ForumsWEPRThe R Word

110 25040
supermape123
supermape123
431 posts
Nomad

Hello.I have seen a few commercials on TV saying not to say the R word.I would personally like to say to all the people that say this word are rude,disruptive,and have no common decency whatsoever.I have a couple of friends that are like this and are the nicest people I know.I just wanted to say that in hopes people would stop discriminating with harsh name calling.If you follow this just comment and agree.

Thanks,Super

• 110 Replies
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

But he banned the word without explaining an appropriate use of the word. Like if someone said the a-word, there are completely acceptable uses of the word. When the use of a word is right and wrong should be explained instead of just banned. Simply saying "that's bad" isn't a good lesson.

Don't act like kids don't already know what's "appropriate" and what's not. You're let known from pretty much kindergarten on what you can and cannot say to the other children and at school in general. There are mentally handicapped kids in the kindergarten classes too.

NITP3, just how old were the kids in your class when this happened?
TheLegitGamer
TheLegitGamer
181 posts
Nomad

It seems that a lot of words have been taken out of their definition to be insults. Such as ***got (a bundle of sticks) Retard (Mental disability) And Gay (Homosexuality or Happiness). I never use these words for insults. I never use them that much anyway. The proper insults would be an idiot or jerk. It's always nice to reply somebody who calls you gay that it also means happy. And i laugh at premature insults that people give me. I love peoples childish antics to insulting.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Don't act like kids don't already know what's "appropriate" and what's not. You're let known from pretty much kindergarten on what you can and cannot say to the other children and at school in general. There are mentally handicapped kids in the kindergarten classes too.

Very true. If the kids had of cussed and said the f-word, would the teacher really need to explain that this would is inappropriate but used in the right context is a description word of engaging in sexual relations? I don't think so.

As matty said, kids are brought up, for the most part, to know what words will get you into trouble. & they usually use the word first in the house before saying it to a teacher, so chances are the kid had already been told by their parents not to use it.
SIBER
SIBER
20 posts
Nomad

She or He is ' Special '.
What about, referring to them as ' special ? '.

I feel, that word is not offending.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

stop necroing plz.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

stop necroing plz.

Thread is less than 2 months old and has been active for most of that time thus this thread wasn't even dead to begin with.

The world retarded comes from psychology when they tried to classify all mental disorders. It is entirely dependent on the intentions of the person using either they are diagnosing an individual, describing an individual or just insulting the individual. There is nothing wrong with the word but on how the person uses it.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Retard, deriving and rooting of "Retardant" as in, to slow down and/or halt progress, i.e. flame-retardant foam

An insult? Stupid people. Very stupid. Lots of slang now, and lots of insults. It was better when we shot each other, rather than making some argument of 60-80% slang

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Freedom of speech. Get used to me swearing bubs, I speak my mind. Who are you to tell me I can't swear occasionally if it hurts your little intolerant mind?

In fact, there have been many studies on how swearing might have positive effects. Look here. Or here.

Sticks and stones break my bones, but names don't hurt me. Man up, and get used to it. Words are just words unless you let them get to you.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Sticks and stones break my bones, but names don't hurt me. Man up, and get used to it. Words are just words unless you let them get to you.

I'd agree with you, but the really high teens suicide rates in many western countries seem to disagree with you.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'd agree with you, but the really high teens suicide rates in many western countries seem to disagree with you.

Well, suicide cases are caused by many things. Drug overdose, parental problems, grades, breakups. I would say a small percentage is caused by low self esteem due to bullying.

But really, is retard that strong a word? To many it isn't even an insult for Christ's sake.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Calm down, and don't start an argument. Let people speak without putting them down.

As for Nichodemus' point of view, contrary to your obvious belief, words can hurt. Especially if a fist and foot back them up. Try to have a bit of foresight.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

words can hurt

Definitly. And it hurts a lot more when you're insulted a lot or by someone you care about. Out of all the pain that I've had, I am sure that the worst have been emotional and not physical.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

... I see your points entirely on the concept of words hurting though I should state that it no longer affects me. It used to happen to me a lot when I was younger, being excluded and verbally (+ physically) bullied but it's mostly stopped now and any verbal harassment has dissipated. If it does get to the point in an argument (escalated from a debate thanks to his exaggerating) my brother-in-law does try and hurt me with words.
I laugh. Too many times he's done it, he's exaggerated, he's trolled, he's raged and he's been an insulting bafoon. I can't even take anything he says seriously properly now, as my opinion of him (that I don't actually show) is so low :P

Other people? Meh, I construe it in another way for the better of everyone and if that doesn't work, it's their problem, not mine. :P

Whereas if it's someone close to me? Don't know. I disregard most of my family's opinions for different reasons, so that wouldn't effect me.
The only person I could think of would be someone I'm in a romantic relationship with, and even then it would have to be a deep one. :/

And even then I may be hurt - but how hurt would I be? Would be worth something finding out, honestly.

- H

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Callous much? Ah, well. Who says I'm different? Anyway, tad off topic. The R-word, not words on a whole. Or maybe words on a whole, basis being the R-word. Second option.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Callous much?

Yeah, kind of.
I don't show any emotional pain, and I don't feel it in the heat of the... whatever, fight, argument, name-calling competition. I don't feel it because if I do it'll make me more irrational, and that there's no need to have a negative thought process anyway when I could be investing my time trying to fix it.

Second option.

I agree. In the case of the word "Retard" I really don't think there's much more to be said rather than it's not directed to mentally ill people, and thus shouldn't be construed as such.
I get the idea that people could be insulted by me accidentally indicating an insult in something I say (which I no longer do being as I make sure my oration sounds the way I want it to), but with insulting words, especially in a case of banter, I really can't see how it would come off as insulting unless you put the conscious effort to link it.

- H
Showing 76-90 of 110