ForumsWEPRDisproving god

352 61300
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

So I just have a question to every one. What is the point in proving god to not exist? What makes it worth while to sit and flip out on people, the goverment, schools, kids, parents.....that they are wrong, and science is wrong?

I understand having an oppinion, and trying to get others to beilve that. But Have any of you heard of Pascals wager?

What he said was basically, if you belive in god, and he is real, you lived a good live, and if you belive in god, and he's not real, you lost nothing, but lived a life of good morals, which I will touch on in a second. However, If he is real, and you didn't beilve you go to hell. And if you didn't beilve and he isn't real, then you lost nothing, other then being remembered as a person who didn't care about morals.

I would like you to go read the ten commandments, and the other moral wrongs in the bible. How are ANY of them bad?

All I'm really trying to gather here, is what is the point in tryign to prove god as fake? Why does it matter if you beilve in god? And what do you lose by beilveing in him?

• 352 Replies
RugRat
RugRat
340 posts
Nomad

You shouldn't care if someone tries to disprove your god, jus sayin.

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Well, first of all not believing in god doesn't mean you are a people with bad morals.

And, I have no idea. I have personally never understood why people like to prove other people wrong. Sadly, some atheist people are actually enraged towards god so they try to uncover the "true".

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

You shouldn't care if someone tries to disprove your god, jus sayin.

Did I say ANYWHERE in there " I care about people trying to dissprove my god"

I just asked, whats the point in doing so?
kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

I agree, What is the point in proving god isn't real, what do you gain from it? and if you don't believe in got thats ok, just keep it to yourself.

samy
samy
4,874 posts
Nomad

Generally there isn't one but hey it takes away all their arguments about telling them why he does as everyone understands double standards.

RugRat
RugRat
340 posts
Nomad

Oh yes you do, then why would you bother to ask that question. It's because people have free wills, there, now end this thread.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I would like you to go read the ten commandments, and the other moral wrongs in the bible. How are ANY of them bad?

(in various parts of the bible)

Well just the other day I beat a slave with a staff. He didn't die though, just greatly wounded so I didn't get in trouble. I hope he's okay though. Oh, and half an hour later I killed a homosexual because God told me to. Then, I spread the word of God in various ways to as many people as I could, because He told me to.

(/in various parts of the bible)

Maybe I just have a peeve against the bible itself. Of course many sources believe God told his disciples to write such things in the Bible, so I could be wrong.

I understand having an oppinion, and trying to get others to beilve that. But Have any of you heard of Pascals wager?

Most theists have reasoned that Pascal's Wager makes sense. The problem is, it is a fool's bet. If God is really omnipotent, then surely he knows that your beliefs are not sincere, that you're just playing the odds. Beyond that, Pascal's Wager does not address the more substantive question of which God you should believe in. Do you believe in Christ, or Xenu, Mithra, Saturn, Buddha, or Allah? What if God's real test was to see who would defy convention and refuse to believe and those were the ones who get to heaven? The permutations in this equation are endless, which proves that Pascal's Wager is a total waste of time. Like all the other arguments, theists will disagree, but only because they've manufactured their own set of rules that convinces them that their reasoning makes more sense. It doesn't though.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Many may argue the point of disproving god to be a waste of time. However, it is not so much god as the belief system we try to disprove. You see organized religion and the belief in god (in my opinion) is for the delluded and weak willed. Those who cannot think for themselves. By disproving god and the entire belief system then one would do the world a service and force people to think for themselves and not be mindless, faith serving, deluded sheep.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

You see organized religion and the belief in god (in my opinion) is for the delluded and weak willed. Those who cannot think for themselves.

Unless you are thinking your own hypotheses, we all think for ourselves. We both just have "beliefs for Creationists" and "theories for scientists". Now, I said scientists, because there are in fact Creationist scientists out there. Not very many; we are talking 2 out of every 100,000 here. Just saying, we can be scientists and not believe in Evolution. It's just the main law as to how organisms develop, which date back to how life started: living things from non-living things.

By disproving god and the entire belief system then one would do the world a service and force people to think for themselves and not be mindless, faith serving, deluded sheep.

There's a fine line between letting people have their own choices in life and forcing them to not make their own choices. If they want to worhip God, Allah, Xeno, the spaghetti monster, or Enchilladotuilluptah, it should be their choice. Taking their religious congregation out is like them bible thumping us. Not right.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Neither is war, racism or any other injustice in the world. However, we can point the blame at the christians and other religions for those things. In history almost every single problem with out world has stemmed from "My god is better than yours"

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Ah yes, the "religious wars". Pretty much it's because it's Israel, the center point of the three main religions at the time. Let me clarify...with a song...

