ForumsThe TavernGeneral Science Discussion

1019 157099
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, I was searching to see if this was already made, but the searches didn't show a thread with my idea so here it is. I am making this thread so we can have a typical tavern discussion thread for all things science! Basically, a thread for everything science! Ranging from discussions about laws and theories, scientific debate, breakthroughs, discussion about new scientific breakthroughs, certain scientists/philosophers, and all that good stuff!
So go out there and let out your inner science! ;P
To get us going somewhere I'll start: what do you think the future holds for technology? I think our knowledge will allow us to overcome the obstacles thrown at us in the future, I mean, we have discovered so much and have come so far!

• 1,019 Replies
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

You may be an *** sometimes, no offense, but your pretty ****ed smart.

I don't know about the first part, but I feel that all of us that are a part of this thread are pretty smart!

I think we left out a system: Barnard's Star at approximately 6 light-years away.
Barnard's Star is a Red Dwarf system with two medium-sized planets (Earth like in size). The planets here could support life. Yes, it is farther than Alpha Centauri, but Barnards has a guarantee two planets. In the end we would still most likely end up going to Centauri first.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

I don't know about the first part

Have you ever talked to Mage in a thread about religion? He's as die hard Athiest as the Pope is Catholic.

Would a planet orbiting a dwarf star be viable?
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Have you ever talked to Mage in a thread about religion?

Honestly, no...
Would a planet orbiting a dwarf star be viable?

Well yes of course some have even been discovered including one revolving around Gliese 581; any planet in orbit around a red dwarf would have to huddle very close to it to attain Earth-like surface temperatures though. A planet around a Brown Dwarf wouldn't be possible for Earthly climate, but who is to say a planet can't orbit a star be it Red/Brown Dwarf or not?
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Honestly, no

In WEPR, he is usually a complete ***, but I can see where he is coming from.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

In WEPR, he is usually a complete ***, but I can see where he is coming from.

Off topic-ness! Lol, anyway, let us not continue about a specific user; don't want our thread to get locked now do we? :P

So do you have any more thoughts on Dwarf Stars and habitable concerns we can address and discuss?
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Good point.....

Well, would a planet orbiting a dwarf star be completely stable? Although I don't agree with it, some claim a slight change in extraplanetary gravity can mess with stuff. Some people claim the moon caused the earthquake in Japan.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Barnard's Star is a Red Dwarf system with two medium-sized planets (Earth like in size). The planets here could support life. Yes, it is farther than Alpha Centauri, but Barnards has a guarantee two planets. In the end we would still most likely end up going to Centauri first.

There is some debate on whether there is an Earth sized planet there as further testing has failed to verify the findings. Though many do accept the original findings. Unless there was a more recent observation I'm not aware of.
Though if there was one in the habitable zone it would be locked with a one side always day and one side always night.

Have you ever talked to Mage in a thread about religion? He's as die hard Athiest as the Pope is Catholic.

Not to derail this, but all God has to do is basically show up and say hi. Anyway back to the topic.

Maybe we should try and work out some other form of tech like a teleporter.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

If the planet had a satelite it might rotate.

Teleprters seem to be one of the most conflagrated scifi devices.

Well, God doesn't just show up and say hi unless some big ****'s bout to go down...

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

If the planet had a satelite it might rotate.

It would likely not have one as the gravitational forces would pull it away. Even if it did it would likely be tidal locked as well either to the star or planet.
Though being tidal locked doesn't rule out the possibility for life. between the day and night side would be a perpetual twilight zone that could possibly allow for life to develop.

Teleprters seem to be one of the most conflagrated scifi devices.

They really exist already. They just the way they work isn't at all practical for travel and if we could use it on a large scale it would end up creating an exact duplicate of yourself rather then actually transporting you to the new location.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/breakthrough-brings-star-trek-teleport-a-step-closer-451673.html

Well, God doesn't just show up and say hi unless some big ****'s bout to go down...

Let's save it for the WERP.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

How can a sattelite be tidally locked?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

How can a sattelite be tidally locked?

The interacting gravitational forces keep one side always facing a single direction. Earth's moon is actually one example of a tidal locked satellite.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

*facepalms*
I feel like an idiot..... I was thinking as in being in the same angle relative to the planet and star.

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

*facepalms*
I feel like an idiot.....

Aw, don't be mad at yourself, we all have those moments!

It would likely not have one as the gravitational forces would pull it away. Even if it did it would likely be tidal locked as well either to the star or planet.
Though being tidal locked doesn't rule out the possibility for life. between the day and night side would be a perpetual twilight zone that could possibly allow for life to develop.

Life could also thrive on the light side once created/introduced(imported). Plants could do their photosynthesis on the light side, herbivores eat the plants, and the hunters eat the prey. On the dark side life can adapt as well. While many if not all plant species will be in the light or twilight, our nocturnal friends would find a way to live in eternal dark(unless of course they roam to the light/twilight for food). Not to mention if we have a nice atmosphere, oceans/seas, and algae, all the better to create and keep a hold of the oxygen thus letting it spread to all corners of the planet. Then plants on one side wouldn't necessarily matter.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,679 posts
Peasant

Life on a planet as extreme as this wouldn't resemble the life on Earth at all.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Life on a planet as extreme as this wouldn't resemble the life on Earth at all.

Actually we probably can find examples of what life might be like on such a planet here.
Showing 91-105 of 1019