ForumsWEPRHeaven is for Real

81 27520
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

This isn't about how I feel about heaven being real. It's more about how this boy feels about heaven.

Heaven is for Real

So this boy had a near-death experience and he wanted to share what he saw there. WHat do you think about it, do you belive it? Do you think he was just seeing things? Post your opinion.

• 81 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I've been looking at a lot of these questions and they would be answered by picking up a Bible and looking through it. An internet source would also be good like: Biblos.com

we have another guy needed to be teached a lesson of reality
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I've been looking at a lot of these questions and they would be answered by picking up a Bible and looking through it. An internet source would also be good like: Biblos.com

Right. I can also write a book about pink unicorns, purple elephants and green dolphins. Now I get some people to endorse me. Now, you have to believe it because it's in my book. IT SAYS SO IN THE BOOK. I mean, what more evidence can you possibly want? It was in a book! The animals spoke to me and I wrote it down!

Not to be demeaning, but referring to a book and saying it's the truth without providing visual, auditory, touch, smell evidence.

It's tautological and I will show you why. I left FC as Fundamental Christians.

Me: Why is the Bible true?
FC: Because the Bible is infallible.
Me: Why is it infallible?
FC: Because the Bible is the word of God.
Me: How do you know itâs the word of God?
FC: Because the Bible says it is the word of God.
Me: But how do you know that itâs telling you the truth?
FC: Because the Bible is infallible.
â¦

http://pseudoastro.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/circular-reasoning-in-creationism.jpg
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Not to be demeaning, but referring to a book and saying it's the truth without providing visual, auditory, touch, smell evidence, is hardly going to get peoples' serious attention.

Left out the last bit.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

Heaven isn't for real. Obviously everybody knows that. Wish people'd stop sayin it is when it ain't. Serious, now. You is adult, you don't need to make stuff up. Wish people would stop claiming heaven exists when it blatantly doesn't. Honestly, some people...

if everybody knows that then why are there theists? even in your second paragraph you say that you know the think it exists. how do you know it doesnt exist? how do you know people invented it? also not all theists try to reinforce that, and how do you know they are wrong? and saying that all theists are gullible is too general. i do agree that just because those books say it exist it doesnt mean it does. they have their perspectives and you have yours. and yup i agree with the last sentence
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Bluerabbit, can you please explain to me what serialmurderer said in his post, I'm finding it difficult to understand what he said

stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

Flag
Heaven isn't for real. Obviously everybody knows that. Wish people'd stop sayin it is when it ain't. Serious, now. You is adult, you don't need to make stuff up. Wish people would stop claiming heaven exists when it blatantly doesn't. Honestly, some people...
No, heaven doesn't exist, no it wasn't proven, yes, people did invent its existence, yes theists still try to reinforce that, yes, they are wrong. The bible is a book written for gullible people, so theists are gullible; just because the holy books including the bible and the Koran say it is so doesn't mean to say that it is; get some perspective to your lives! Just because you are told something exists, doesn't meant to say that it does...
Well, my fellow non-believer, my point. Somewhat. There possibly could be a heaven made from your mind when you die, so those people who say that they talk to God and there is a heaven made by God that you have to do good things to get is a whole lot of BS.
stephenking
stephenking
2,413 posts
Nomad

True. Generally heaven is sought after by theists. However it was stated in a book without any supporting evidence. Therefore there is not proof that it exists. I'd pretty much state that heaven is unlikely to exist without further proof. The bible is just an overhyped book. The Koran's okay, but really religious holy texts are largely overrated as books. I much prefer to see some form of evidence that simply to take people's word for it myself personally. Therefore I doubt that heaven exists. Therefore I don't understand why people belligerently state that it does exist when it most probably doesn't. That's just annoying. Otherwise I'd probably suggest that heaven is just make-believe for people to have a purpose in life when they very well may not. That's what I think, anyway, but I guess that people are entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid it is. That is the beauty of the freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want as long as it's not racist and you're okay. But I still don't believe that heaven is very likely to exist. The thought seems rather absurd without evidence, like a silly little idea that nobody cared to back up with any real evidence, but it stuck anyway because it was fabricated in a time of immense gullibility and now it is too far inset to be discouraged. But I still would believe that heaven is likely non-existent; that's what my opinion is anyway...
My opinion too. You can't say that heaven is real when you have to die to see it. It's not real in my opinion.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Therefore there is not proof that it exists. I'd pretty much state that heaven is unlikely to exist without further proof.

Well, religious people or scientists will be sad depending on how you see it, because the existence of God or Heaven or Angels or Hell or Demons is not falsifiable.

There is absolutely no way to proof that Heaven does or does not exist. Yes, it's just in a book, but is there evidence to show that it doesn't exist? Or that it does exist? None.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

. If you fabricate an idea without any evidence, then you can't assume that you are simply correct because it can't be disproven.

I never said such ideas can be correct. It's just not falsifiable. Meaning, science and experiments cannot prove whether it is true or not. I say prove that it is true, because that's also one key aspect of non-falsifiable claims. Just as they can't be proven to be true, they can't be proven to be untrue by science.

If we take the belief in heaven and put it to the falsifiability test, we can see that the claim that "a heaven exists" is not falsifiable. It is simply impossible for a human to prove that a heaven doesn't exist due to the varying definitions of heaven, the vastness of space needed to be explored, etc. A counter-claim can be made, but such a claim would also fail the falsifiability test.

The fact that they invented it without evidence, seems silly.

For people, after life experiences or miracles are already proof that Heaven exists. People bite what they perceive to be true, and to them, that's the case. For them, it doesn't matter whether others believe it or not.

