ForumsThe TavernPointless/Annoying Words/Phrases

71 10092
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I have a vendetta against certai phrases that tick the hell out of me. "No offense" is one, or "Not to sound harsh", because it only reinforces the acerbity of the incoming coming. Or the word "Seriously" being tossed around like Caesar salad until the person just sounds flippant, silly and like an airhead.

Is anyone as bothered by such words?

• 71 Replies
redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

I don't like it when people say "no offense". Obviously they mean offense if they say that. Even saying it, people can get mad.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

No offense is a word I think is stupid as well. In some cases could actually be a Oxymoron. And another word I think is stupid is the word "Swag" or "Swagger". Im not really sure what the translation for this word really is and it is kinda a ghetto-ish word for me.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Hearing "YOLO" wants to make me shoot myself.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

"Swag" or "Swagger"

Swagger is an actual word that has been used for decades to describe a person's fashion style, their "walk", ect. "Swag" was coined by...Jay-Z?....and has quickly deteriorated into a meaningless word that basically screams out "I am a ******bag". Another thing I can't stand is when people use text lingo to talk. The word "seriously" is ridiculous, because it's so overused that the meaning is lost. And, last but not least, when people say "crucial". I never hear that in the correct context anymore, yet people say it for every situation.

"Bro, I got a F on my test"
"****, man that's crucial"
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Ah, rant time.

"All but" is a phrase I have long had a hatred for...

"The city was all but destroyed." So it's fine right? NOPE! It's levelled. How does that even make sense? If it's all but destroyed, it's everything except destroyed. Except it's not. There's a few other contradictory terms like "quartered and drawn" or "to a man" which mean completely killed/gotten rid of instead of mostly.

AatosLiukkonen
AatosLiukkonen
66 posts
Nomad

Well, YOLO, so you might as well!

"On accident" bugs me. Nobody says "by purpose" but always "on accident!" I make sure to correct them when I can.
Blackbeltr0
Blackbeltr0
769 posts
Jester

And another word I think is stupid is the word "Swag" or "Swagger"
I AGREEEEEE

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I can't believe I didn't catch that.

[i]Hearing "YOLO" makes/b] me [b]want to shoot myself.

Well, YOLO, so you might as well!

/daymade

"Dude, did you fall?"
"No, the ground CAME UP AND HIT ME IN THE FACE!"
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

i could care less. it's a pointless statement, it means that whoever said it cares to some degree about the topic at hand when a more correct phrase would be i couldn't care less.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

"The city was all but destroyed." So it's fine right? NOPE! It's levelled. How does that even make sense? If it's all but destroyed, it's everything except destroyed. Except it's not.
i could care less. it's a pointless statement, it means that whoever said it cares to some degree about the topic at hand when a more correct phrase would be i couldn't care less.
Here I thought I was the only one. I hate both of those, because they contradict the context they are used in. Also when someone, for example, does something really good and people say that he "went the whole nine yards". No you idiots! If he only went nine yards, then he didn't get the first down, which is bad, thus, people are saying that he did a bad job. You should say, "He went the whole Ten yards.
skydragon720
skydragon720
343 posts
Nomad

So, this isnt a word but its a "fashion style" or whatever.
When people have their &quotants on the ground," they think its cool. But they are actually imitating prison inmates because they do not have belts. And which their &quotants are on the ground." They dont have belts since you cant give a prisoner a weapon.When i see this i wonder they are going to do anything with their life. You know?

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

The city was all but destroyed." So it's fine right? NOPE! It's levelled. How does that even make sense? If it's all but destroyed, it's everything except destroyed. Except it's not.
oh yeah i forgot about that one.
ent the whole nine yards". No you idiots! If he only went nine yards, then he didn't get the first down, which is bad, thus, people are saying that he did a bad job. You should say, "He went the whole Ten yards.
actually that phrase is correct, the whole nine yards is talking about how much ammo is on a belt of a machine gun that was mounted on a (certain type of, i believe) world war II airplane. the belt on the gun was nine yards long, thus goes the phrase, he went the full nine yards, because he gave it all he got, nine yards of ammo so to speak.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

sorry about the double post but i didn't read skydragon's post until i had already posted.
anyway, i hear you all the way on that one, in fact i have a picture that should make you lol

http://www.****lol.com/i/f6c9e1ed54e1503d2d63d5116a723efa.jpg

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Swagger is an actual word that has been used for decades to describe a person's fashion style, their "walk", ect. "Swag" was coined by...Jay-Z?

Fashion, Jay-Z, I now see why I hate this word.

Hearing the word "YOLO" makes me want to kill someone. Similar yet different reactions. But I can see why it makes you want to shoot yourself, thank God nobody says that around me...
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Filler bothers me when it becomes a disruptive part of one's speech patterns. Like umm.. when people don't know what to say, seriously. It's totally reflective of a person's inability to link their thoughts together into like... really coherent sentences you know?

Cliches are also denigrating.

At the end of the day, there's no need to be pedantic about certain phrases if they are used justifiably.

Showing 1-15 of 71