ForumsWEPRMormonism

428 86951
Linktopast30
Linktopast30
109 posts
Jester

I'm starting this topic to "continue" a conversation started in the Christians vs. Catholics thread. I will include some of the details from there, but the rest are up to anyone new to read up on. I will specifically post the contents of one post, more or less.

We did not baptize Adolf Hitler. That is a lie. After people baptized for Obama's mother, an official release was sent out saying that unless you specifically know the person who's name you are bringing in to do temple work for (not the names that they already have) or they are in your family, you cannot do temple work for them.

We are not barred from being around ex Mormons. We do not necessarily believe they are with Satan. We excommunicate people for their good. In our views, it gives them a second chance. They can rejoin the church later, and their sins will be gone, just as they were when they were first baptized. I know many ex Mormons, and I do not get in trouble for being with them.

South Park is in no way an authority on anything. The fact that you're trying to cite that is pathetic.

Yes, there was polygamy. But it was revoked in the 1890's (even if only for legal reasons). Joseph Smith did not try to burn down a newspaper place. He was taken to jail for no real reason. If he shot back, it was only because they were shooting at him.

The reason non members are not allowed in the temple is because of the sacred things that go on in there. If just anyone was allowed in, the spirit would be disrupted. I will expound on this if needs be.

I am personally ashamed of the acts of other Latter-Day Saints who have done temple work for people without permission from relatives of that person. It is wrong, and we know it.

Tithing... It was actually in Christ's day when it started. The only reason it affects our worthiness to enter the temple (not our standing in general). The Lord gave us everything we have, and all he asks is 10% of what we earn. I'd say that's a pretty small price for life, liberty, and happiness.

Also, we believe in Agency and Accountability. You can choose to do what you want, but you will have to accept the consequences.

I have a testimony of Jesus Christ. He is my savior and my redeemer. I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that Thomas S. Monson is the living prophet today. I believe the Bible to be true as far as it is correctly translated. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can be forgiven for our sins and return to live with our Heavenly Father. I have seen the Atonement in action in my life. I know that God listens to all prayers to him. He answers them in his own way. I know that I can make it to the Celestial Kingdom if I but do my best to keep the commandments of God.

• 428 Replies
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

and wrongly used, there is a difference between actively destroying a religion and telling someone whos trying to convert you to buzz off

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Mormons are not your friends though, are they? Mormons fall into the same category as door-to-door salesmen, only instead of 2-bit vacuum cleaners they're peddling a 2-bit religion instead, there's really no difference. One gets annoyed at door-to-door salesmen for intruding upon ones time so the same is allowable for Mormons. Just as if you wanted to buy a vacuum cleaner you would go to the shop - if you wanted to learn about Mormonism you'd go to one of the Churches, use the website or approach a Mormon for yourself.

ShonaFurey
ShonaFurey
67 posts
Nomad

Yes but people talk out about how inconvenient their calling to the door is, yet the majority don't invite them in or engage in conversation so it's a minor blip in ones day. it's not exactly going to interrupt the day as such.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Yes but they are also persistent in their approach, a person could say no three or four times before they were actually listened to and I know that that's happened to me personally on at least 2 occasions, it would be fine if they left as soon as you said that you weren't interested but (like salesmen) they try to wedge their foot in the door so to speak.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

i whole heartedly agree, but i didn't say they were my friends

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Ah, but when it comes to persecution, were the baptists massacred in Missouri, had their land stolen, had to trek 2000 miles in the dead of winter and exiled out of the United States? Oh wait. They weren't. Just the mormons.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

all very very sad im sure, however such things have happened to many races and peoples, however this doesn't have anything to do with them having any right to infringe on my personal space

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

We don't We just knock, you say no, and we leave. How in the world are we supposed to know if you are busy or not? Plus, mormons have some of the highest standards out there. Don't drink, smoke, abstinence, no cussing....what's wrong with high morals and ethics?

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

you have no right to knock, i dont care about anything any mormon has to say to me about their religion, nor do most of the people, your not meant to know if we are busy or not, you are meant to assume we are busy and that we have no interest in what you have to say, and to not knock the door, simple as that

why are you telling me about your morals? nothings wrong with them, i just dont care, stop trying to flog your religion to me

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

I'm not, I have yet to preach anything to you. At all.

And I'm not here to make enemies, nor let something I would die for be slandered.

And you don't know most people don't want to hear it, because you cannot assume you know every single person's wishes and desires; just your own.

sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

I'm not, I have yet to preach anything to you. At all

you have been telling me of your wonderful morals actually, since it had no relevance, id say that was preaching

And I'm not here to make enemies, nor let something I would die for be slandered.

you would die just to come to my door and try to flog m yoour philosophy?!

And you don't know most people don't want to hear it, because you cannot assume you know every single person's wishes and desires; just your own

but i can know that most people dont want to be bothered when they are at home, i can guarantee you that most of the people you visit will either be agnostics that dont care atheists that dont care or theists that dont care
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

[quote] i can guarantee you that most of the people you visit will either be agnostics that dont care atheists that dont care or theists that dont care

Actually, over 1 billion people are catholic, so that kind of trashes that point.

And yes, I would give my life for my religion in a heartbeat.

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Wow. Fail.

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Ahem.

i can guarantee you that most of the people you visit will either be agnostics that dont care atheists that dont care or theists that dont care

Actually, over 1 billion people are catholic, so that kinda trashes that point.

And yes, I would give my life for my religion in a heartbeat.
sprooschicken
sprooschicken
1,147 posts
Nomad

actually the fact that over one billion people helps my point, it shows that 1 billion people (if thats true) have a religion and dont want yours

i understand you would give your life for your religion, but yo would die just to tell people that dont care

Showing 361-375 of 428