Forums → Programming Forum → Flash game test - BIG PROJECT
I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)
I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.
The game can be found here:
I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.
The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio
If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.
- 175 Replies
Well, the only suggestion I can give you is to make stuff as flat as possible, don't waste your time to make fancy 3d like effects, shadows, etc. Think about the best games here, fancy pants, exit path, armor mayhem. Only pure 2d stuff.
Gab, thanks for the advice. I originally had this 3D idea in my head, but as soon as I started programming all of it, I quickly went back to the 2D style. The new characters and enemies I will be working on won't be too fancy either.
New version with a ton of improvements to the programming and game itself. The game now saves your high score, player name, difficulty setting, quality setting, mute setting, and blood setting. Mario has been completely replaced with a new character, my friend Laz. A new weapon has been added to the game also. Breakable bricks are fixed to where the character cannot break them unless they are jumping. I will list out the other improvements as there are so many.
1. Save state for high score, player name, difficulty, quality, mute, blood.
2. Mario character completely replaced with new custom character. My friend posed for the shots and I photoshopped him into the games frames.
3. New weapon added to the game, a shuriken.
4. Blood added to the enemies along with coins. Blood can be turned on at the start of the game or in the pause screen. Also added new eye ally/waypoint marker. The eyes cannot be killed, but will give coins if hit with the shuriken.
5. Five, yes I said FIVE secret areas which are reachable by going down the correct pipes in the levels. Stand on top of the pipe and press down to enter them. There are five in the first three levels.
6. Fixed multiple game breaking glitches regarding screen and character position.
7. Added help messages for the gun, secret chest, and shuriken. Also cleaned up in game prompts by adding a fade to them.
8. Fixed the running when falling bug, and the infinite run idle bug.
9. Improved credits screen, added more credits, fixed timer and score positions. Added enemy/ammo tally and in game ranking based on your score. The rankings go in this order:
Ninja in Training
10. Upped the extreme bonus (finishing without killing one enemy by dropping the TNT package onto the UFO on the last level) to 3500 points. It is hard to achieve but can be done, timing the drop of the TNT is a 20-25% chance if you don't know the pattern of the UFO.
11. Expanded and recoded devmode/god mode feature. Now features a moon jump, god mode with revealing enemy/boss positions, and an expanded debug console which shows the variables used in the game in real time (may be slow on some computers but if it is not used it is not running).
That pretty much covers most of the major updates I did on the game. Make sure to turn the blood on if you'd like, I have it turned off by default for general audiences. I don't think there are a ton of other bugs in the game besides the ground/wall glitches that are due to the hitTest function but I haven't smoothed those out since changing the character yet. I still plan on changing the goomba enemies and the koopa enemies but have left them unchanged so far and am open to ideas.
Check it out!
Well.... The Start of a really good game. The character needs to look a little better, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the game. The music can use a couple of final Tweaks, then it would be Awesome! The graphics are pretty good but i wouldn't copy Nintendo too much, make sure and give Nintendo credit for the Question mark boxes, goombas, turtles. The game has a really good concept. The gameplay is really bad. The way the guy jumps and acts isn't very comfortable to play with. Just needs a few tweaks here and there!
This game has a lot of potential.
Xeano, thanks! The disclaimer you have to click to start the game and the ending credits screen gives credit to Nintendo. Would you mind giving your input on the tweaks required to make the character more "comfortable"?
I re-uploaded fixing a couple problems I found while playing the new version.
1. Some of the new enemies I added made it near impossible to complete without killing an enemy. I re-positioned them to make it possible to go through all the levels without killing an enemy. There was also a glitch which you could kill all the bosses but none of the smaller enemies and you would still get the extreme bonus.
2. Fixed depth arrangement of large ? blocks, fixed a couple ground spots in the first and second level.
3. Repositioned a couple things on the credits screen.
4. Fixed score glitch with the level select.
That's pretty much what got fixed in todays version, let me know if everything checks out.
I changed most of the enemies and fixed a couple more problems that arose from the modifications that were done.
1. Changed the goomba and koopa enemies in the first three levels by adding three new enemies. Also changed the level 2 boss.
2. Added "game resuming in" help text for prompts when items are first picked up. The "Enter" button can also be used to skip them.
3. Added a DANGER message alerting the character where the unseen bosses are.
4. Changed blood colors for different enemies.
5. Fixed sound bug on credits screen.
Check it out, the original enemies that were in the game for over 2 years are now changed. I don't know if I will keep them the way they are now, but they are definitely better than what I had before.
I noticed that you can't go left + shoot + jump at the same time. strangely, this happens in Exit Path too o.o but probably its just that an else instead of an if or something.
also, in the game over screen the spacebar make you restart, but also if you're typing :P so you can't use a name with a space.
apart for that, the game have improved a lot in my opinion. the only thing i dont like very much is the character.
Gab, thanks for the input! I already fixed the spacebar glitch you mentioned in my test version since reading your post and am looking to fix the left+shoot+jump glitch. I am wondering if you are talking about when you have the gun or the shuriken for the left+shoot+jump glitch?
it's with the gun, I haven't found the shuriken yet ^^
for example, if I'm holding left and space, up don't work, if I'm holding up and space left don't work, and so on.
This game is cool I love being a ninja,Can't wait till it's done.
I noticed that the glitch happens only using the arrow keys, it's fine with wasd.
really bad ripoff of mario .
It is not a very bad ripoff of mario, but a good game. And if it was a ripoff of mario it would be a good one ~.~... nice game.
Gab thanks for the quick response! I couldn't reproduce the shooting glitch using the gun with WSAD or the arrow keys but I did find a shooting glitch like you mentioned with the shuriken that I will be fixing. I tried holding left(A and left arrow), space, and pressing jump and I didn't stop shooting the whole time while I tried. I also tried holding A, Left Arrow, Space, and pressing jump and that also worked. I will try some more to see if I can reproduce what's happening with the gun on your end.
Kingjac, thanks for the support! It will be finished soon so stay tuned!
Domecraft, the point of this project was not to create awesome graphics, it was a programming project and I am amazed that it's come this far.
Sasquatch, thanks! I hope you have fun playing it, IMO my favorite levels are the third and fourth levels. The fourth level strays away from the mario theme completely.
kk, plasma this still proly needs work, but i like it, i think it would be cooler ifyou threw in more games, this is mario, but maybe make sonic an enemy or throw in kirby:P, but i like it, the graphics are ehh, but awesome! i hope it keeps updating and i hope that you have a great time making it!
You must be logged in to post a reply!