ForumsGamesExit Path 2

380 110739
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

I don't know if this thread has been made previously, but if John is going to make another Exit Path, don't you think there should be a level editor? I want to know if any of you guys agree with me on this.

• 380 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

I heard it at john's site

KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

custom maps that u make your self

No. I don't want to search through a list of garbage levels just to find the 5 good ones made by others. Not to mention I think 95% of the people begging for a level editor will never use such a feature.

. Only having a game for racing isn't enjoyable.

That's just wrong on so many levels. Any game can be enjoyable regardless of the genre (people don't play Farmville for nothing you know). It just depends on the games design in general.

Exit Path's racing being "unenjoyable" has to do with the fact that it simply gets redundant because of the low amount of levels (and by that I exclude stuff like Fuzzballs which takes 6 seconds tops <_&lt, which are also very straight forward in design and don't allow for much strategy (double jumping fixed this issue to a degree, because it made finding the &quoterfect route" much more ambiguous).

The reason a few people like searching for hidden spots basically proves that the basic gameplay of the first game can still be improved. Because if the racing is amazing people will automatically do it more

And with the double jump. It brings more routes to each level instead of doing the same mundane thing each time.

You fail to realise that this can be done without the need of a double jump. If a stage has alternate routes that are equally rewarding, you can safely ignore double jumps when designing your level.

For example, you could have your flow meter influence your jump height. So if you manage to conserve your flow throughout the stage you are rewarded with a higher jump (which could potentially lead to short cuts). Actually you could add the double jump as an extra bonus for completely filling the flow bar. The flipside is that levels have to be designed so it's not too easy to get flow.

Personally I think it'd be a nice risk/reward system but it's probably too far in developement to implement :\\ .

Looking at his website we already know a few things:

1.) Supposedly faster multiplayer servers (which is always nice =D)
2.) "new obstacles/challenges" and "new ways to interact with the game"
3.) Working slopes

Going back to my earlier point, the slopes could actually have interesting applications. Imagine the following: You have two routes with one being longer than the other. The tradeoff is that the short route has an upward slope which slows you down and kills your flow, while the other one has no obstacles like that.

Effectively you could use the slopes are speed booster / brakes

And to try and spur some discussion: Any other ideas you guys have for new mechanics and obstacles?
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That's just wrong on so many levels.

It's personal preference. I'm not going to be playing the game just for racing. That isn't enjoyable to me and I'm sure that many other people that play wouldn't like to just race on the game as well. As you can see, everyone gets bored of racing sooner or later.
You fail to realise that this can be done without the need of a double jump.

No it can't. You fail to realize that most current levels require the double jump so that you get the alternate routes. If John puts stages with alternate routes already without requiring the double jump, then yes. I understand. Yes, there are SOME stages which you don't need the double jump for the alternate route, but the double jump makes the route faster to get on and to complete.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

It's personal preference.

It's what the game is designed to be. Not to mention "many others" just refers to the few guys that actually comment on this board. If tricks were actually more fun than racing you'd see the random guests (which take up the majority of players mind you) doing those more than racing. Since this hasn't happened racing still remains the main point of the game. And if the main point is not enjoyable, that just means the game has bad design elements.

No it can't.

Remind me what this thread title is again? This is about Exit Path 2 and as such my points about stage design are all about the possible design of new stages (and I actually adressed the old stages in my post and said they are simplistic). And since I'm fairly sure you haven't PLAYED EP2 all we can do right now is speculate.

Besides the new tile engine could also mean that double jumping is gone anyway, so such stages would be necessary in order to keep interest.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It's what the game is designed to be.

Of course. But it's monotonous. You're going to sit there and tell me you don't get bored of racing all the time? It's fun to explore each stage looking for new things that have yet to be found or to just practice them. Also, people don't always do what the game is 'designed' to be. Some people like to do other things while playing.
Not to mention "many others" just refers to the few guys that actually comment on this board.

The 'many others' refer to who I see on Exit Path whenever I play the game. There's at least two people where ever I go doing tricks instead of racing.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Nope, can't say I did. Having said that I think it's not a secret that I stopped playing actively a while ago. However that is not because racing is boring, it's because I got bored of the way there was exactly ONE route to take and taking a different one would always result in you losing (even if you so much as failed a small double jump).

Can't remember Faith or Zero doing anything other than racing either.

Remember what your original point was?

Only having a game for racing isn't enjoyable.

It has nothing to do with it being racing. It has to do with the racing fundamentals being flawed which makes people be bored of it.

Remember Mario? It's "just a platformer" yet it still yes a lot of replay value to this day

Mario Kart? "Just a racing game" right? Still lots of fun to play.

practice them
Pointless without racing :3

Also, people don't always do what the game is 'designed' to be

That just proves all the more the fundamentals are flawed. Getting bored of racing (the games point) is a BAD thing because it means there are elements which are simply not fun.

Some people like to do other things while playing

"while playing"? So they ARE racing after all

The 'many others' refer to who I see on Exit Path whenever I play the game. There's at least two people where ever I go doing tricks instead of racing.

