect. Everything else was great, and obviously it's not easy.

Second, and lastly until this is answered, there's a few pieces of information I saw people say that I don't know where it's coming from. The main one was who he had the affair with. Did I just skim over that in the story, or are there separate background pieces on everyone? I'd like to know first before guessing. Thanks. :-)

PrivatePapi
PrivatePapi
1,107 posts
Nomad

"That...that he and Mrs. Monroe were having an affair!" blurted out Hack. He immediately looked guilty.

It's right there in the story Sherlock. "He" refers to the victim.
dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Oh *facepalm* I thought it said the name of his wife, and I did think that was a weird way of saying they were having an affair, not including the other people. Sorry.

Let me look everything over so I didn't miss anything else *facepalm*

PrivatePapi
PrivatePapi
1,107 posts
Nomad

Lawl, that's why I read everything over twice just to make sure I didn't mix any facts up. It's okay, it happens. =]

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

1. Thanks dragonball.
2. Blink. Did you really just miss that? You know you only have 2 guesses, so be careful not to make stupid mistakes
3. Still haven't received an answer regarding the merit prize.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

I'm hoping that there's a merit prize, this is really difficult. You may have to have a mod review the story before deciding if it's merit-worthy each time since there is the possibility the stories could have inconsistent depth. I'm not saying you have bad writing skills, but you're only human, you may get lazy like I would. :-P

I'm currently organizing everything, and still trying to figure out a couple details. I have ideas put together in unorganized paragraph like sections.

By the way, do we need to know the murder weapon?

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

Do you need to know the murder weapon?
Not in this case.
You need to know perpetrator(duh), partner(if there was one), what happened(I'll let you slide on this), and motive. And there has to be some sort of evidence of this. A confession works too(and since this is the first one, if you catch the killer, I'll let them confess.)
I have submitted the idea to a mod. They might not be on for a while though. Tell me, can I submit it to more than one mod?
I'm not sure.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can submit it to more than one mod. But you can only get the merit from ones who said yes, but it'd have better chances if you tried a lot of them.

Also, yay don't have to get the murder weapon, since I was basically going to guess for that. I had an idea for, and somewhat of a story behind it. I'm almost ready to submit my thoughts(rofl thank you spell check, I put "thinkings" >_&lt I think. Just a little more reviewing, I only have 2 guesses.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Okay, here's my first attempt at this. I'm almost positive I won't get it, this is mainly to help me and others with future guesses by organizing things a little easier.

Oh, well I think i deserve another facepalm anyway. *facepalm*

(Placing Thoughts)

Now let's see. One thing I noticed after re-reading it was Hack got nervous and changed the times he said he got there. First he said 7:00, then he said 9:00. I don't know if this was just him being nervous or a subtle clue. I'll leave that to anyone reading to this to decide to help them. I've thrown it away and said goodbye to it since it has nothing to do with my thoughts.

Now, the person he was having an affair with, Mrs. Monroe, was blonde as stated at the wedding. There was a blonde hair at the murder scene. Now, since moab didn't say if it was long or short in the story, he's forcing us to guess the length, which is important. If it was short, we know it was from Hack who allegedly came to get his job back and found him dead. If it was long, we know Mrs. Monroe was there. I'm guessing she was indeed there and that she was involved in causing his death, even if not directly. Also, she said at the funeral "Forgive me for what I have done," basically the only non-aggressive statement said to him, also somewhat making her looking guilty to me. I was thinking after reading again that she may have been the perpetrator.

The only reference to someone being left handed is Charles putting his left hand on the deceased's head. Now, the slash mark was cut from the right, implying it was done left handedly, but who says it couldn't have been a right handed slash from behind? That's the big thing I was thinking when reading that. Or even if not from behind, it could have been right handed from in front, just swinging the other way than expected.

The anti hallucination powder found at the house, found in several places points to Charles being there. The way it was found in several places makes me thing he was stumbling around, freaking out being out of his medicine. He may not have been there that night, but if not, why wouldn't his maid have cleaned it? So I'm leaning more towards Charles being there the night of the murder.

(What Happened)

As Charles is his best friend, it would seem normal he would come over to Tim's house. Being out of anti hallucination medicine, he went into a little bit of a tizzy (lol, sorry that made me laugh) while entering the house. He left some of the powder on the rail outside trying to get his medicine. Inside were Tim and Mrs. Monroe, talking about the affair. They were having disagreement with the situation of the affair and one wanted it to end, presumably Tim, as I'll get to later on. Charles enters in his fit and wreaks a bit of havoc. This is why later on the maid is cleaning more than usual. He had left powder where Mrs. Monroe and Tim were fighting as he passed by. Tim's attempt to end the affair was the center of the fight. While Charles was passing by, Mrs. Monroe slashed his neck, either in front or behind depending on which hand she used. Charles passed by and ran out of the house. The stress of the situation caused Mrs. Monroe to shed a hair at the scene before leaving. Charles never reported the actions taken either due to the hallucinogenic fit or just fear. Later on, Mrs. Monroe would kill Charles as the only legible witness to save herself from being suspect. She would go and kill Charles, and lead to the end of the story as of yet.

Yeah, if I'm way off, don't be mad. :-P

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

By the way, boab, you only need to look at the last paragraph, the first ones were me musing. ;-)

PrivatePapi
PrivatePapi
1,107 posts
Nomad

Ok, now I'm just confused...Using the name Tim really confused me. Stick with the victim, or Timothy. And there are a lot of holes in this...

First of all, how did Charles get inside the house?
Next, how could Timothy and Mrs. Monroe be fighting inside the house if the maid or wife would prolly be inside?
Thirdly, why did Mrs. Monroe slash Charles? He wasn't injured or killed...until the end...
Finally, how can one presumably "lose hair" due to stress in a matter of seconds?

And lawl at "boab" =D

PrivatePapi
PrivatePapi
1,107 posts
Nomad

Finally, how can one presumably "lose hair" due to stress in a matter of seconds?

Wait, wrong wording there...I meant: How can one shed a hair due to stress in a matter of seconds?
Showing 46-60 of 135