ForumsThe TavernPointless/Annoying Words/Phrases

71 10090
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I have a vendetta against certai phrases that tick the hell out of me. "No offense" is one, or "Not to sound harsh", because it only reinforces the acerbity of the incoming coming. Or the word "Seriously" being tossed around like Caesar salad until the person just sounds flippant, silly and like an airhead.

Is anyone as bothered by such words?

• 71 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

No, but it is annoying and patronizing when someone drawls it out at you as if it makes a difference to the point he is trying to put forth.

And the word "like" being tossed around half a dozen times in a sentence.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Has anyone mentioned "brah" yet?

No, but that irritates me a ton! To me I automatically think they're calling me a bra if they say brah. Kinda weird, but yeah.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

At my work we had a server who used brah...and was dead serious when he used it -_- he even once called our salad guy "brah brah"

Now...all of us in the kitchen will randomly start using brah a lot to mock the fact that he always did it

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Any word or phrase that is used frequently enough by a person becomes pointless and nerve grating in the long run anyway.

xerox
xerox
715 posts
Bard

"Ain't nobody got time for that."

DieHardDisciple
DieHardDisciple
13 posts
Peasant

The 2 i that really annoy me are:
''You're killing me'' & ''To each his own''

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

''To each his own''

What is wrong with this one? Overuse?

One phrase I like...but I hate how people misuse it...Let bygones be bygones

How people use it - Usually in the end of a discussion as like a way of saying "to each his own"

What it means - Let what's in the past be in the past (bygone - belonging to an earlier time). Basically, don't let something that happened in the past affect the present/future
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

''You're killing me'' & ''To each his own''
You're killing me Smalls.

To each his own sounds like an ancient proverb, most phrase uttered here are only annoying if like used like repeatedly like I like am like doing like.

~~~Darth Caedus
chives1
chives1
27 posts
Peasant

Come on brahs, you're killing me! Like, I know that everyone has opinions, to each his own, but YOLO! Let bygones be bygones, because ain't nobody got time for those phrases to induce anger!

Just had to do that, as I hate most of those phrases and also people saying that they got swag, like it is a universal excuse for being worse than somebody.

Sure, I have bad grades but I also have Swag!

Of course, looking up I wikipedia I also see that it could stand for Wild-A** Scientific Guess, so I guess that in certain context I could stand it.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

This made me laugh, I hope you're joking.

I'm honestly not. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a question, a greeting, or both.

Sup= what's up. just to let you know. xD

I know. I mentioned that in my post. " A quick contraction of "what's up" which is ambiguous itself"

Any word or phrase that is used frequently enough by a person becomes pointless and nerve grating in the long run anyway.

#1 reason why we have a thesaurus. Most words that are overused though are filler words (ah, um, like, etc.) because people don't know what they want to say before they speak and stall out.
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
889 posts
Nomad

Really irritates me when people constantly say 'like'
There's this one person I know who says it once or twice every single sentence, even when it's completely unnecessary.

Showing 61-71 of 71