ForumsWEPR[necro]What's the big deal about smoking?

163 52340
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I don't get people why they are so against it?
If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

• 163 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

it's because we are a proud species, and our pride is given a blow when people ask us to leave, or to stop.

No....Smoking is just addictive. Many smokers are just unhappy since they know its harmful, but they can't stop because their body craves it. Pride plays a tiny role.

Some smokers are very rude and will smoke near people even if they have a problem with it. On the other hand, some non-smokers are very rude, and will go out of their way to harass smokers.

Doubt there's a strong direct connection between smoking and manners to be honest.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

that's just the way humans are. don't take it personally.

I wouldn't use that as an excuse for anyone. Anyone capable of self-awareness and thinking for themselves, which is everyone, is more than capable of realizing what they're doing. If not, then it's their individual self that is the problem.

I can say this because I've exceeded, as have many others, what people call "Human nature", because there is little logic / reason backing it up, or a method that does a better job.

Arguing with you for why you should move if you smoke next to them is a fair thing to do, but often the aggression and / or the personal insults will just ride themselves in, given as most people rely on the strength of their arm rather than the strength of their tongue, when it comes to making a point.

Doubt there's a strong direct connection between smoking and manners to be honest.

Indeed. It's more or less related to addictions and people, on a person-by-person basis, I would think.

There is no need to smoke, and any "benefits" it offers can be substituted with more efficient, healthy ways that could make your living experience, as short as it is (ironically shorter if you smoke) better than you may originally think. It's common practice for people to attribute their imperfections to human nature, or the subjective opinion that nobody else is perfect, and those comparisons of poor competition only highlights peoples poor ability to defend their actual actions.
Do not think of things on a relative basis, gather an "absolute" understanding or standard of which YOU act on. It's sad to see the banter I consistently withstand in school and my ability to laugh with it as "Astonishing", I just look at it as it should, or even, could be interpreted. Why would I start a fuss over being called something that I know isn't true?

Alas, something that could be of use to you all could be this video (the link is to YouTube, it's safe).

- H
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

well when I thought of it, it was two opposites, like the two sides, and they affect you, the coin. I've never met a smoker with asthma, so I thought it was odd.

i know 2 (and maybe more that i dont know they smoke?). my mother and one of my old classmates. smoking is an illogical choice... but smoking knowing that you have asthma? that just crossed the line of logic long ago.

i remember in one of our trips... that girl had an asthma attack, used her inhalor and then started smoking to "calm herself down". yes she actually said it. that was the biggest facepalm i ever did.

idk. the person could just wait until he is alone. or if he really "needs" one he can just excuse himself for a moment and go smoke one. its really not that difficult. even someone who is addicted can do that.

personally, i found it really rude when my friend just started smoking near me, knowing i dont like it AND knowing that i have asthma. it made me feel as if he doesnt respect me and that the cigarete is more important to him then my convenience.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

used her inhalor and then started smoking to "calm herself down".

The only positive thing anyone's mentioned so far is stress relief. Why not take some ginseng tea instead?
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

i remember in one of our trips... that girl had an asthma attack, used her inhalor and then started smoking to "calm herself down". yes she actually said it. that was the biggest facepalm i ever did.

Wow that is a mega-facepalm and really funny

It's kind of funny because where I live I rarely see any smokers yet it seems like there are usually a lot more, and good for me as well I guess
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Most of the people where I live are considerate about their smoking. I usually only know they're smokers because I can smell it on them, other than that I never see them smoking.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

I've never met a smoker with asthma, so I thought it was odd.

are you seriuosly gonna carry that with you, come on man think properly
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

people make such a big deal about smoking because they want to save the human population and want to stop making things that kill ourselves. Also becasue people have hearts and most want to do good for others and if scientists and people know that smoking can kill you and create real problems for other people then they want to inform you of it so you know the consenquences.

numino
numino
214 posts
Peasant

Why not take some ginseng tea instead?

are u seriuosly gna carry that with you, be strategic man
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

idk. the person could just wait until he is alone. or if he really "needs" one he can just excuse himself for a moment and go smoke one. its really not that difficult. even someone who is addicted can do that.

personally, i found it really rude when my friend just started smoking near me, knowing i dont like it AND knowing that i have asthma. it made me feel as if he doesnt respect me and that the cigarete is more important to him then my convenience.

That act does not prove a correlation between smoking and manners directly.
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

It is because so much people have died from smoking. So the board of health wants to stop people from hurting themselves from smoking.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

It is because so much people have died from smoking. So the board of health wants to stop people from hurting themselves from smoking.

pssssssssst, lots of people die from drinking alcohol you know
let's make alcohol illegal, that worked great last time aswell
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

pssssssssst, lots of people die from drinking alcohol you know
let's make alcohol illegal, that worked great last time aswell

instead of banning, we could just put heavier restrictions on it. that way smokers won't feel lonely (satirical comment).

-Blade
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

are u seriuosly gna carry that with you, be strategic man

Then what other positive benefits does smoking offer other than as a relaxant or stress reliever?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

instead of banning, we could just put heavier restrictions on it. that way smokers won't feel lonely (satirical comment).

-Blade

Doesn't work that way. Prepare for some economics.

The demand for cigarettes is extremely price inelastic, which means that even if prices go up high, people will still buy them.

Look at the supply and demand curve on the left:

http://tutor2u.net/economics/revision-notes/as-marketfailure-indirect-taxation_clip_image001.gif

Even when you increase the price from P1 to P2, the quantity demanded, i.e the number of cigarettes demanded, shifts only a little. Taxation doesn't work by itself and might force smokers who can't afford it to turn to the black market.
Showing 61-75 of 163