ForumsGamesMonsters Den Chronicles: Party Builds

64 45238
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

So, I haven't seen any forum activity on the new Monster's Den, and I'd figure I would draw up a quick thread on what some of your favourite, or most effective party builds are.

One of the parties I have found to be most effective is:

Warrior - Champion
Cleric - Confessor
Ranger - Marksman
Ranger - Warden

This party is all about sustainability. You won't get massive ammounts of damage from this party, but you will have consistency, high accuracy, and a group filled with abilities to keep everyone alive for those long drawn out fights.

Strategy:

Your main healers are the Warden and the Confessor. Both will eventually gain the ability to revive fallen members and this is the top priority skill once available. The damage dealers will be the Marksman and the Champion. However, I do like to give the Marksman healing abilities when I can, but mostly stick to your offense first.

Armor:

For the Confessor get the magesteel set if you can, or anything to boost endurance and intellect.

The Campion will require endurance and strength.

Marksman will require endurance and dexterity, though starting action is also a good bonus. Or extra quickness.

Warden rounds out with dexterity and intellect gear.

• 64 Replies
waterzxc
waterzxc
10 posts
Nomad

This is my party :
Warrior - The upper one
Cleric - The lower one
Ranger - Marksman
Rogue - Assassin

Not as sustainable as yours, but it provides stability in most games.

Marksman's skill of stunning has good synergy with Assassin's skill to instant kill stunned enemies. In most game, you can kill one enemy in the first turn by this combo.

The second combo is Marksman's arrow rain with critical hit and assassin's ability to attack all enemies in the back. In turn 2, you have high chance of eliminating annoying mages

Warrior's skill of drawing enemies' attention makes him the ideal meat shield. I spend all upgrades on his endurance, now even the boss finds it difficult to kill my warrior.

kiraice
kiraice
57 posts
Nomad

This may need higher levels. When I have this party they already had several levels.

Warrior - Captain
Cleric - Inquisitor
Mage - Conjuror
Rogue - Assassin

Strategy: Time Warp

This is all about time warp. You'll see mobs standing there and doing nothing because their turn never begins. To Achieve this everyone in this team need to have:

1. very high speed (>50)
2. % in starting action

So remove anything with "-"X Quickness and add those with "+". When I did this I found most of them are *Naked* and with lots empty slots.

Then, try to manage this team. Make sure no member is slower than Conjuror, or you'll see them looking blank as mobs.

In V 1.00 I don't think any roles other than Conjuror is a must. Simply "Time Warp - Pass Turn" repeats itself as easy as that. However in 1.01 this tactic got nerfed immediately. Now I also need Animate Shadow. Sometimes may need Push Harder from Captain.

Try my video examples on Youtube
[url=http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL21A8F194D8F03D48]

AlderonArmor
AlderonArmor
210 posts
Blacksmith

I've been running with Champion - Confessor - Conjuror - Warden

Managed to get to the last boss in act 3 without having to restart or retreat with this party, heavily defensive, have the Confessor in Radiance front middle row and the rest of the party around him.

First turn in 90% of battles is this; Champion uses Shield Wall, Confessor uses Holy Light, Conjuror summons Shadow and Warden uses Thorns.

It sets up the battlefield nicely and the auto-health regen from the Confessor is so helpful. Put 90% of your Champion's points into Endurance and give him +attention items for maximum effectiveness.

Also, I got a little lucky and recieved a wraith stone at the end of act 1, made act 2 a LOT easier after putting it in my Warden's bow.

My advice is aim for set bonuses, use your deception scrolls to bypass the particularly difficult fights (save them for last) and focus on upgrading armour in the Emporium. (Use restock for higher tiers!)

Fantastic game, I loved the first ones, this is a big improvement and still keeps the challenge level.

MetalHeart
MetalHeart
226 posts
Nomad

Ok this game is my favorite

waterzxc
waterzxc
10 posts
Nomad

ok now I have a problem. My assassin has a high health steal ability (21) and every time he attacks, he regains full health.

