ForumsWEPRWhy Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

140 29539
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

• 140 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT

It's called freedom. Learn to love it.

Look at the holidays you might celebrate that have nothing to do with you:

Martin Luther King Day
St. Patrick's Day
Casimir Pulaski Day (Polish holiday in Chicago)

I'm not black, Irish, or Polish, but I sure like those days off of school. I'm a teacher and I LOVE celebrating those days. They have nothing to do with me, but I'll be the first in line to celebrate.

SilentQ
SilentQ
601 posts
Nomad

'Cause they can. By cutting out Christmas from things, they basically create a new holiday. Meaning that they don't support/believe in Christianity. I'm not against Atheists celebrating Christmas, but they should at least know why it's really celebrated, and most do, so I'm fine with it. If they want to change the holiday name to suit them, fine with me, there's nothing wrong with it. If they choose not to endorse Christianity, that's their problem. To them, Christmas is about the gift giving and spending time with family and friends.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Yes, like thelistman. You Americans have plenty of other holidays "that you shouldn't have the right to celebrate"....

I'm sort-of an atheist, and I celebrate it for the presents.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Christmas is a cultural tradition. It's less about being Christan and more about being from where ever your from that celebrates Christmas. As for changing names, it's not like they're fooling anyone: It's a Christmas tree/break/present/whatever. If someone wants to say holiday instead of Christmas, who cares? Let them. No skin off your nose. The converse is also true.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

It's not about whether or not they're fooling people by changing the name it's just plain disrespectful, and that makes me muy mamado. (Spanish for very pissed)

rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

Christmas is a federal holiday, not a purely religious one.

assassin89
assassin89
1,303 posts
Nomad

All religions can celebrate Christmas if they want to. Anway being and Atheist isnt a religion it a cultural choice. I was chrisend but i dont believe in god dont judge people by the choices they make in life.

Yes, like thelistman. You Americans have plenty of other holidays "that you shouldn't have the right to celebrate"....

Thats true St georges and patricks day also you have thanksgiving and i dont.
German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

it's not about the birth of christ at all, whatsoever. which is why I half the time say xmas. I'm still working on finding out who originally used this date as a celebration (i think there was a group before the egyptians, but i there may not have been).

It's about two big things (not necc. in this order):
1) Tradition
2) The spirit of giving/spirit of christmas (basically tradition once more)

but it's really lame not to give presents for xmas.

disrespectful

I don't see how, at all.
It was disrespectful for christians to steal this date from other cultures. It was most certainly not the first religion to use it as an important date.
If you find it disrespectful for me to be nice around the time that the sun stops lowering in the sky, stays there for three days, then starts rising again on the 25th, then I find it disrespectful for you to claim that this is your holiday.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

And why is it a federal holiday? Because America was formed by Christians, and, at that time, most everyone in America believed in Christ.

assassin89
assassin89
1,303 posts
Nomad

I just hate it how some christians think becuase they believe in god they are "holy and righteous" and can say whatever they want. Its like all of those Chatholic priests that abused loads of kids (it was in the news) i mean how the hell does that work.

thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

It's not our fault the birth of Christ was the most important thing to ever happen on Dec. 25. And yes Christ is the reason it's celebrated so much. It's called CHRISTmas.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

1. We can celibrate anything... I personaly only celibrate Cristmas due to the fact my family selebrates Cristmas thus I have to...
2. The Cristmas tree was taken from somthing else, so we can take it if we want...

RenegadePlayer
RenegadePlayer
684 posts
Nomad

lol, at schools, we cant call it christmas break, we have to call it winter break. and btw, this isnt cause of aithiests, its other religions out there that make it offensive to say its 'christmas break'. thats like saying its a break for christians and ur just ganna do it too

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

It's not our fault the birth of Christ was the most important thing to ever happen on Dec. 25.

Wow, that's so terribly debatable as to whether or not it even happened then.

It's already been proven that Christ was born years before 0 B.C.E./0 C.E. and we're supposed to believe he was born on December 25th?
And not believe that that date was used because it's known to be an important date in many old cultures before Christianity? That's terribly short-sighted.
And why is it a federal holiday? Because America was formed by Christians, and, at that time, most everyone in America believed in Christ.

What's your point? It won't be abolished in sense of religion because nearly everyone celebrates it, and most of them don't even celebrate Christianity other than Christmas.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

America was formed by Christians, but freedom of religion fits in there some were, along with separation of church and state.

It's not our fault the birth of Christ was the most important thing to ever happen on Dec. 25. And yes Christ is the reason it's celebrated so much. It's called CHRISTmas.

Jesus was not born on the 25th and he was not born in year 0.
Showing 1-15 of 140