ForumsWEPRDoes free will exist?

209 37883
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

A classic argument. State whether you think free will exists or does not and give your argument.

• 209 Replies
Eric_Cartman
Eric_Cartman
100 posts
Nomad

dendrophilan on youtube has all the answers, cool and very funny videos. but i dont think free will exists, i mean if it did i'd be out there eating instead of writing the damned comment.....im wasting my life.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

@Drace, you say that your emotions are used by your brain, but we can control our brains. We choose to use our intelligence with our brain. You contradicted yourself there.

It is possible to be happy at the worst of times, but it is harder because of your emotions on the current situations. It is also possible to think 2+2=5 but that is the case when someone either doesn't actually know the answer, or just doesn't choose to use their knowledge of simplistic math equasions.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

No because there is discipline

EX a child runs in a circle and punishment is hit with a belt, the same child talks about running around in a circle and is hit with a belt, a child looks like hes thinking of running around in a circle (dang these are mean parents) and is hit with a belt. They continue this process until he is 18 and out of the house. Now he will not think nor try to run around in a circle even if he wants to for fear of pain.
discipline = fear = no free will
courage can always be beaten down if it spikes up

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

HA

He fears to do it. That has no affect on whether it is possible for him to do that. Now you also say he won't even think about it. Well why was he running in a circle for years knowing that he might get the belt? Why would it make a difference if he's out of the house? The fear of being hit which you might say. Well if he fears it so much WHY was he doing that until 18?

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Well, um, I've already stated my opinion somewhere along the first seven pages, so if you want to look into that, that would be cool.

Drace, remember that we also have hormones and such affecting our body roughly based on time and nutrition. for example, Testosterone.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Where do you suppose personality comes from?

Look at the following picture...

http://www.medem.com/MEDEM/images/ama/ama_brain_stroke_lev20_thebraineffectsstroke_01.gif

The prefrontal cortex determines your ability to plan, reason, concentrate, and adjust behavior. The main part I want to talk about is behavior since it pretty much goes with personality and determining a criminal. Before you say that part of the brain is developed based on previous experiences, think again. The brain is made while in the womb. Why do you think babies have their senses? Now, throughout life, the brain can be changed but not so much as to make you a killer. I question why you keep saying people in the hood are the people who kill others. All kinds of people commit murder and they did not have the same lifestyle. There are some who had the perfect life but still killed.

Your brain is like a computer with great protection. It would take a lot of hacking to change it.
Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

And also, think about what effects your decision making, and perhaps, if you were perfectly free at one time in life, no worries, fears, happinesses or anger, you could make a perfectly free decision. and what you want would be unnefected by anthing.

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

But the problem of your argument is that your talking about human behavior... were talking about free will, which is much different.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Yes, behavior is quite different than free will or the choice to do something.

You can have very bad behavior, but it doesn't mean that you can't act in a good manner or in good taste. Yes, bad behavior may connect to your bad actions, but your behavior doesn't command your actions. It is simply a name for your actions. One who does good deeds, and overall has a good attitude (I know, bad definition, but bare with me :P) is someone with good behavior. You choose to have good behavior/bad behavior.

TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

But the problem of your argument is that your talking about human behavior... were talking about free will, which is much different.

I was answering a question in this thread. Also, it has to do with free will since it shows that your brain decides everything. Your brain is a part of you so therefore, you have free will.
Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

It might have something to do with it, but not much... And the main argument in this thread was that things around you influence your decisions/will.

Your brain is a part of you so therefore, you have free will.

And the main problem with that is the influence of outside components... for example, your worries and fears.
thepossum
thepossum
3,035 posts
Nomad

of course free will exists or else rules and laws would never be broken and they obviously do get broken

Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

of course free will exists or else rules and laws would never be broken and they obviously do get broken

But our argument is the influencing things.
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

And the main problem with that is the influence of outside components... for example, your worries and fears.
Yes, everyone has fears, but what we do with these fears as with anything else is our choice and our choice alone.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

True, but there are people who conquer their worries and fears. I actually think we are coming to a point where there are people who have more free will then others.
Showing 166-180 of 209