ForumsThe TavernThe 'Rant' Thread

297 59489
Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Basically just a thread to rant about anything and everything. I won't bore you with rules or anything, just remember to stick to the community guidelines and don't let this get out of hand

• 297 Replies
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

Actually, I hate to burst your bubble, I really do, but I have to point out that a theist is a person who has belief in a god or gods (i.e. a religion), and the prefix a- means not, so an atheist is in fact a person without a religion, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you don't have a religion, why not be an atheist? there isn't anything wrong with that. There isn't anything wrong with simply not wanting to be called an atheist, either.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

but I have to point out that a theist is a person who has belief in a god or gods

One word, Budhism.
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

I am not a buddhist myself, but correct me if I am wrong, the teachings of buddhism do not entail belief in any gods, so that means a buddhist may or may not be a theist. They have the right to choose for themselves.

(also, not exactly sure what point you were trying to make with that, could you clarify?)

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

Budhism is an athieistic religion, so if you're a Budhist, you're also a part of religion.

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
658 posts
Nomad

Actually, I hate to burst your bubble, I really do, but I have to point out that a theist is a person who has belief in a god or gods (i.e. a religion), and the prefix a- means not, so an atheist is in fact a person without a religion, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you don't have a religion, why not be an atheist? there isn't anything wrong with that. There isn't anything wrong with simply not wanting to be called an atheist, either

Isn't an atheist a person who doesn't believe in Satian or God?
Sorry, I'm just confused.
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

Actually, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was implying that a theist was someone who has a religion. I'm sorry if that didn't come directly to mind, but I was just saying that most religions have gods (or a god).

that said, isn't an atheistic religion kind of an oxymoron?

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

that said, isn't an atheistic religion kind of an oxymoron?

Budhism has everything all theistic religions have but a god/deity.
bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

To turtelman1234: so... it's a religion. that's what I was saying.

To notinthepie3: I don't know what your strange, witchcraft symbols mean. sorry.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

ty= thank you

bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

oh... well then you're welcome.

(Thanks, turtledude! also, can I call you that? or will you get offended?)

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,914 posts
Nomad

I guess? As long as you get the Turtel part right and dude isn't replaced with something crude or calling me the opposite gender, I don't care.

bschnauzer7
bschnauzer7
290 posts
Scribe

Thanks, Turteldude. (btw, I'm probably going to call you that forever, or at least until you tell me to stop.)

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

Actually, I hate to burst your bubble, I really do, but I have to point out that a theist is a person who has belief in a god or gods (i.e. a religion), and the prefix a- means not, so an atheist is in fact a person without a religion, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you don't have a religion, why not be an atheist? there isn't anything wrong with that. There isn't anything wrong with simply not wanting to be called an atheist, either

An atheist is a person who doesn't believe in a higher power. People who don't associate themselves with religion aren't necessarily atheists as long as they are open to the possibility of a God(s). I forget what they call that, but there's a word.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

I know I'm about 3 hours late on this, but here's the Huck Finn Censorship link

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Now that I've read the current discussion:

I don't believe that at all. I have friends who don't have a religion, and it ticks me off all the time when people ask my friends, and are like "You don't have a religion? So you're Atheist?" NO THEY'RE NOT! GOSH! Why can't people just not have a religion and not be considered Atheist? Really? They just haven't looked into it yet, or they didn't grow up in a religious household, etc.

I think that falls under Agnostic.
Showing 16-30 of 297