ForumsWEPRWhy Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

140 29547
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

• 140 Replies
Thyll
Thyll
476 posts
Nomad

Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas.

Holiday was originally Holy Day. Christmas is, by Christian definition, a "Holy Day". Therefor Christmas Tree = Holiday Tree/ Holiday Tree = Christmas Tree.
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

When, did it EVER, turn into some goof off holiday where people who aren't even Christian, give each other presents.

around the 80's I think. =p

I gave a Christmas gift to my atheist friend and he accepted it.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Giftmas? Now THAT pisses me off.

Do you understand the idea of happiness and joking to entertain others?
Just the thought of heavenly drink on my tongue makes me want to believe there is a god.

Am I missing out on something incredible by not drinking Egg Nog or is it just me?
When, did it EVER, turn into some goof off holiday where people who aren't even Christian, give each other presents.

It's because of the other holidays, and the roots of where Christianity's followers took over other religions and cultures, but could not completely wipe off the remains of their culture.
Those darn Romans... >_>
deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

^ Greed is a more powerful than faith and goodwill

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Martin Luther King Day
St. Patrick's Day
Casimir Pulaski Day (Polish holiday in Chicago)
I'm not black, Irish, or Polish, but I sure like those days off of school. I'm a teacher and I LOVE celebrating those days. They have nothing to do with me, but I'll be the first in line to celebrate.

But you haven't changed anything about them now have you?

I just hate it how some christians think becuase they believe in god they are "holy and righteous" and can say whatever they want. Its like all of those Chatholic priests that abused loads of kids (it was in the news) i mean how the hell does that work.

i hate how some atheists think because they don't believe in religon means they can say whatever they want. Its like changing the name christmas tree into holiday tree. i mean how the hell does that work?
DefinitelyCrazy
DefinitelyCrazy
344 posts
Nomad

Its like changing the name christmas tree into holiday tree. i mean how the hell does that work?

I just said how.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Hey, atheists can have faith in the fact that they are faithfully atheists and will not diverge any religious path, or would that mean atheism itself is a religion?
I confuzzled myself :S

But you haven't changed anything about them now have you?

Have atheists taken control and forced you to celebrate it a certain way? Just asking...
Its like changing the name christmas tree into holiday tree. i mean how the hell does that work?

Christmas is a holiday, for one, so you can stem it from there if it makes your life less stressful

LEAVE THE PAGANS AND THEIR DARN TREES ALONE ALREADY!!! XD.
cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

LEAVE THE PAGANS AND THEIR DARN TREES ALONE ALREADY!!! XD.

lol
SilentQ
SilentQ
601 posts
Nomad

Hey, atheists can have faith in the fact that they are faithfully atheists and will not diverge any religious path

Or they have faith in humanity as a whole, that they won't do anything stupid like committ mass murder by hurling themselves into the Sun!

And seriously guys, just let people spend their holiday however they want. Not that hard to do. >.>
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Epic mocking, or... are you actually suggesting this cr4p?

hehehe.. :P

Egg Nog is the most delicious drink ever conceived by the minds of men. Just the thought of heavenly drink on my tongue makes me want to believe there is a god. Whenever I see they stop selling my favourite brands, I lose sight of the joy it once gave me.

Truly if there was a god egg nog would be his nectar.

Hey, atheists can have faith in the fact that they are faithfully atheists and will not diverge any religious path, or would that mean atheism itself is a religion?
I confuzzled myself :S

Some atheists may just be that way. However most just want something substantial backing up the claims of a god before they believe.

And seriously guys, just let people spend their holiday however they want. Not that hard to do. >.>

Agreed.
Toadlord
Toadlord
497 posts
Shepherd

Am I missing out on something incredible by not drinking Egg Nog or is it just me?

Pardon me for messing up the one thing everyone in this thread has agreed on but I find the stuff pretty nasty to be honest.

It's too sharp of a taste for me.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

Gawd, I hate the stuff too!

SilentQ
SilentQ
601 posts
Nomad

Agreement is me. Egg nog is the pinnacle of disgustingness.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas.

Everyone has the right to celebrate any day of the year they want. I could celebrate January 17th or June 25th or July 15th.
And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything?

Then they aren't celebrating Christmas. They're celebrating the first time it was December 25th.
Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that?

If that was the law, it would be stupid. But it's not. Atheists can call it a holiday tree, you can call it a Christmas tree, I can call it whatever the hell I want. As long as I'm not forced to call it something, it doesn't matter to me.

It's really not a big deal if atheists want to celebrate Christmas. As long as they don't force Christians not to change the meaning, which nobody has in a country with freedom of religion, then it's perfectly fine with me and doesn't affect me at all.
I just hate it how some christians think becuase they believe in god they are "holy and righteous" and can say whatever they want.

I don't understand what you mean. Anybody can say whatever they want. Do you mean they can preach whatever they want? Because if that's the case, they're only going to preach what they believe to be the word of God. Christians aren't going to believe in God if they think that doing so is unholy and not righteous. Some Christians may portray that more openly that others, but the point of religion is to pray to your God and live a moral life in the hopes that you will be rewarded after death. There's really nothing insulting about it.
Its like all of those Chatholic priests that abused loads of kids (it was in the news) i mean how the hell does that work.

You don't actually think they had the Catholic Church's approval, do you? What don't you understand? Catholics, Christians, Atheists, Buddhists, Muslims, etc are all people. There are non-Catholics who have abused loads of kids too.
Here's how it works. A celibate priest gets an urge, falls to temptation (or "the dark side" or whatever you want to call it, since religion seems to really piss you off), and abuses children and gets caught. It's horrible, it's immoral, but that's no reason to diss other Christians. How the hell does that work?
ComradeGamer
ComradeGamer
383 posts
Nomad

I may be a believer, but I hate how Christmas has to be a Holiday about Religion. Christmas is about being with your family, not celebrating Jesus's Birthday. Everybody from different Religions should celebrate it if they want.

Showing 46-60 of 140