But I can't carry the health steal any longer because his armor is getting too weak for proper defense.

What should I do if I don't wanna sacrifice the health steal? (Note : the health steal can't be separated from armor)

AlderonArmor
AlderonArmor
210 posts
Blacksmith

ok now I have a problem. My assassin has a high health steal ability (21) and every time he attacks, he regains full health.

But I can't carry the health steal any longer because his armor is getting too weak for proper defense.

What should I do if I don't wanna sacrifice the health steal? (Note : the health steal can't be separated from armor)

Replace it. I know it can be difficult to lose that nice bonus, but trust me, higher tier gear is essential, or else you'll just be unable to take hits at higher level. Invest in the Emporium and then restock to tier 2/3 (higher if you can) and buy some new pieces.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

So I've tinkered with my parties a bit. For optimal results I reset the character data (but keep the items in the inventory).

Using the idea of having a cleric in the middle of the formation I believe I have an even more sustainable party, and one with more damage potential.

Front line: Champion, Confessor, Inquisitor.
Back Line: Warden.

The theory: the front line is filled with heavy armored members to maintain a solid defence. The Champion is a support character and draws fire with shield wall. The Confessor is the main healer, the Inquisitor kills everyone in sight, and the warden is both damage and crowd control.

fuzzycat89
fuzzycat89
2 posts
Nomad

My party relies a lot on the Warden with his two main spells as: Swiftness and Nature's Balm.

The formation is:
Front row: Warrior in the middle (the one that focuses more on tanking)
Back row: Warden, Inquisitor in the middle and Mage (the one without Time Warp).

Aside from the Inquisitor, all characters are very important.

Warden as the main healer for the tanker, and as the speed buffer for the whole party. Swiftness really increases my survival rate and DPS. Second Wind is also an awesome resurrection spell that couples with high HP regeneration rate.

The warrior for tanking and mana recovering. Most of the time I let the warrior use Push Harder to recover mana for the others or Hold The Line to increase damage protection. Only in situation when the enemies can potentially kill the backline (particularly against the vampire rogue) I'd use Shield Wall. The flag with enemy attraction is usually sufficient to help covering the back line.

The Mage is the main DPS with 3 main spells as: Mage Missles, Electrocute and Lightning Storm. Though I do use Freeze, Cold Front and Fireball in suitable situation. Mage Missles is a great spell with low cooldown and increasingly high damage. However Electrocute is necessary against enemies with high missle protection or high dodge. Lightning Storm is for a long fight when mass attacks in a turn or two yield better result than trying to hit a single enemy that can recover HP.

The Inquisitor is at the center of the party and support others with Radiance aura for HP regeneration, Anoint for damage buff, Purify to dispel debuff (especially the -quickness, -accuracy one). Retribution can be a great damage dealing spell when the Inquisitor is under great HP loss and suffer a lot of debuff though it is risky to keep HP at low value. Holy light and Litany of Pain sometimes appear to be useful, the former against undead units and the latter against back line damage dealing units (to combo with Mark of Judgement). But most of the time my inquisitor just pass his turn and do nothing because the mana cost is too high while him having low quickness. He can also serves as the alternative tanker when the warrior is down.

MTL
MTL
3 posts
Nomad

Warrior - Champion
Cleric - Confessor
Rogue - Thief
Ranger - Marksman

Cleric in middle for aura, heals group, rest do their thing :3

benchbreaker
benchbreaker
2 posts
Shepherd

get a high lvl sorcerer max int items (scryer's set is easy to get and pretty good, get all int modifiers with the gambler's dice)

low lvl cleric who is faster than sorceror with anoint.

anoint -> thunderstorm -> gg

Popish10
Popish10
8 posts
Nomad

Here's my build

Warrior= Champion
Cleric = Confessor
Mage = Sorceror
Rogue = Thief

The warrior will become the meat shield for low endurance like mage or sometimes, the thief. I give my warrior the annihilator armor and enhance it with items like Shard of Dilarea ( increase critical hit chance and critical damage ) so that he could deal massive damages if lucky. Combine the ability " Cleave " and sweeping strike. * pretty lucky when two out of three enemies receive critical damages in the front row. Although the Inquisitor will have more chance scoring critical hits due to the " zealot " fighting style.