That seems a little bit too unstable foundations for an idea. therefore I'd like to think that people would try to prove it before they make the statement.

Do you accept the idea that blue whales are the largest animals on earth now? Or that the moon is not made up of cheese? Sure. But you don't actually see the evidence, you just take what others have came up with and assumed that it is true, under the mantle of science.

therefore I'd like to think that people would try to prove it before they make the statement

As said earlier, they have already proved it to themselves.

That means that we'd have to assume that it does exist.

A non-falsifiable idea does not need to be true or untrue. It simply is in limbo.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I never use ideas suspended in limbo; they're too unreliable because they can't be proven or disproven.

Ideas don't always have to have a logical answer. Reliability is just one aspect that we have measured successful answers against.

Plus the religion and heaven was fabricated out of nothingness,

Religion wasn't fabricated out of nothingness. It is a set of beliefs that are fashioned out of morality, man's quest to understand the world, and fear. Not everyone takes religion literally these days, in fact, they aren't even mutually exclusive.

then people started claiming they saw it for glory or because they genuinely believed that their hallucinations during a semi-daze was heaven, when it was actually just their own imagination.

And you have ways to prove that it's just their imagination? The mind is a puzzle that we haven't unlocked fully, what is imagination? How can we tell that something is imagination? Tell me that.

If it isn't to be proven or disproven, then best take the safest option and see whether it fits in with the real world; and no it doesn't and therefore I refuse t believe that it exists...

I actually won't get too cocky about that.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

If ideas don't have a logical answer, then it is impossible to imagine all of the ideas that could be thought up of because there are an infinite number of them. Thinking of these ideas is pointless unless proven.

There are infinite ideas, whether logic comes into play or not. It's only pointless because there is no ''result'', which is what some people measure ''oint'' as. I don't need to prove heaven exists. To a Christian, it keeps him happy. That's all that ever needs to be.

Seeing as they thought of it, it must be imagination.

I think that all guns are dangerous. But it must be my imagination right?

Even if that is what heaven is, it's still a part of the subconcious mind.

Again, this fails the falsifiability test on both counts. You can't prove it wrong, but you can't prove it right.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

True. Generally heaven is sought after by theists. However it was stated in a book without any supporting evidence. Therefore there is not proof that it exists. I'd pretty much state that heaven is unlikely to exist without further proof. The bible is just an overhyped book. The Koran's okay, but really religious holy texts are largely overrated as books. I much prefer to see some form of evidence that simply to take people's word for it myself personally. Therefore I doubt that heaven exists. Therefore I don't understand why people belligerently state that it does exist when it most probably doesn't. That's just annoying. Otherwise I'd probably suggest that heaven is just make-believe for people to have a purpose in life when they very well may not. That's what I think, anyway, but I guess that people are entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid it is. That is the beauty of the freedom of speech. You can say whatever you want as long as it's not racist and you're okay. But I still don't believe that heaven is very likely to exist. The thought seems rather absurd without evidence, like a silly little idea that nobody cared to back up with any real evidence, but it stuck anyway because it was fabricated in a time of immense gullibility and now it is too far inset to be discouraged. But I still would believe that heaven is likely non-existent; that's what my opinion is anyway...

well this is completely different from what youve said. and except that i do believe heaven exists i completely agree with what you said just now. next time, you have to explain your opinion in this way before you just type

I agree with you up to a point. However, I still think that if there's no evidence that it does or does not exist, then you can't simply assume it does just because you can't prove it either way; that's just presumptious. If you fabricate an idea without any evidence, then you can't assume that you are simply correct because it can't be disproven. The fact that they invented it without evidence, seems silly. What makes them think that their unsupported ideas will happen to be correct? That seems a little bit too unstable foundations for an idea. therefore I'd like to think that people would try to prove it before they make the statement. Not make a statement and then state that it must be so because it can't be disproven. That means that we'd have to assume that it does exist. Therefore I don't believe that it is at all likely that heaven exists.

yes it is annoying when theists say they KNOW that it exists. i dont know and neither do they. but... they couldnt always prove the earth is round could they? it was always a fact but they just couldnt prove it. its pretty much the same thing.

if you cant disprove or prove something, you cant say you KNOW its real or not. all you can do is believe that it exists or believe it doesnt.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

exactly. but in your first statement you said that everybody knows heaven doesnt exist and you said that the bible/kuran/god/whatever isnt real. both those who say they know its real or know its not real are just... cant find the word but i think you know what i mean since we agree

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

if you cant disprove or prove something, you cant say you KNOW its real or not. all you can do is believe that it exists or believe it doesnt.

the one's that claim it to exists should give proof if it's existens. aslong they can not give proof for their claims, i don't have to believe those claims.

it's like i claim that "care bears" do exist and if you do not believe that also. then you will burn in hell forever.
now you need to proof that they don't exist. and i need actual proof. but i myself will never give proof for the claim i made.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

the one's that claim it to exists should give proof if it's existens. aslong they can not give proof for their claims, i don't have to believe those claims.

did i ever say you HAVE to believe in that?

i can say that you have to prove to me it doesnt exist and if you cant then i dont have to not believe those claims. but again, no one makes me not to believe in it. i do disagree with those people who shove their religion and beliefs in your throat but you have to understand that not all theists are like that.

im not sure what you are trying to argue about unless you think all theists try to make other people to believe in the same thing they do.

and you do realise that not all religions believe that the non-(insert religion here) are going to hell right?
Showing 31-45 of 81