ForumsWEPRScience as a religion?

134 25657
Wafflesquad
Wafflesquad
170 posts
Peasant

A religion? AND before you say that I'm flaming, I don't mean all of science. I mean mostly things about the Big Bang, evolution, etc. It's all theoretical right? And theoretical things haven't been proven. Please post thoughts, and remember that I'M NOT FLAMING.

• 134 Replies
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

The reason science is not a religion is because it does not offer an ethical theory nor compel people to believe it. It is simply an interpretation of evidence in the most logical way possible.

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

If you think about it, some religions are based off science so yeah, i guess science could be a religion. By the way, doesnt tom cruz believe in scientology or something of that nature?

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

If you think about it, some religions are based off science so yeah, i guess science could be a religion. By the way, doesnt tom cruz believe in scientology or something of that nature?

So some religions are based off of observations - so observations are a religion?
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,210 posts
Peasant

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about, but that's okay. I get used to it. For once, religions are not based of science, or atleast most of them. Sure they put a bit of science there and there, but are not based on science. Scientology, as far as I know, has nothing to do with actual science.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

If you think about it, some religions are based off science so yeah, i guess science could be a religion.

Like which religions? Examples please.
By the way, doesnt tom cruz believe in scientology or something of that nature?

He's a scientologist, or rather one of their most prominent mascot. So what? Scientology is an infamous sect that sucks the money out of their disciples and make them unable to reintegrate back to society, and they have nothing in common with science.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

He's a scientologist, or rather one of their most prominent mascot. So what? Scientology is an infamous sect that sucks the money out of their disciples and make them unable to reintegrate back to society, and they have nothing in common with science.

And religions based off of science don't in any way suggest science being a religion.
Gremlion
Gremlion
522 posts
Blacksmith

@HahiHa,Einfach
Pythagoreanism and some other greek philosophic schools was religion-like sciences.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Pythagoreanism and some other greek philosophic schools was religion-like sciences.

But this doesn't make science a religion any more than observations a religion.
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

If something is based off of something else....Okay here's an example.
The violin was based off the Arabian Rabab. Does that mean the Rabab is a violin? No.
Sorry if that was a bad example.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

If something is based off of something else....Okay here's an example.
The violin was based off the Arabian Rabab. Does that mean the Rabab is a violin? No.
Sorry if that was a bad example.

I based my post off of Tacky's, so you could take that as Tacky's post is my post.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Scientology, as far as I know, has nothing to do with actual science.

You would be correct, it doesn't have anything to do with actual science. It was a name used for Hubbard's earlier self help program Dianetics. (which wasn't intended to be the basis of a religion.)

The term scientology did exist prior Hubbard's use. It was first used to belittle the acceptance of science, to indicating a blind unthinking acceptance of science. Which really is a contradiction in terms.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

I'll just plop this here, relevance directly to this thread starts at 5:26 mild cussing is involved.

Scientology, as far as I know, has nothing to do with actual science.

It has something to do with alien souls being trapped in our bodies or something. Nothing to do with science, they have their own pseudo-silence thought.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

It was a name used for Hubbard's earlier self help program Dianetics.

*a name used for Hubbard's follow up to his earlier self help program...
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,210 posts
Peasant

I'll just plop this here, relevance directly to this thread starts at 5:26 mild cussing is involved.

Wow that was really good! Great piece of art. I wish that vid would get more attention.
SageCreed
SageCreed
40 posts
Nomad

Science as a religion ?

Kinda Weird.

Showing 46-60 of 134