ForumsWEPRnot believing means send to hell?

154 54180
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

let us say there could be places like heaven and hell...

..what would happen with people who can not believe after they die? what happens with people who never had the chance to believe anything after they died? what happens with people who forgot that there is a god (altzheimers) or people who are mentally handicapped or people in a coma when they die?

my point is that believe can not be the only "thing" that decides wether they get into heaven or hell (if these places even exist).

just a thought i had today.

• 154 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Truth is, it should be easy for everyone to get the test right. It's just plain ethics. Do good, avoid evil.

Truth is..this "test" isn't fair either. There are many "guidelines" to follow that are downright ridiculous

1 Corinthians 10:10
Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

Hebrews 10:28-29
He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God
(so, basically..obey old testament)

I have more...but have to get off the computer

Recommended reading
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

And if you're reading the bible like I think you are, you must be wrong.

JWs, Catholics, Mormons, etc say the same thing to each other all the time. If the scriptures were perfect, there would be no interpretation issues.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Not really. The choices you take must be carried out during life.

So if w use our free will and don't do what God wants we end up in hell?

See it as you may, it's true.

Determined by what exactly?

Not really. You think he does nothing, in reality, he is allowing our decisions to go on. And there is no punishment large enough for sin.

Everything regarded as sin are finite actions. If sin is deserving of an eternal punishment that would mean God can't let anything go. Even if this God couldn't it would be pretty ridiculous not to.

Yet somehow, we did. I don't get it either, but I have faith in it.

And there in is the faulty logic. You don't get it because it makes no friggin sense. You're believing something that is ridiculous and just blindly going with it. Use that brain you think God gave you and think.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

it lacks evidence and you or god can't demand us to believe in it, aslong it doesn't give any evidence.

Except for the whole part where I'm not demanding you believe or do anything really, other than learn the capitalize a sentence.

So if w use our free will and don't do what God wants we end up in hell?

Not necessarily. Think of heaven/hell as a point system. Think of how unfair it would be if you did 1000 points of good acts, and 1000.1 points of bad acts; most churches would say "Well that sucks have fun rotting in hell forever". If God is merciful, why would he do that?

JWs, Catholics, Mormons, etc say the same thing to each other all the time. If the scriptures were perfect, there would be no interpretation issues.

Amen. And then there would be a single christian sect, not dozens.

Truth is..this "test" isn't fair either. There are many "guidelines" to follow that are downright ridiculous

1 Corinthians 10:10
Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

Hebrews 10:28-29
He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God (so, basically..obey old testament)

This example, while well quoted, has to do specifically with the Children of Israel. They had the attention span of gnats, and could follow almost no commands, so God had to get completely ridiculous with them. I think of it kind of like a discipline place or something, where privileges are revoked and the slightest degree of disobedience is severely punished, only because said folks in that area clearly can't follow normal rules so they have to be given completely ridiculous ones. The "Do or die" policy of God really tapers off in the New Testament.

Why is that? God must have created it, since he created everything. Even if it was created as an absence of good. He made sin apart of the system. For what reason would he do that?

It was more of God created everybody, and then some turned around and betrayed him thus bringing evil into the world. But even if you don't believe that, feast on this tidbit; How would we know good without knowing evil? Happiness without joy? Sorrow without gladness? You wouldn't. Without the other, the first does not exist.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Not necessarily. Think of heaven/hell as a point system. Think of how unfair it would be if you did 1000 points of good acts, and 1000.1 points of bad acts;

So I can kill someone so long as I counter that act by say saving two peoples lives? Morality isn't some sort of point system.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Except for the whole part where I'm not demanding you believe or do anything really, other than learn the capitalize a sentence.

your god demands me to believe in him or els i will be punished eternally in hell.
you are his messenger and thus you demand the same of me.

and i capitalize whatever i want.
this is the internet not a important letter.
if your getting on high heels over capitalisation then your even more pathetic then i 1st thought.

