ForumsThe TavernPointless/Annoying Words/Phrases

71 10094
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I have a vendetta against certai phrases that tick the hell out of me. "No offense" is one, or "Not to sound harsh", because it only reinforces the acerbity of the incoming coming. Or the word "Seriously" being tossed around like Caesar salad until the person just sounds flippant, silly and like an airhead.

Is anyone as bothered by such words?

• 71 Replies
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

"Sup." Is this a question? A greeting? How can you even tell? A quick contraction of "what's up" which is ambiguous itself in whether it's asking for how you're doing or what you're doing is completely pointless.

Whenever someone says "sup" to me I always have no idea how to respond. The list changes from "hey" to "sup" back to "I'm good" to multiple others, some of which I get strange stares because it would be the wrong way to respond to "sup."

I hate it when people say "like" all the time, it makes me want to ring their neck

Like is just like saying "um" or "so" except as a different filler word.

"Swag" was coined by...Jay-Z?

I want to say Soulja Boy because the first time I heard "swag" was from "Turn my Swag On."
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
991 posts
Nomad

"Sup." Is this a question? A greeting? How can you even tell? A quick contraction of "what's up" which is ambiguous itself in whether it's asking for how you're doing or what you're doing is completely pointless.

This made me laugh, I hope you're joking.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I want to say Soulja Boy because the first time I heard "swag" was from "Turn my Swag On."

No no, swag was invented long before. Somewhere around mid to late 80's.

I'm hearing "swag" more and more from my students, and I just think it's the stupidest word... from what I've heard, it doesn't even mean anything! I've heard it as a noun, a verb, an adjective, an adverb, an interjection... I've even been told on multiple occasions that I have this so-called "swag"... but it's completely non-existent! Just one of those words that kids are using to stay "hip" and "fresh" or whatever slang words you kids use these days! xD

I love Skeleton for this, but not like that. lol
skydragon720
skydragon720
343 posts
Nomad

Sup= what's up. just to let you know. xD

What would be funny is if one day you put the definition of swag on the board so they could all see what they are really saying when they say "swag" (maybe even just the definition and not the word...then have them guess for a bit what the word is before breaking the news)

Genius!!!!!!!!

superbobdabest
superbobdabest
305 posts
Nomad

YOLO when its over used
which is alot to me

fireangle
fireangle
176 posts
Nomad

What would be funny is if one day you put the definition of swag on the board so they could all see what they are really saying when they say "swag" (maybe even just the definition and not the word...then have them guess for a bit what the word is before breaking the news)

I should tell one of my teachers to do that!

The_DeVitor13
The_DeVitor13
66 posts
Nomad

"I know what you are but what am I?"

I can't stand that phrase.
there are not many situations(well from what situations iv'e been in)that have that phrase make sense

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

One word I hate is bromance. It sounds gay to me.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Bromance is meant to sound gay....

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

One word I hate is bromance. It sounds gay to me.

I don't see what's wrong with it...me and my friends have bromances all the time
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

If it's all the time, perhaps it's a little too much.....

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

If it's all the time, perhaps it's a little too much.....

I see what is going on here...you are obviously jealous because you want to have a bromance with me. Well alright then, let me go get the windowless van..
Max000_Extreme
Max000_Extreme
113 posts
Peasant

I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Kind of steering of course here guys. Not my original point of discussion anymore.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

My bad haha sorry nich

Has anyone mentioned "brah" yet?

Showing 46-60 of 71