ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Necro] Nothing on Book Writing?! :o

153 57483
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I noticed things on poetry and art. BUT NOT BOOKS?!?!?!?! What is society coming to?! Well then. If there are any short stories or anything you wanna put on here, POST IT. If there is an actual BOOK like a few hundred pages, go to inkpop.com and post it there. Here you can also pop a few book ideas around and share it with whoever actually decides to read and it and or comment. Alright! Ta-Ta For Now! - Mitsuki/ MoonFairy

• 153 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Completely original. My shorter ones are left unfinished at around 10k word-wise(about a fifth of the way through, give or take).

On two of them, I got fairly far, and one of them I'm still getting probably 10 words on a day, lol. So by Strop's rule, I have 2 that count, but neither are finished.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I like to keep a log of the projects I've come up with over the various years... I mention a few that are in progress now, but there's a rather large stack of discarded, undeveloped ideas...

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I usually develop my good ideas and then let them rot/ferment for a while, while working on new good ideas. I keep all the documents on my desktop, so if I ever figure out how to finish one, it's only like a click away. My desktop is too cluttered already . . . .

jdawg888
jdawg888
52 posts
Nomad

I'm planning on being a writer! I will try to post it once it is edited out.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I've started trying to begin a story, it's... problematic, considering how full my schedule is... Gah!

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Once you get going, you'll only be limited to how fast you can type. It gets easier, trust me.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Oh I know it gets easier, I just don't have the time to sit down and start it. :|

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

i can never sit down and write it either... I can't find a way to start it... like my failed story thread somewhere floating around in the arts forum... and @ dark, yeah you can post your short story on here! even though we talk about novels on here, you can post it and we could critique it, yeah that would be cool.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Some people have an insane talent to write a story just like that.

But for the most part, it's all to do with really honing your crafting skill. First you need to develop the ability to see both the big picture and the details at the same time. Then you need to know how to put lots of things together. That's the simple version.

I started writing bigger stories (or trying to) when I was like... about half the age I am now. I don't think I got the hang of convincingly structuring large projects until last year. That's one personal motivation for starting the WoM: to test whether I really was good enough at running a major story project. I'm in the process of doing a blow-by-blow account of my graphic novel project and discovering just how much detail there is to consider, but am now confident I can get it done. It'll be another 5 or so hours of work before the scene list is complete.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,815 posts
Peasant

Unfortunately, I'm not good enough in english to post here, which is a shame since I recently finished a little essay in french as part of a contest submission. I tried to write a book many times before but I don't think I was mature enough at these times... Since the completion of my recent essay though I get the feel I could come up with more structured work. You know, there're these people who just have knack at writing like Strop said...But what I think is that there're people out there who have amazing writing skills but lack imagination or intellectual motivation. Some start with their conclusion, others with a very vague idea but I think that as authors, we should all be conscious that about 90% of what we write is trash...

That's what I think but yeah, there're those people who can make a story out of just about anything...

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Some start with their conclusion, others with a very vague idea but I think that as authors, we should all be conscious that about 90% of what we write is trash...

I always plug this, but National Novel Writing Month is a very good test of whether you have motivation enough not just to start writing but to continue writing!
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I always plug this, but National Novel Writing Month is a very good test of whether you have motivation enough not just to start writing but to continue writing!

And continue. And continue. Even when your fingers are dying and your parents are yelling...your non-existant social life is even more gone...chocolate and coffee will become your friends...and that magical little leprachaun will always tell you to keep writing...

I have my one main project - [i]Gifted[/b], which was my Nano effort...and then I have several other small stories which pop up every now and again.

I have no trouble putting ideas to page/computer...it is just the editing and making it sound just right which annoys me...
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

[i]Gifted[/b]

Bahahahahahahahahahhahahahah I failed there....
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I would like to think I could make a story out of anything lol XD I made an EPIC story about a cat named Steve in 2nd grade. Lulz. Steve went to cross the street to see more cats cause he was all alone in the house and he met a bunch of new cats and became friends with a dog, and he tried to take the dog home with him, but the dog got hit by a car while crossing the road to the house cause he didnt want steve to get hit.

I won a STICKER for that in 2nd grade. BEAT THAT. X3 lol

And I have to sit down and figure the basics out for my story. then later on I can add more stuff. but sometimes it just becomes a word hurricane and i lose the time and the effort to finish it. maybe this summer I will write something...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

This thread was revived with a spam post and therefor locked...

Showing 136-150 of 153