Forums → Programming Forum → Flash game test - BIG PROJECT
I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)
I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.
The game can be found here:
I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.
The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio
If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.
- 173 Replies
Some more improvements:
1. Added detection for when coins go over spike pits and are unreachable. They move back onto the ground.
2. Fixed a couple ground glitch spots. Also created a spike pit in the first level.
3. Updated reset positions for the character so they are a little cleaner.
4. Finally fixed the infinite run/spin glitch after shooting the gun. It was fixed in my test version but I didn't even realize it wasn't fixed in the live version until I played through the game a couple times on my site.
5. Lengthened characters death animation for smoother gameplay.
6. Added Mochi high score system, it was a last resort, but I don't think that armorgames is going to bring back their high score system. Change your name in the pause screen, reset screen, or at the game ending screen.
Guys let me know how it's working! I am getting ready to start adding/changing a bunch of the animations.
Anyone get to the fourth level yet?
Please be more constructive. State what you think needs work.
good job and keep up the good work 8/10 =)
Working much better, and the 4th level was quite entertaining. There still seem to be some detection issues, primarily with the smaller blocks, as there are times when visually the character lands on the block, yet he falls through. Also the secret at the ending screen is a pain in the neck!! (cause I couldn't find it :P) Other than that, it's wonderful. A major improvement over your earlier versions.
Game is really good, it's super mario, but i don't care. This really should get to armor games site, because i really like it. You can try to get the music to start at the same time as the game, some block falling thru problems, and some polishing and bug fixing. can't wait to see it on armor, if you are going to put it here
I completed 4-5 levels, and have some new advices:
Those box with coins should work a little difrent, when you hit it you instantly get coins, not to jump again ( above the box ) to get them.
As for cannon that blasts the cage in LVL 2, if there is instructions, i'm sorry for not seeing them, but if there isn't one, players can have a problem with controling the cannon ( BTW your hint is good, but it doesn't say how ). Third level is total success i love it ! How ever, you could make a smooth line of background, because of the jumping from screen to screen, that can be confusing and easy to make mistakes. Finaly, i really don't like the looks of those green enemies in alien level.
I didn't mean to say it's bad or anything, i really like it, this is just friendly advice
Thanks! I am still trying to improve the collision detection but I may be reaching the limits of the engine I started with. For the credit screen secret you need to gain 1500 points on the credit screen. The score is kept in the bottom right hand corner of the level.
Thanks for the support! The coins come down onto the activated block when it is touched. I did not want to make it instant in my game. For the cannon blast in level two, I did not want to give too much information about how to get out of the jail because I wanted it to be somewhat of a challenge. If you know what to do it can be done in less than five seconds once it's figured out.
Plasmafish your game is great i love it said to it to all my friends
I loved the game.reminds me of classic mario. 9/10
what program did you use?
It's a good game, but I still can't help thinking it would be better if you got rid of the mario theme and did your own, origianal graphics...
Maybe you don't wan't to, its just my opinion, but I think its good.
Popsnapper, thanks for the support, tell them to submit their high scores!
Mike, thanks! I used Flash and Photoshop.
P051D3N, I agree but I do not have the time right now to complete that task. I have been working sporadically on the game so hopefully I can accomplish that. The main thing I want to do is get rid of mario and create an original character in the near future.
^Good for you
I decided to scrap some of the instructions for a tutorial animation that explains it better than I could with a page full of text. I made a couple other notable improvements over the last version.
1. Removed all text from second page of instructions and replaced with a full tutorial animation. Removed break bricks as an objective of the game as it is not.
2. Decided to make it more relevant when the gun is picked up. Now the character will have the gun out while jumping, walking, running, and idling.
3. Populated inside of UFO and created exit scenario. The middle of the UFO will now pull the player into the warp halos on the ceiling to transport them outside of the UFO.
4. Added tip for beating 4th level if door is still unlocked after 100 seconds.
5. Lowered credit screen score requirement to 1000 points for unlocking developers mode at end of game.
6. Started adding credits to game ending screen and repositioned some objects.
I am still going to be changing out some of the graphics/animations for some more original stuff. I am open to suggestions for the graphics and programming so don't be afraid to give your input.
Well, the only suggestion I can give you is to make stuff as flat as possible, don't waste your time to make fancy 3d like effects, shadows, etc. Think about the best games here, fancy pants, exit path, armor mayhem. Only pure 2d stuff.
You must be logged in to post a reply!