ForumsWEPRDoes free will exist?

209 37879
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

A classic argument. State whether you think free will exists or does not and give your argument.

• 209 Replies
Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Also, I never said we only follow our past, we make progress out of it and make complex behaviors that shape our personalities. I'm just saying that whatever we do can be broken down or simplified, because there is always a chain of events, and we are merely a part of it.

notataco
notataco
189 posts
Nomad

i believe free will is what you make of it. to some its merely being able to get up and be in a place you call home. to others it means being able to do whatever you want whenever you want.
Free will is just something that you must take as not fact but opinion.
so you can make of it what you want. (hence the opinion lol )

razaki
razaki
263 posts
Nomad

I still am not completely following you. Perhaps I'm missing a fundamental part of your argument, or maybe I just really disagree that much, lol. I don't know.

What I DO know is that I agree with you to a point, as I've said. Where we disagree is actually at a point slightly further than your last post went. Yes, our decisions can be broken down into cause and effect. Yes, we can see WHY someone made a decision. The actual decision itself, though, lies solely in the mind of the decider. At the crucial time of decision, he or she makes the choice.

Often, that will follow his past or logical cause/effect relationships. Sometimes, though, it goes against all seemingly logical means and is way out in left field. To me, that seems to indicate that we do have the choice, period.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

Free will...huh? I guess I'll have to think about that...it determines my mind...as like scholarship.

warmech711
warmech711
89 posts
Nomad

The question of free will is whether, and in what sense, rational agents exercise control over their actions and decisions. Addressing this question requires understanding the relationship between freedom and cause, and determining whether the laws of nature are causally deterministic. The various philosophical positions taken differ on whether all events are determined or notâ"determinism versus indeterminismâ"and also on whether freedom can coexist with determinism or notâ"compatibilism versus incompatibilism. So, for instance, hard determinists argue that the universe is deterministic, and that this makes free will impossible.

dangit thats a mouthful, sorry for the redundance too...

zombieslayer
zombieslayer
94 posts
Nomad

i believe we thrive off of 3 things impulses logic and instinct

we have free will inwhich how we use the logic he have

we dont have it however in the fact that we have instinct like all animals though they live souly on instinct while we only use it at certain times in our life

but even at that we do and dont with impulses we dont choose when or how we get them or even for what for but we do choose how to act on them

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Zombie, you would really be interested in Kantian Ethics. If you will google that term and read up. He believes strongly in our animal instincts and how it affects morality.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Animal instincts are very powerful. Even I use them in my ideas sometimes.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Serb, we are speaking of the more metaphysical free will. Keep up.

fride76
fride76
93 posts
Nomad

lol most of you are acting or "trying to act" smart off of crackheads theroies and papers. not meant to be specific

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

if there is no free will, you could not be held responsible for your actions. o, well it was my animal instinct that made me rob,murder,rape,etc... that is crap. you made the decision to write in this forum...by your own free will.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Fride what in the world are you talking about?

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

he's saying you guys act smarter than you really are...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Ahhh... thanks Raptor for the translation.

So Fride, why do you think that? I would hope that my education has served me well.

TMNTWIGY
TMNTWIGY
79 posts
Nomad

Ya eshploded you have a good point

Showing 16-30 of 209