ForumsNews and FeedbackHas anybody noticed...

57 14657
jerrymouse295
jerrymouse295
6 posts
Nomad

Armor Games v3 sounds like Kongregate. The search is like Kong and I heard something about ACHIEVEMENTS. I don't know, but another gaming website that I've been to has something very similar that...

• 57 Replies
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

I feel like this thread has been trolled by kongregate elitists. What a suprise.

Silentsand
Silentsand
1 posts
Nomad

Although I should probably say it somewhere else, I'll say it here because I find it sad I recognize some of the names of people from Kong.

While it does look a bit similar, I like the old format better, simply because it's more condensed. I find that using half the page for featured and popular games to be a little silly. Kong uses a little less, but the difference is it isn't centered, and a few other things break up the page.

The tabbed scroll through featured things sounds a bit better to me, but it's changing way too fast. Not just the transition, but how long each part stays up is really short.

What irks me the most is that almost all the pictures are huge compared to the old version. I still like the the way each genre is arranged, but those huge pictures simply feel unnecessary to me.

I like that you have a section devoted to developer updates, albeit it's smaller than I would have liked. Since AG is host to many developers, I think that a subscription to the developer should be done through the site in PMs.

I hope if/when you add achievements you stay away from the Newgrounds model, because I don't think that worked out so well. I hope I've offered enough constructive criticism to make up for the trolls. Except Greg, because Greg can't be a troll since I worship him. Go Kong, or something.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I personally think more people are just P-Oed about the fact they can't sir spam a lot for all their AP, and therefore have dashed their chances of internet fame. The new system when fully implemented will give way to those who actually play games, or prefer to stay in the forums.

As for looking like kong - the design of AG3 is so much slicker and well organized than kong could ever dream about being. The creators have put a lot of thought into make the new site easy to navigate and rather pretty to look at. Kongs design is a total mess.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

thank you Jeffery! that is what i was saying! but no one listens to the DEV... they just complain.

but i see a lot of kongers complaining (and ones that just signed up)... AG has full rights to make there page how it is, yes it is not the best on looks but in VIEWING the SCORCE code i see AG is sleeker than Kong, i think matrix is right if you AG users don't like the looks go to get satisfaction and post on A (as in ONE) topic about it stop spamming this part of the forum with Kong vs AG, this part of the forum is for AG3 ideas and problems and general beta testing, it is not and AG vs Kong place, thank you.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

To be honest you have to say there is similarities in the page itself. Sure it's slicker, well organized and better in the code but you can see that it definitely has similarities with kong in the way the layout works.

Anyway, I find the lack of Administrators in this thread slightly annoying. Possibly none of them can actually say anything because they're on holiday (Or something else) but I still think we should have some kind of reason or even an admin explaining that the layout is (being changed/staying the same)

In the end I don't really care about the layout. If a game comes out on kong and not on AG. I'm going there to play it there even if the layout is horrible. Same vice versa. The community is still better here and the homepage really has little importance to me.

DarthNerd
DarthNerd
1,762 posts
Nomad

Sure, armor games V3 has a very similar layout. So? Saying "OMG HAX ARMOR GAM3Z STOL3 M@H 3P7C KONGRATE STUFFZ" isnt going to make kongrate say "Wow armorgames, your noobs, now we us magic powers to destroy you" or armor games say "Look noobs, we haz design first, go away and suck your thumbs, or else we mega uber ban you". Copying them is just saying "Hey, its a good design, we'll us it to" not "HEHEHEHHEHHEHEHEHE WESA STEAL YER' EPIC DESIGN!" So armor games has a design almost the same as kongrate. Good for you, you noticed.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

Because Heaven forbid that more than one site has game ratings! Or achievements! Or even, dare I mention it, flash games!

*gasp*

Seriously, if you love Kongregate so much, then why don't you guys just stay over there? Because coming here and making a bunch of new accounts just to whine like five year olds doesn't speak much for the site you represent.

Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

7,012 posts

Gold - King

Flag

@Yodadude53:

AG:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/MatrixJJC/Armor%20Games/AG1.png

Kong:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/MatrixJJC/Kongregate/Kong1.png

AG:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/MatrixJJC/Armor%20Games/AG2.png

Kong:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/MatrixJJC/Kongregate/Kong2.png

AG:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/MatrixJJC/Armor%20Games/AG3.png

Kong:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n537/MatrixJJC/Kongregate/Kong3.png

I don't think I'm the only one that sees the similarities.

I didn't see many similarities, and just because Kongregate has something doesn't mean others can't use it. It's not like they invented it. Besides, that would be stupid, there aren't any other ways to display categories without "copying them". Also, even if AG was similar to Kongregate, which I don't think it is, so what? They are allowed to do that.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I feel like this thread has been trolled by kongregate elitists. What a suprise.

^

Does it really matter if the layout for AG3 is similar to Kong? They both have their communities and and their own unique features. If you don't like the things on AG then go back to Kong. Don't turn this into a flame war.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

@Dregus2:
Okay? I wasn't trying to argue in either sites favor with the pictures, I was just showing the similarities in them. It's not like it's illegal for a site to have a similar page or even features, if it was, then the Internet wouldn't be what is is today.