Still a VERY small minority out of the million times the game has been played
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

1.) Supposedly faster multiplayer servers (which is always nice =D)
2.) "new obstacles/challenges" and "new ways to interact with the game"
3.) Working slopes

1) Wonderful.
2) I wonder what that'll be like.
3) That's an interesting thing to add to Exit Path. Would certainly be fun.
Mario Kart? "Just a racing game" right? Still lots of fun to play.

You can't compare Mario Kart to Exit Path just because it's a racing game. Mario Kart is fun because you get to play with friends without going into random rooms, you get to be in a vehicle while playing the game, you have those sort of weapons that knock over the other racer. Mario Kart and Exit Path aren't comparable.
Pointless without racing

I didn't say ELIMINATE racing. I implied that it's fun to mix it up a bit when playing the game. If you practice levels to see which route is fastest then race sometimes then okay.
"while playing"? So they ARE racing after all

'while playing' meaning that they like to do other things when playing Exit Path.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

You can't compare Mario Kart to Exit Path just because it's a racing game.

Mario Kart and Exit Path aren't comparable.

wut

You can compare them EXACTLY because they are different like that. Both are the same genre with the same concept: reach the goal. How this is different for each of those games is what makes it interesting.

YOur argument is like saying you can't compare Mario and Sonic just because they are platformers.

Mario Kart is fun because you get to play with friends without going into random rooms, you get to be in a vehicle while playing the game, you have those sort of weapons that knock over the other racer.

Good job for listing the reasons why exactly Mario Kart has more replayability ^^ (except the point about the cars because that makes no difference where gameplay is concerned. You might aswell replace the cars with running characters without changing anything (Sonic R anyone?))

Those things EXPAND on the fundamentals of a racing game which is why Mario Kart is overall more fun to play.

practice

I wasn't talking about practicing since I count that as a part of the "racing" design (since you try and enhance your racing performance). I was mainly talking about tricks which literally serves no purpose (and is only done by a minority of players). If you are trying to "explore" things, you should try a game where that is actually rewarded.

But I'm not going to pursue this particular point further because it's gone too far off-track from my original argument.
darkrai097
darkrai097
862 posts
Nomad

Mario Kart Requires you to drive and turn and use items. Exit Path requires you to move and jump. They are completely different.

MrCoffee
MrCoffee
29 posts
Nomad

Kenty is completely right. In the genre of racing there are a multitude of sub-genres. While each sub-genre is unique and different. They can all be connected through the main genre. Therefor any game in the same genre of another game is comparable, although Mario Kart and ExitPath are not the best comparable items. They CAN be compared and there is no reason to start a pointless fight over something small. You all are supposed to be 13+ start acting like it.

Thank you,

MrCoffee

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

You can compare them EXACTLY because they are different like that. Both are the same genre with the same concept: reach the goal.

Just because two games have the same concept, which with these two is to race doesn't necessarily mean you can compare the two.
Mario - drive, get items, hurt the other racer, turn the vehicle.
Exit Path - Run towards the end. Can't do anything else than that.
I was mainly talking about tricks which literally serves no purpose (and is only done by a minority of players).

With the tricks you can find new routes to each stage, so they do serve a purpose.
If you are trying to "explore" things

Without players exploring the game then the double jump and these other quicker routes wouldn't have been found.
They can all be connected through the main genre. Therefor any game in the same genre of another game is comparable

That's like comparing Mortal Kombat and Boxing with each-other. They are both fighting games and the goal is to defeat the other person, but both of these games are completely difference and you can't compare them.
They both require you to fight with another individual and beat them, but you simply can't compare these two games due to them being vastly different from one another which makes them incomparable. That's just like with Exit Path and Mario. You can't compare the two because they are so different from each-other.
If you want to compare Exit Path with something then compare it to something like Nascar or anything else that doesn't have so many features in such as Mario Kart. In Nascar you go to the end and that's it.
there is no reason to start a pointless fight over something small. You all are supposed to be 13+ start acting like it.

It's not a fight, fool. It's a discussion. Oh, and on the second part. You should take your own advice. You're just adding more fuel to the discussion with your post.

Now then. Back to the topic of Exit Path 2. We all know that it's in the making and that Beta invites should be coming out soon.
But, is there anything else about it?
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

But, is there anything else about it?

well, this is just me, but i hope that EP2 has more of a plot. i want it to be more that just escaping the government test facility by running straight ahead. i mean, that has to be a core part of the game, but i hope that it's more expanded. like with achievement unlocked. in achievement unlocked, there was one room where you got achievements. in AU2, there were more rooms, more things to do, and all sorts of crazy stuff. you could poop pastries!!! BUT it still kept the main concept of the game, to get achievements. i'm not sure if that would work with EP2 and the way it's set up (running away) but i hope it does.
Randoom35
Randoom35
3 posts
Nomad

I think there should be a level editor but also it doesn't give me the option to sign in when I go to play it I'm always a guest no matter what! And if he can't fix that he should at least make a wider variety of guest names, because right now theres like 12!

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

it doesn't give me the option to sign in when I go to play it I'm always a guest no matter what!

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/1Matrix1/Exit%20Path/ExitPathLogin.png

After you click that then fill out your information then you should be logged in.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

wow, for a second, before i read your post, i though that was a snapshot from exit path 2 beta!! but it wasn't but i guess i should be glad because if it was i would have known i wasn't in beta, so now i have a chance

Showing 166-180 of 380