ForumsThe Tavernhomeschooling Vs private schooling Vs public schooling

38 4811
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

which do you prefer? which are/were you? me? i am homeschooled and i like it this way.
have at it!

• 38 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'll take any if the latter two instead of homeschooling. The syllabus might not be up to national standards and requirements, children might not be given Thr chance to participate in as diverse a range of external activities, and even if it's in a group, you don't have the school atmosphere of hundreds of peers.

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

They all have their benefits... public school exposes students to more diversity and to the "traditional" high school experience, private school is better for the more academically-focused students, and homeschooling is best for a completely individualized learning experience.

Of course there are downsides to all of them, and what I've said is extremely general so obviously there are plenty of exceptions! I went to a private school and I teach at a public school, so this is just the very basics of from what I've gathered over the years!

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Private schools are only good if they're need-based financial aid rewarding feeder schools to top universities. Examples: Phillips Exeter, Phillips Academy, Harvard-Westlake, The Harker School.

Then again, public schools are only good if they're nationally recognized magnet schools (e.g. Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Stuyvesant, North Carolina School of Science and Math) OR in Cupertino or Palo Alto up in Norcal (Lynbrook, Monta Vista, Palo Alto, Henry M. Gunn, Homestead.......................and throw in Mission San Jose from Fremont, too).

Otherwise, it's all irrelevant.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I've been home schooled and publicly schooled. I don't know about private schooling, but the better funded the better the teaching, most likely. Home schooling isn't bad, you just need some good resources, and you aren't being schooled all day. But the thing with public schools is that you meet people.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

home school: I only have 2 hours of school a day, and I eat whenever.

/thread

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

Iâm home schooled and I love it!

PS Iâm social so donât even start that BS with

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I was home-schooled, but after starting high school I have been going to a public school.

I like the public school better because you have more incentive to do your work, although some of the classes are stupid.

~~~Darth Caedus

ariannekic
ariannekic
14 posts
Nomad

in my country, home schooling is not very common. most children go to public schools. i studied in a private school my entire life and i have often wondered what it's like to be home schooled though.

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

private? i clicked thinking it sais &quotirate schooling" ... anyways home schooling was ok but it didnt last long private schooling seems to be for the rich only around here and public school is ok if your in isolated locations like me

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Most people have not been in all 3, so you are going to get biased answers.

I have only been in Private and Public so those are the only ones I can talk about.

Private- I liked my private school. It was good. I had to take religion classes though and go to church every Friday during school. So for that sake I didn't like it as much. Overall though it is just like normal school. Depends how big the school is but probably in general it has a little less opportunity then public school.

Public- The problem I have with public is there are more duchbags and people I don't like. I didn't really have the in private school, or at least not as much. Public schools seem to have more opportunity then private though. Also, if there is someone you don't like they are easier to avoid.

Both are good, I prefer public because of the more opportunities it gives. me.

redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

One thing that is better in homeschooling is the FOOD. In public schools, the food is always proccesesed and frozen. Like in my first year of middle school, they made things by hand. Then the next two years it was all frozen. Now they try to make it healthy but its still not that good.

But each type of schooling has its benefits. I've gone to public schools my whole life but it would be interesting to try out homeschooling.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

I go to a private school, and the food is much better than I would expect at a public school.

if there is someone you don't like they are easier to avoid.
Yup.

Oh yeah. The academic stuff is supposedly better too. Not like that's important or anything.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

I think that in Homeschooling you miss something that is more important than some people think and that are your social skills.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

And really, the issue is not much different from public school and home school, because aside from co-ops, people can be really shy and not talk to anybody or be really social and go up to random people on the street and be best friends forever, regardless of whether they go to public school or not. Public school (as far as social activity goes) teaches you how to form cliques and make enemies, if anything.

It also helps you get informed about the rest of the World and you also learn that not everybody believes in an old guy living in the sky, that they have different political beliefs based on reality as well.
And you can actually learn from others and not constantly live in a bubble.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I don't know, It just seems strange to me and I would feel isolated if I had been home schooled.
I went to public school and I didn't turn into a drug addict, an alcoholic, a rapist, or a murderer. Not everything about public school is bad either so unless someone has a serious immune disease that prevent him to have contact with other people, I don't understand the purpose of it except for a religious purpose. Anyway, if you're happy that way than that's okay I guess.

Showing 1-15 of 38