Not necessarily. Think of heaven/hell as a point system. Think of how unfair it would be if you did 1000 points of good acts, and 1000.1 points of bad acts; most churches would say "Well that sucks have fun rotting in hell forever". If God is merciful, why would he do that?

give me evidence of this point system plz.
(or any of your other claims)

Amen. And then there would be a single christian sect, not dozens.

you can't all be right. what is the evidence you have that your religion is the right one?
you were mormon right? i think that sect is even more of the hook from reality then 99% of the other christian believes.

It was more of God created everybody, and then some turned around and betrayed him thus bringing evil into the world.

so god did not create everything. others made a part aswell. so 1. he is not omnipotent and 2.he is not all knowing. (if he was all knowing he would have knowed that he was going to be betrayed by said &quoteople&quot.

How would we know good without knowing evil? Happiness without joy? Sorrow without gladness? You wouldn't. Without the other, the first does not exist.

but why would god need to have anything to do whit it?
plz. give me a link between god and this, whit supportive evidence.

oh wait, you can't you have no evidence what so ever..

So I can kill someone so long as I counter that act by say saving two peoples lives? Morality isn't some sort of point system.

putting it this way, it sounds like karma. and we all know karma doesn't exist, right?
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Only have time for a quick answer:

Okay, honestly, I don't even know how to say this without insulting you, so sorry in advance. It's stupid to believe something so wholeheartedly when you don't even understand what it's saying.

My religion is all about faith, and most religions are as well.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Yes, but you're going beyond that. You said that you believe in it even though you don't understand it. You're taking faith to another level and walking around blindly. It's one thing to claim that you trust God in what his plan is, entirely another to say you don't even know what his plan is or why he even does things and still claim to fully trust.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Yes, but you're going beyond that. You said that you believe in it even though you don't understand it. You're taking faith to another level and walking around blindly. It's one thing to claim that you trust God in what his plan is, entirely another to say you don't even know what his plan is or why he even does things and still claim to fully trust.

I understand my faith, but not even the Pope understands the dogmas of catholicism completely.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That just says to me that your religion is all about ignorance and blindly believing what you're told without any critical thought. Not a good basis to work from.

but not even the Pope understands the dogmas of catholicism completely.

[cheapjab]What Pope?[/cheapjab] :P
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

I understand my faith, but not even the Pope understands the dogmas of catholicism completely.

1 Peter 3:15 says faith should be readily justified, not blind. Saying "I'm just as unquallified to claim knowledge of God's plans/attributes/qualities/etc as everyone else, but I will anyway" does nothing to support your arguments.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

[cheapjab]What Pope?[/cheapjab] :P

D: please, do shoot me in the head

That just says to me that your religion is all about ignorance and blindly believing what you're told without any critical thought. Not a good basis to work from.

I respect your opinion

1 Peter 3:15 says faith should be readily justified, not blind. Saying "I'm just as unquallified to claim knowledge of God's plans/attributes/qualities/etc as everyone else, but I will anyway" does nothing to support your arguments.

Fascinating.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Dang, I forgot this as well.

I respect your opinion. What you don't know is that I have indeed stopped for a while and thought a bit (and by a bit I mean a lot) about where I was going and what I was doing. Hell, I was an agnostic before. As you can see, I've changed my ways of thinking.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

What you don't know is that I have indeed stopped for a while and thought a bit (and by a bit I mean a lot) about where I was going and what I was doing. Hell, I was an agnostic before. As you can see, I've changed my ways of thinking.

Yet you believe based on no evidence. Since there is no evidence I don't see how you could have possibly used any sort of critical thinking on the matter and come to the conclusion of using faith as a metric.

Without evidence &quotroof" there is no difference between believing what your religion says and believing those emails saying some guy in Zimbabwe wants to give you his millions.
OperationNilo
OperationNilo
3,937 posts
Shepherd

Yet you believe based on no evidence. Since there is no evidence I don't see how you could have possibly used any sort of critical thinking on the matter and come to the conclusion of using faith as a metric.

Last time I checked, faith needed no evidence. At least I don't, because the only evidence is what good there is in people that makes you say 'wow'. That is proof enough for me.

Without evidence &quotroof" there is no difference between believing what your religion says and believing those emails saying some guy in Zimbabwe wants to give you his millions.

You mean that you want proof that God exists?
Showing 106-120 of 154