The cleric will heal injured party members. I gave him heavy armor so he could act as a second meat shield in case my warrior was defeated. Purify is important because nasty creatures like the ghoul in chapter 3 will give your party lots of negative buffs. " Trust me, it's really hard "

The Sorcerer will be at the back row of course. Electrocute always hit and the damage will increase if the target's action clock is nearly full. Power siphon will drain mana from all the enemies and refill the sorcerer's mana gauge.

The thief played an important role on turning the tide of battle and i really liked this class because the thief has many useful skills such as Thief's luck which increase all party member's accuracy. Even the odds will remove harmful terrain modifier on your field or the enemy's field. This is very useful if bosses were placed in terrain with high ground or Cooling breeze. Shadow Shift is also a good skill that you could leave a decoy and fool the enemy to waste his/her turn on the decoy. Also a great skill for retreating to the back row.

OolonColluphid
OolonColluphid
5 posts
Nomad

oooh, this is a fun thread.

My build:
Warrior - Champion
Rogue - Assassin
Mage - Conjurer
Cleric - Confessor

The warrior is a meat shield as well as simplythere to hit enemies hard. He has a vampiric greataxe and some other vampiric items. This let's him do a lot of damage, while staying alive. This health steal works great with cleave. I generally have him use the default high damage stance.

The rogue I use often use to take out strong enemies standing in the back, considering they often have annoying powers, but less hp then the front line guys. Sneak attack works fine if there's only one. A combination of hide and sneak assault is very effective if there are several. It will take away most of their health, after which the rogue and mage can take them out. Because I've given him a lot of dex, the rogue rarely misses. When it's the front line that need to be taken out, the rogue can use cripple to pretty much deny slow guys having their turn. Otherwise, I poison the **** out of them by using the poison stance and power, combined with the venomous mace the rogue wields.

I always have the mage summon a war golem on his first turn. The golem is solid, because it hits hard, even though it doesn't get to do so often (so slow), but more important is that it draws some aggro away from the party. I may use the mage to drain power from enemies that rely heavily on their power supply. Also, I may use the time reset thing when fighting slow enemies. Otherwise, the mage is mostly just zapping enemies with his staff.

The cleric is there for healing. I usually use quick heal now, because of the high healing skill bonus that is usually enough and it allows the cleric to have a lot of turns for emergency healing or purifying. I also have him skip a lot of turns to keep his power up for this purpose. But, unless a party member really needs to be healed before the cleric's turn, I have him use his mass debuff power (dunno its name). It's a solid power that will save the party a lot of damage, especially against undead enemies.

Popish10
Popish10
8 posts
Nomad

@OolonColluphid

I have to agree that the Conjurer's skills is very useful. Especially the golem. Combine with Spell Mastery. you could spam war golems as long as you get free skill. XP

waterzxc
waterzxc
10 posts
Nomad

I just completed Act 5, the final prize is simply awesome!

I got a Tier 6 Mace with super high retaliation damage, armor-piercing and 6 strength and 6 endurance bonus

Tell me what you got ?

matacro
matacro
2 posts
Blacksmith

My build, all fighting(top line- champ ,***)

front line *** - cler - warrior
back line middle sorcerer

cler is using his healing aura(making my team invincible - i was at lvl 125 in act 4, got bored and retreated)

*** has 58% crit can kill any1 from 1 hit(even bosses)
sorcerer has 65 quickness - he can nuke all enemies twice before they even come to their turn(i clean 90% floors flawless)
and cler+war - using anhilator sets over 1300 dmg + 2500 hp

KEEP 1 char lvl 10 to restock shop ( with him it cost only 2000 gold)

with cler just pump dmg coz enemys cant kill u with his aura..

Showing 1-15 of 64