ForumsThe TavernPointless/Annoying Words/Phrases

71 10091
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I have a vendetta against certai phrases that tick the hell out of me. "No offense" is one, or "Not to sound harsh", because it only reinforces the acerbity of the incoming coming. Or the word "Seriously" being tossed around like Caesar salad until the person just sounds flippant, silly and like an airhead.

Is anyone as bothered by such words?

• 71 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

And another word I think is stupid is the word "Swag"

Swag - a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon.

I make sure to repeat this anytime someone says swag instead of swagger

Hearing "YOLO" wants to make me shoot myself.

YODO - You Only Die Once
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

I hate it when people say "literally" when they are exaggerating. I do not like it when people say "more or less" when they could just say "about". I hate it when people say "like" all the time, it makes me want to ring their neck. Something more off topic is when people do not look me in the eyes. That is probably the worst for me. I do not think it is a sign of respect so much as it is a sign that you are actually listening and engaging. Sometimes I just stop talking and if they are still not paying attention I walk off.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

needless to say. if it's needless to say then why say it?
LOL pang. too true

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

"cool story bro,tell it again" wanna know a fast way to make Killersup want to haunt you for the rest of eternity? say that.

Jumpper
Jumpper
196 posts
Nomad

i hate it when i say something and the person says "what" then as I almost start to explain it again then they answer its completely stupid and irrelevant!

skydragon720
skydragon720
343 posts
Nomad

"cool story bro,tell it again"

Come at me bro!

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

YODO - You Only Die Once

That's right, YOLO is wrong. You only die once, but you live every day.
ShadowArchon
ShadowArchon
154 posts
Shepherd

One of the things that annoys me the most is "are you okay?"
Example: "Are you ok?"
"Yes, I'm perfectly fine, My foot just happens to be pointing the wrong way (expletive x10 follows)

carontekai
carontekai
5 posts
Jester

I hate when people start saying "stuff" to everything. I mean...you have lots of words to describe all around you, why would you then describe everything as "stuff"? For example, "just take your stuff from there", "I have to buy some stuff", "What stuff are you about to do?". ****, I'm not an English native speaker, but please, use your vocabulary, that's not harmful at all...
And something I can't hear anymore: "I promise". Promises are always broken, if you have to promise something, then it seems like you are either not capable to keep it or that you already failed. It may sound stupid to you all, but that's my own opinion.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

actually that phrase is correct, the whole nine yards is talking about how much ammo is on a belt of a machine gun that was mounted on a (certain type of, i believe) world war II airplane. the belt on the gun was nine yards long, thus goes the phrase, he went the full nine yards, because he gave it all he got, nine yards of ammo so to speak.
Oh.
Well it's not a common fact, so I stick to my argument.
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

needless to say. if it's needless to say then why say it?

I think by that they mean the point they're going to make is so obvious or self-explanatory that it doesn't need to be said, but it's said anyway to ensure everyone's on the same page.

But I get what you mean.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

'Legitly'. My sister says it all the time. It's a word for those too lazy to say 'legitimately'.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

[quote]emperorpalpatine

Same. I also hate 'legitness' instead of 'legitamacy'

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,231 posts
Jester

what i hate is when my friend somehow references Doctor who into every other sentence by going "AND INSIDE OF THE fill-in-the-blank THERE WAS A TARDIS!" now don't get me wrong, i like Doctor Who, but i don't need a tardis inside of every noun i hear.

espadaxin2
espadaxin2
485 posts
Blacksmith

things like "hur dur" or "herp derp".

Showing 16-30 of 71