ForumsWEPRMormonism

428 87164
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I'm starting this topic to "continue" a conversation started in the Christians vs. Catholics thread. I will include some of the details from there, but the rest are up to anyone new to read up on. I will specifically post the contents of one post, more or less.

We did not baptize Adolf Hitler. That is a lie. After people baptized for Obama's mother, an official release was sent out saying that unless you specifically know the person who's name you are bringing in to do temple work for (not the names that they already have) or they are in your family, you cannot do temple work for them.

We are not barred from being around ex Mormons. We do not necessarily believe they are with Satan. We excommunicate people for their good. In our views, it gives them a second chance. They can rejoin the church later, and their sins will be gone, just as they were when they were first baptized. I know many ex Mormons, and I do not get in trouble for being with them.

South Park is in no way an authority on anything. The fact that you're trying to cite that is pathetic.

Yes, there was polygamy. But it was revoked in the 1890's (even if only for legal reasons). Joseph Smith did not try to burn down a newspaper place. He was taken to jail for no real reason. If he shot back, it was only because they were shooting at him.

The reason non members are not allowed in the temple is because of the sacred things that go on in there. If just anyone was allowed in, the spirit would be disrupted. I will expound on this if needs be.

I am personally ashamed of the acts of other Latter-Day Saints who have done temple work for people without permission from relatives of that person. It is wrong, and we know it.

Tithing... It was actually in Christ's day when it started. The only reason it affects our worthiness to enter the temple (not our standing in general). The Lord gave us everything we have, and all he asks is 10% of what we earn. I'd say that's a pretty small price for life, liberty, and happiness.

Also, we believe in Agency and Accountability. You can choose to do what you want, but you will have to accept the consequences.

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. He is my savior and my redeemer. I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. I believe the Bible to be true as far as it is correctly translated. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be forgiven for our sins and return to live with our Heavenly Father. I have seen the Atonement in action in my life. I know that God listens to all prayers to him. He answers them in his own way. I know that I can make it to the Celestial Kingdom if I but do my best to keep the commandments of God.

• 428 Replies
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

Well, I'm back from another hiatus. Based on the last couple pages, I have something to post today!

@sprooschicken while you have a good point with your most recent post, a lot of the time, when someone does oppose a religion, it is crapping all over it. Now, I'm not saying this is always the case. Many of the people posting in this thread have actually been very civil, even if I wasn't always so civil at times.

@gaboloth Since I don't think your questions were answered well enough anywhere in the thread since you asked them, I will answer here. While we do have agency and accountability, there has always been some amount of predictability in what someone is going to do based on a situation. There are also things that had to happen for the Plan of Salvation to move forward. I finally have time to work on that post (the huge deadlines at work are finally gone), so I can get it up soon.

It doesn't look like there's much else to answer here. If I'm wrong, feel free to bring up questions that still have gone unanswered, and I would be glad to answer them to the best of my ability.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

Yes but it added nothing to the discussion, lets keep itbfriendly as well as civil.

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
350 posts
Nomad

what do mormins believe.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I can't be bothered typing everything they believe so i hope this article explains everything for you brave:

What Mormons Believe.

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
658 posts
Nomad

this religion is a joke

I wish you would just keep opinions like that to yourself. Why do you have such a strong dislike for it? You should at least respect other religions.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

You should at least respect other religions.

I'm more inclined to respect the person rather than the belief. I see no reason why religion should earn automatic respect.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

this religion is a joke.

How would you know that and what did we ever do to you?
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I'm more inclined to respect the person rather than the belief. I see no reason why religion should earn automatic respect.

This is very true. This is probably the best stand to take.

Also, I jinxed myself last time when I said I had time to do stuff. I was hit by a wall of deadlines that only just ended for a brief time.

Anyways, update. I came out of the closet (as bi, for those who don't remember that post). I've gotten very much support from my church and my family and friends, which is much more than I could have hoped for.

Over the last few months, my own beliefs have been challenged like never before, and all that has done is strengthen them.

@bravehawk204 Here is what we believe:

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in his Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul â" We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
~ The Articles of Faith

We believe, and I testify, that Christ knows every human individually. He knows everything any of us goes through. He experienced all of it in Gethsemane - He took on the burdens of every man, woman, and child who has lived, who is now living, and who ever will live. Every cut, bruise, ache, and pain has not gone unnoticed. I believe that if we look to Him and draw near to Him, we will come to know ourselves much more than we ever could alone. He is the the ultimate example of love and mercy. He is who I strive to be like in my own life. This is where I stand, and I will not deny it.

Ultimately, the choice is yours whether you want to believe anything, but I have chosen this very day that I will not falter in what I believe.
Showing 421-428 of 428