ForumsThe TavernPointless/Annoying Words/Phrases

71 10093
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I have a vendetta against certai phrases that tick the hell out of me. "No offense" is one, or "Not to sound harsh", because it only reinforces the acerbity of the incoming coming. Or the word "Seriously" being tossed around like Caesar salad until the person just sounds flippant, silly and like an airhead.

Is anyone as bothered by such words?

• 71 Replies
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Oh, another think I hate is when people say "Are you ok?" after you have injured yourself and you have screamed a curse word. By me screaming a curse word, shouldn't people already tell that I am not ok?

things like "hur dur" or "herp derp".

Oh yea, derp. I don't like this word at all. And as far as I can tell, at has no meaning either.
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Well, not to sound like a know-it-all but the exact definition of the word derp is:

A literary or spoken phrase that combines elements of "WTF" and "cool story bro". Laced with condescension "derp" is a common form of web-based libel that is almost didactic; however not quite as it is generally a sardonic gesticulation rather than moralistic chastisement. The spoken sense of the world itself conveys an intrinsic feeling of disappointment with a subtle hint of disgust and an overtone of rebuke

another definition is:

The word that describes a particularly retarded face: A retarded smile, and the eyes pointing in different directions.

Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

Well, not to sound like a know-it-all but the exact definition of the word derp is:

A literary or spoken phrase that combines elements of "WTF" and "cool story bro". Laced with condescension "derp" is a common form of web-based libel that is almost didactic; however not quite as it is generally a sardonic gesticulation rather than moralistic chastisement. The spoken sense of the world itself conveys an intrinsic feeling of disappointment with a subtle hint of disgust and an overtone of rebuke

another definition is:

The word that describes a particularly retarded face: A retarded smile, and the eyes pointing in different directions

now this is what i hate the most out of everything when people say not to sound like a know it all then say something that is. if you don't want to sound like it don't say it
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

things like "hur dur" or "herp derp".

When people make those faces while saying it. Makes them look stupid.

Also, obviously YOLO is an annoying phrase.
fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

I hate it when people say YOLO because they don't even mean it. 99.9% of the time they treat their life like trash.

Retarted is another one that drives me crazy. Reason why is that they use to use it as a scientific word for the mentally challenged but people had to change it to something bad.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

what i hate is when my friend somehow references Doctor who into every other sentence by going "AND INSIDE OF THE fill-in-the-blank THERE WAS A TARDIS!" now don't get me wrong, i like Doctor Who, but i don't need a tardis inside of every noun i hear.
why don't you give them a fez and tell them that every statue in the world is a weeping angel.

I hate it when people say YOLO because they don't even mean it. 99.9% of the time they treat their life like trash.
I have actually never heard someone say that seriously, and why don't they just say carpe diem, as it sounds cooler and less annoying.

~~~Darth Caedus
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I have actually never heard someone say that seriously, and why don't they just say carpe diem, as it sounds cooler and less annoying.

We just need some pop hip hop artist to tweet it, i.e. dumb it down.

why r u all hatin herp derp der aint nufin dat cn reeplace it! >
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

and why don't they just say carpe diem, as it sounds cooler and less annoying.

Carpe Diem - Sieze the day. Make the best out of your life. Do things you'd be proud of

YOLO - You Only Live Once. Do whatever the hell you please because..I mean come on! Why not?

We just need some pop hip hop artist to tweet it

To tweet YOLO? There was one...tweeted it while he and his friends were drunk and going about 150 mph (I believe) down a road. He died a few minutes afterwards...car accident. YOLO
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Carpe Diem - Sieze the day. Make the best out of your life. Do things you'd be proud of

YOLO - You Only Live Once. Do whatever the hell you please because..I mean come on! Why not?

I'll go with Carpe Diem. Thanks for defining it, saved me a trip to Wikipedia.

YOLO is something you say when you're going to do something stupid. (Like trying to jump over a moving car.)
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

To tweet YOLO? There was one...tweeted it while he and his friends were drunk and going about 150 mph (I believe) down a road. He died a few minutes afterwards...car accident. YOLO

Hehehe.

You can blame Drake for popularizing it. **** celebrities and their Twitter accounts.
Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

I'm hearing "swag" more and more from my students, and I just think it's the stupidest word... from what I've heard, it doesn't even mean anything! I've heard it as a noun, a verb, an adjective, an adverb, an interjection... I've even been told on multiple occasions that I have this so-called "swag"... but it's completely non-existent! Just one of those words that kids are using to stay "hip" and "fresh" or whatever slang words you kids use these days! xD

Actually, it is a real word... here is the definition...

An ornamental festoon of flowers, fruit, and greenery: "ribbon-tied swags of flowers".

It seems to me they just chose a random word out of the dictionary! The definition of a "swagman" further supports this theory...

an itinerant Australian laborer who carries his personal belongings in a bundle as he travels around in search of work.

Whaaaaaa... and this is... this is what the kids think is... cool?? =/
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

It seems to me they just chose a random word out of the dictionary!

They took it from swagger...and somehow taking the "-ger" off of it made it "cooler" or something. Instead..they make themselves look foolish

What would be funny is if one day you put the definition of swag on the board so they could all see what they are really saying when they say "swag" (maybe even just the definition and not the word...then have them guess for a bit what the word is before breaking the news)
zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Isaw this picture at Facebook, where there was a man doing hard work and a picture of Justin Bieber. It asked who's the real man. In comments people were like "Justin, that other guy doesn't have any swag."

...facepalm.

kneekap
kneekap
8 posts
Nomad

i effing hate yolo and when ppl say cool story bro

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Ah, I was reminded of another.

"Sup." Is this a question? A greeting? How can you even tell? A quick contraction of "what's up" which is ambiguous itself in whether it's asking for how you're doing or what you're doing is completely pointless.

Showing 31-45 of 71