ForumsWEPRWhy Do Atheists Celebrate Christmas?

140 29549
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I would like to know why atheists feel that they have the right to celebrate Christmas. And even worse, WHAT THE HECK GIVES ATHEISTS THE RIGHT to insist on cutting out the word Christmas from everything? Example: they changed it from CHRISTMAS tree to HOLIDAY tree.
Now how stupid is that? The trees are meant FOR CHRISTMAS! That's what the 'holiday' in holiday tree stands for, CHRISTmas. So, fire on me all you want, I just want some answers.

• 140 Replies
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

I may be a believer, but I hate how Christmas has to be a Holiday about Religion. Christmas is about being with your family, not celebrating Jesus's Birthday. Everybody from different Religions should celebrate it if they want.

There's the problem. You can say what you want, how YOU think Christmas should be celebrated, but Jesus is the longest lasting reason for the season.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,522 posts
Farmer

And not that's not an important part, but what right do you have to deem Christmas a certain purpose?

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

I may be a believer, but I hate how Christmas has to be a Holiday about Religion. Christmas is about being with your family, not celebrating Jesus's Birthday

Ima put it this way:

If Jesus had not been born, Christmas would not exist.
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

Atheists just like to try and fit in

deserteagle
deserteagle
1,633 posts
Nomad

Are you implying that we aren't cool and don't have any friends? If so.. I believe you are wrong.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

But Hanukkah would.

As for the original question, the answer is because they can.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

I think that Owen has the best point here.

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

Christmas by the name of Christmas would not exist.

There would be a holiday/important religious day on the 25th if many earlier religions still existed today, it just wouldn't be called Christmas.

and most of us call it xmas anyways, so therefore it doesn't count.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with that.
It has absolutely everything to do with tradition and the tradition of christmas spirit/giving/Santa Claus.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

By saying 'most of us' call it xmas, I hope you're refering to the 10% of the population that is atheist, cuz everyone I know says Christmas, even my atheist friends.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

This is like: you can like the idea without standing for the original purpose.

I hate how Christmas has to be a Holiday about Religion. Christmas is about being with your family, not celebrating Jesus's Birthday.

I hate how Pencils are used for writing. Pencils are about having a shanking tool, not for writing.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I hate how Pencils are used for writing. Pencils are about having a shanking tool, not for writing.

I know, don't people realize that using them for writing is squandering and and complete disregard for their true potential? It's blasphemy I say!
There would be a holiday/important religious day on the 25th if many earlier religions still existed today, it just wouldn't be called Christmas.

This. As some people [and I] have said, there are many religions Christianity has just taken over and forced out other cultures. Don't make me bring up those damn trees again, which was NOT started by Christians. The whole present giving thing was started by, I believe, the Romans [It's those Romans again!], so we'd probably still have trees, gifts, and Santa Claus if I'm not mistaken, but I have no idea where the round man originated at the moment...I heard he's actually Russian O_O.
Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

Santa Claus if I'm not mistaken, but I have no idea where the round man originated at the moment

I think Coke created him?
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

Coke created the fat and jolly version of him, before that he was skinny.

German3945
German3945
996 posts
Nomad

This. As some people [and I] have said, there are many religions Christianity has just taken over and forced out other cultures. Don't make me bring up those **** trees again, which was NOT started by Christians. The whole present giving thing was started by, I believe, the Romans [It's those Romans again!], so we'd probably still have trees, gifts, and Santa Claus if I'm not mistaken, but I have no idea where the round man originated at the moment...I heard he's actually Russian O_O.

I'm not even talking about the trees, that's a completely different thing that goes along with how Santa Claus has nothing to do with Christ.

I'm talking about how on the 21st, the sun stops goes down in degree in the sky for the last day. On the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th, it stays in the same place. and then on the 25th, it begins to raise in degree again. I'm talking about how many cultures coveted this idea before Christians and used it with religious importance.
The 25th is not about Christ's birth, it's about a sort of rebirth of the sun, and it's about the return of summer and crops.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I'm not even talking about the trees, that's a completely different thing that goes along with how Santa Claus has nothing to do with Christ.

I know, I'm saying that if Jesus wasn't born, we'd still have a number of things, probably, that we use today in 'Christmas'. And no, Santa Claus would probably exist still too, he has very little to do with Christ or any of that. I was supporting your statement or adding to it, whatever you want to say, not arguing XD.
Showing 61-75 of 140