ForumsWEPRWhy Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

140 29546
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

• 140 Replies
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

America was formed by Christians, but freedom of religion fits in there some were, along with separation of church and state.

But they made Christmas. That has nothing to do with the state.
CrimsonVamp
CrimsonVamp
93 posts
Peasant

Atheist and half-believers celebrate christmas because that's the way they're grown, and getting free presents encourages them to keep that hypocrisy going.

And I've totally nothing wrong with christians celebrating it properly with religious spirit.

Needless to say that this comes from a convinced atheist who doesn't celebrate it. I believe the christmas spirit shouldn't be restricted to one day just because "it has to be done", but because it's much better to live that way.

Peace.

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

But they made Christmas. That has nothing to do with the state.

How does 'its a federal holiday' not have anything to do with the state?
Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

1. It is not purely about the birth of Christ. It is about a lot more things, and the focus on the birth of Christ depends entirely on the family doing the celebrating.
2. IT IS A NATIONAL HOLIDAY. Therefore, we all celebrate it. CHRISTIANS DO NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO CHRISTMAS.
3. We all have celebrated it since we were young, and it's losing its Christian tones from my point of view.
4. As far as I can tell, we don't change Christmas. If someone else's family doesn't want religion in their celebration of the holiday, then it's not of your business, is it? No. It doesn't affect you, so why do you care?
Why does every religious person and every atheist feel the need to argue? I mean...come on people, all you're doing is making each other mad.

Moabarmorgamer
Moabarmorgamer
8,570 posts
Nomad

National?
Sometimes I'm really stupid.
I meant federal.
>.<
My hands are faster than my brain. Which doesn't really say much, though.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I celebrate it because that's just how my family has always done things, just like every other popular holiday that really doesn't have anything to do with me, but that's just how it is.

Christmas is sort of a meld of things, like Halloween, I believe, where there were many other celebrations around this time, and the modern world just melded them all together, stamping 'Christmas' on top, because, as people have said, Christianity was the dominant religion at the time. So technically, just because it has 'Christ' in it, doesn't mean that everyone has to solely celebrate it for the religion. And since most people, school or parents, teach their children to believe in God at early age [freedom to choose included, of course], Christmas is celebrated by most people.
...unless you come across Mr. Hardcore Atheist...then you'd probably find someone who doesn't celebrate the holiday because of Christianity =O.

Holiday/Christmas Tree >> Pagan Religion?

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I'm mad about this because a million different things can happen to disrespect or trash on Christians, yet nothing comes of it. However, if anything bad is done considering someone of a different religion, jt becomes this huge issue.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

How does 'its a federal holiday' not have anything to do with the state?

Federal Holiday?
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,308 posts
Nomad

Im a Christian and I think I understand why Atheists celebrate Christmas. They believe in the spirit of joy(?) and giving. They like to give happiness too.

Although I celebrate Christmas because of Christ, many people celebrate it for a time of joy. And I'm not going to fuss about it, if they don't want to celebrate Christ in Christmas then I will try to tell them, but if they don't listen, I can't help and I won't rampage around the place.
They do have freedom to celebrate.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I'm mad about this because a million different things can happen to disrespect or trash on Christians, yet nothing comes of it.

Disrespect? Christmas is technically in the classification as a 'Holiday', so using your earlier thing about the tree, calling it a 'Holiday' tree isn't extremely off the mark O_O.
And, I believe Christmas trees are from the Pagans, who, of course, celebrated something in December that people just mashed in with the rest of the celebrations. So if we're going into who owns what, the Pagans or whoever really started it, should be able to decide what they want to call the Christmas Tree.
They believe in the spirit of joy(?) and giving. They like to give happiness too.

Indeed, I may be an agnostic/atheist b******, but I celebrate with my family and enjoy making everyone happy with presents and just being there. Yay happiness =D.
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Im a Christian and I think I understand why Atheists celebrate Christmas. They believe in the spirit of joy(?) and giving. They like to give happiness too.

HOW DARE THEY!!! You have to be a Christian to love giving presents!

/sarcasm

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

First off Christmas wasn't officially recognized by the church until the 19th century. Until then it was almost (on an official basis) regarded as blasphemy to celebrate.

Second the addition of Christ's birthday was something just tacked onto an already existing holiday celebrating the season and a pagan god.

Third I will just repost what I said in the Tavern.

Christmas can be enjoyed just as well as a holiday of the season with no religious implications as it can with those religious parts added in.
XxStormxX
XxStormxX
66 posts
Nomad

Times are changing, things are happening, and christmas is getting less religious every year. My gran is a christian, but the rest of my family (including myself) are aetheists, to be honest, I don't think of the religious stem of the holiday, I just think of the presents, and the giving of them to my family & friends. I just don't think about the religious aspect, you know.

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Why I celebrate Christmas: A story by atheist Deserteagle.

1. I like getting money/presents

2. Christmas parties are always fun

3. 80% of the people in my area celebrate Christmas

4. I like the Christmas food..

monkeysateme
monkeysateme
98 posts
Nomad

How else are they supposed to get presents? The true reason of Christmas is to celebrate Jesus's Birth. You should only celebrate Christmas if you know why you are celebrating it.

Showing 16-30 of 140