ForumsWEPRDoes free will exist?

209 37882
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

A classic argument. State whether you think free will exists or does not and give your argument.

• 209 Replies
Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

That was just an example, there are many things that influence you, maybe not in a direct way, but enough too make your judgement clouded. Perhaps maybe a devout budhist that spends his/her days meditating would have complete free will, but the people like me and you have all the problems.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

We have free will to a certain degree I think. I can chose what I want to do today. I don't need to do what anyone tells me. But the problem is, If I don't do some things in a manner that our society dictates, I will lose my free will. If I don't go to school and get a job like everyone is pressuring me to, I won't have any money and my choices will be very limited. So I think, we have free will, but we need to achieve a proper balance between being a sheep, and going our own ways, in order to maximize the amount of freedom and choices we have. Also, We have the ability and freedom to try anything, but society does determine how successful we will be in our ventures.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The prefrontal cortex determines your ability to plan, reason, concentrate, and adjust behavior.

Well no duh we have a brain that is able to plan, reason and adjust behavior. What these things do is reason out thoughts. They use thoughts to reason out other thoughts.

If someone is to say lets go play basketball, that part of the brain isn't just going to choose "Yes" or "no". Its going to reason it out with previous thoughts, such as that you have to go to work today, and that you can't be late.

You think I'm saying our brains are developed after birth? Lol...
No no, we just gain thoughts which end up contradicting other thoughts and also develop on those thoughts and a personality forms.

People's personality changes btw, your brain does not, but your thoughts do
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Not exactly...

Everyone has free will, and that means that others will react favorably or otherwise to all your choices in lfe.

Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

Free will does not mean the ability to command everyone you know. Its You being able to make your own choices. And you do have that ability...hopefully.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

You have the free will to choose how you deal with those problems.

You were just saying part of our brain controls our choices?

We can't really control our brain...lol. It controls us.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Perhaps maybe a devout budhist that spends his/her days meditating would have complete free will, but the people like me and you have all the problems.

You have the free will to choose how you deal with those problems. There are some who just ignore those problems or solve them while others commit suicide. Environment affects what problems come at you but you have the free will to decide how to react to them.

There is no way that people in the same environment think the same. Why do we have groups of people such as jocks, goths, preps, etc.? Everyone has a different brain.
Lilboi3000
Lilboi3000
230 posts
Nomad

You think I'm saying our brains are developed after birth? Lol...
No no, we just gain thoughts which end up contradicting other thoughts and also develop on those thoughts and a personality forms.

Your partially right; that thoughts form are personalities, but what review is saying is that the brain, such as the frontal cortex and other parts of it that are not influenced by thought and other outside components, are already developed. And your brain would need a bunch of hacking for it too change.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

what review is saying is that the brain, such as the frontal cortex and other parts of it that are not influenced by thought and other outside components, are already developed.

Well yes this could be true, but that does not contradict not having free will. It just means that some people take things differently from others. We all still do form thoughts on previous ones.

Why do we have groups of people such as jocks, goths, preps, etc.? Everyone has a different brain.

We didn't have any of those 200 years ago. Its society.
Flipski
Flipski
623 posts
Nomad

No, I think humans have always formed groups. Maybe there weren't jocks and punks, because there was no such sport and no such music. But I bet there were those who prefered to wear bone jewelry and those that liked to dance around a fire. Its human nature to group with like minds.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

And flip, people change, your brain doesn't, thoughts do.
One can be an emo, then not.

Maybe there weren't jocks and punks, because there was no such sport and no such music.

Well ehh...
Emos cut themselves, apparently. There were always knives back then.

Trait learned from society.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

We didn't have those type of groups but I am sure we had groups back then. They could be as simple as different Native American tribes a long time ago.

Umm, you were BORN INTO a Native American tribe, you didn't join one lol. And whoever was in it, went with them and became one of them, meaning ate the same food, same kind of clothes, and same traditions.

Thanks for the example...

And about my theory, I think you understood it wayy wrong
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

Well yes this could be true, but that does not contradict not having free will. It just means that some people take things differently from others. We all still do form thoughts on previous ones.

We had the free will to make those first thoughts if we are going with your theory. That means we all have free will. We do learn from our mistakes (most of us) but we have the free will to do that. We choose to change our lifestyles after a mistake.

We didn't have any of those 200 years ago. Its society.

We didn't have those type of groups but I am sure we had groups back then. They could be as simple as different Native American tribes a long time ago.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Once again, you have the free will to choose to change.

And that would mean that...you are not born with a brain that makes you emo.
TotalReview
TotalReview
803 posts
Shepherd

One can be an emo, then not.

Once again, you have the free will to choose to change.
Showing 181-195 of 209