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

I hate this so much.

Armor Games has been such a fun site for so long. I always loved showing up and seeing all the new games for me to play. I loved seeing when a game took a spot in the list of six popular games. I loved the random games button, but that's besides the point. I loved being able to see 12 games from each category without even having to scroll down the page.

And now. Armor Games has apparently taken a great deal of effort to make a new site even though there wasn't anything majorly wrong with their old site. The few things that were wrong went mostly unaddressed. They talk about all the blood sweat and tears that went into this process, and yet it was all just to take a site I loved and ruin it. Fewer games get shown and they take more space to show them. Not only is it a worse site but it's unoriginal, blatantly ripped from any number of other sites, notably Kongregate. They took their great, original, unique, charming site and turned it into this. Why? I can't think of any reason except for some kind of uninspired marketing gimmick.

And what do people say? Some say they love it because of achievements or whatever. Some say they love it just because. It's Armor Games and it's new and why think for myself when I can just go with the flow? Some say you shouldn't worry about it because any problem anyone has can be dismissed with the phrase "it's just a beta." So don't give your opinion before the beta because we don't know anything about it yet. Don't give your opinion during the beta because we still don't know how it will turn out. And don't give your opinion after the release because, well, it's too late.

And some say they can't see the similarities between Armor and Kongregate. When those similarities are rubbed in their faces, they say two things. They say they still can't see them, and that they're allowed to have similarities. It's not like it's illegal or anything. Well you know what? That's called moving the goal post. The original claim was not that Armor Games wasn't allowed to copy people, it was that they DID copy people, and you said they didn't. So don't give me that crap about them being allowed to do it.

So yeah. It may sound like I'm overreacting at changes made to a gaming site, but you have to understand how big a part of a person's life a site like this can be. I come here almost every day, and I know I'm not the only one. To remove this part of our lives, to sweep it out from under our feet, is just a little unfair.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

@TharosTheDragon: Older users tend to not like AG3, but new users basically want it. In fact, Ernie15 already admitted the inevitability of AG3 and is willing to go with the flow. I happen to be a newer user, and I like AG3, especially with an achievements system.

And some say they can't see the similarities between Armor and Kongregate. When those similarities are rubbed in their faces, they say two things. They say they still can't see them, and that they're allowed to have similarities. It's not like it's illegal or anything. Well you know what? That's called moving the goal post. The original claim was not that Armor Games wasn't allowed to copy people, it was that they DID copy people, and you said they didn't. So don't give me that crap about them being allowed to do it.

It's not copying. It's just having a similar design to one that already exists. If the original design was bad, then similar designs would also be bad, but I think AG3 has a good design.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

It's not like it's illegal or anything

Of course its legal. Its akin to Pepsi sueing Coca Cola because they happen to have similar bottle designs. Its frivolous.

While I'm confident that the AG Administration is open to suggestions, its improbable to expect them to scrap the project over a non-issue such as similarity in the web pages, or a few users not liking the scheme.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

i agree AG should change there set up (as in the amount of games shown and what is) but the colors and more are just people not accepting change,the problems where not the looks as much as be hide to sences, AG2 is made in Xhtml 1.0, that came out in 2000, also it was made by a third party company si it is cumbersome to change, so they made AG3 made it in an updated html with more java so it is sleeker, and now that they made it they can change it on the easy.

if you look at AG3's socre code (f12 or right click and go to "veiw corce&quot it is a lot cleaner and sleeker and so on. they could change the whole site a lot easyer if they need to! but look at kong or overs and i don't see that they are a sleek or clean.

this update (the coding of it) is a big deal! wether or not the say out is good, that can be changed...

also about the admins, do you expect the to show up here and put all the work in to this bickering! they have work to do. XD

TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
202 posts
Farmer

In fact, Ernie15 already admitted the inevitability of AG3 and is willing to go with the flow.

I too think it's inevitable but don't see any reason to keep silent about my opposition. How is Ernie15 being willing to go with the flow a point in AG3's favor?

It's not copying. It's just having a similar design to one that already exists.

Are you saying they weren't influenced by Kongregate? How could you possibly know that?

If the original design was bad, then similar designs would also be bad, but I think AG3 has a good design.

Good design meaning what? It's all pretty? You don't care about practicality or using space well or showing more new games?

While I'm confident that the AG Administration is open to suggestions, its improbable to expect them to scrap the project over a non-issue such as similarity in the web pages, or a few users not liking the scheme.

I don't care about the scheme or originality so much. It's the idea of scrapping an original design that was my favorite on the web and replacing it with an unoriginal design that ditches the old site's advantages. And you have no idea how "few" those users are. It seems like too many people don't speak out and would rather just "go with the flow."

also about the admins, do you expect the to show up here and put all the work in to this bickering! they have work to do. XD

So when they say they want feedback, they only want to hear from the people who like the new site?
Showing 31-45 of 57