I've had a vision its clear to me now
I know what has to be done
Different religions cannot share a land
A plague and I have the cure

Inspired by deeds that were done long ago
I know what has to be done
Filth of my land must be washed clean and pure
Now let the cleansing begin

Genocide?
Who will drag me to court?
There's no crime if you do not get caught
I am the law. We burn

Don't really have a strong argument for that. After all, different religions with different beliefs are strong catalysts for fighting. Even now, we fight under this pretense. How do you think we got our borders, or other countries for that matter? Religion.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,685 posts
Nomad

this is what bugs me... when people take the bible so literally that they make it a bad thing when most of the bible tells you how to live (in a good way). its people like you frank that start holocausts because you dont like another religeons book. its called respect. if an athiest is athiest then i respect there thought i dont argue with them..... if someone is muslim then i talk to them about there religeon so i can have a further understanding. i dont degrade there book and thoughts on life.

its like takeing someones weding cake and dress and ripping it off them because YOU dont like it

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

er...I've been under the impression that Frank is either an atheist or a non psychotic christian.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

its people like you frank that start holocausts because you dont like another religeons book.

er...I've been under the impression that Frank is either an atheist or a non psychotic christian.

People should remember from past discussion or now, that I'm not religious in any way. That song reflected what happened when the 3 main religions fought, why they fought, and the manner in which they fought. It did not reflect me.

There are only two things, people who acknowledge there might be a God (Agnostics) and people who choose to believe (Theists)

We can still argue and consider both methods and still be called Atheist. The fine line between Atheist and Agnostic is that Atheists deny the existence of a god right out, until there is irrefutable proof of one. Agnostic takes many different forms, all reaching the summary of: they do not currently believe in the existence of a god, but do not deny the possibility of one.

Now then, there are three main, core ways of denying the existence of God or any other deity:

1. Origin of life, explained in scientific explanation

2. Origin of universe, explained in scientific explanation

3. Origin of what created the universe, explained in scientific explanation

-- Theories and Hypotheses do not count, as they are not proven to be 100% true. Laws count. If you can do these clearly, succinctly, and irrefutably, then you have just disproven the existence of a deity.

-- Using Creationist methods will void your answer.

To PROVE the existence of God, I'll give you two:

1. Reason why animals will choose mates of specific types in order to survive and reproduce under different types of environmental stimuli, using Creationist explanation.

2. Reason why bacteria and other small organisms are becoming more and more resistant to biological chemicals that would otherwise eliminate them, using Creationist explanation.

-- Provide logical reasons why such things would occur under God's hand; you cannot say "He did it because He can", or "He did it so it would be this way", so on and so forth.

-- Using scientific methods will void your answer.

If you can do this with the same manner above, you have just proven the existence of God or other deities.

Since this will turn into another atheist/creationist thread, we gotta make it more diverse. Let's try this for now, see what happens.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What is the point in proving god to not exist?

For the same reason we go out to prove or disprove anything, it's a matter of finding the truth. The religious midnset often ignores this in favor of a preconceived notion.

What he said was basically, if you belive in god, and he is real, you lived a good live, and if you belive in god, and he's not real, you lost nothing, but lived a life of good morals, which I will touch on in a second. However, If he is real, and you didn't beilve you go to hell. And if you didn't beilve and he isn't real, then you lost nothing, other then being remembered as a person who didn't care about morals.

This is a false dichotomy. If there was just one religion then yes this would be true. However there are around 10,000 practicing religions each with possibly thousands of denominations. So even if you got the right religion you might be following it wrong. There is also the possibility non of the religions are right and it's some other concept of god that wasn't even thought of. In this case we're all possibly %&^*ed.

I would like you to go read the ten commandments, and the other moral wrongs in the bible.

"Thou Shalt Not Have Any Gods Before Me"
So demanding mindless obedience is moral?

Why does it matter if you beilve in god?

Once again here's Laci (cleavage for the win, again) to explain more on why an atheist would care about religion.

Why Atheists Care About YOUR Religion

And what do you lose by beilveing in him?

To just believe without proof I lose my ability to accurately gauge reality. Just to name one reason.
Showing 1-15 of 352