ForumsForum GamesCount to 100: Mods Allowed To Count

78431 47048338
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

The original "This Thread is Currently About" is back! Yes, it's Count to 100!

HOW TO PLAY

1. Count by ones from 1 to 100 in 100 consecutive posts according to the Core Rules.
2. Restart the count from 1 after:
a. a Moderator (or an Administrator) makes a stopping post (post without counting) if users and Knights are counting..
b. a user or Knight or Warden makes a stopping post (post without counting) if Moderators and Administrators are counting.
c. breaking a core rule, spamming, or cheating.
d. reaching 100.
3. Announce why you restart the count so other counters don't get confused.
NOTE: For the time being, Moderators are allowed to help Users count, so as long as the other rules are observed you do not need to restart the count if you see a mod count. However, if a Moderator makes a stopping post, i.e. a post without counting (not the same as a non-count post since they're technically different teams), it is considered an interruption and the count will restart.

CORE RULES

No mistakes. A count must start from 1 and increase by ones up to 100, save for exceptions noted.
No double-counting. No counter may count two consecutive numbers.
No back-to-back counting. No two counters may alternate for more than three consecutive numbers.
Okay: P1 P2 P1 P3
Not Okay: P1 P2 P1 P2
Okay: P1 P2 reset P1 P2
No editing. No counter may edit their post. If an edit tag shows on a count, the attempt is forfeit.

ADDiTiONAL RULES

No "spamming". Please don't post only the number and please don't post gibberish, either.
Multiple one- or two-word counts may also disqualify a count.
No "cheating". This shouldn't need to be said. Counting to 100 doesn't count if you cheat.
This is an exercise in teamwork, not rule bending.
No "spoiling". Don't mess with the count. Posts should start with the correct number.
Posts with no numbers should be ignored. See also: No non-counts.
Posts with intentional mistakes should be ignored.
No "spilping". If this is your first post in this thread, please post "I'm new and here to count to 100!"
No non-counts. No counter may post without a counting number or make a post without bolding that number if that counting number is not at the start of the post.

COMPLETE SET OF RULES
Please refer to the complete set of rules for additional information and examples of what is valid or invalid.
DiSCUSSiON THREAD
Please also check out the discussion thread for new gameplay or rule proposals or general discussion on the gameplay and rules of "Count to 100".

END GAME

Once you reach 100, you start this Sisyphean task all over again back at 1. Users should notify the Commissioner of the Count (HahiHa) that the count reached 100 and the Commissioner will review it to make sure there were no mistakes or cheating. If there were no mistakes or cheating, then the users who took part in the successful count to 100 will get a shiny new Quest!

SCOREBOARD

bold = counted 100, italics = previous winning participant, [#] = # of total wins, (#) = # of times counted 100
FULL SCOREBOARD

MODS - 2 WINS
Highest Count: 15!
1. 9! - 3865 (2533) pages / 286 days, Feb 13, '15 at 5:49pm, 3 users, 6 minutes.
Gantic, Ferret, weirdlike
Note: Earned by handicap.

2. 14! - 2135 pages / 937 days, Sep 08, '17 at 1:25pm, 3 users, 6 mins.
Moegreche, nichodemus, UnleashedUponMankind
Note: Earned by handicap.

USERS - 51 WINS
1. 100! - 537 (355) pages / 94 days, Aug 6, '14 at 9:28pm, 16 users, 14 hrs 33 mins.
apldeap123, Azywng, Crickster, Chryosten (as Darkfire45), Darktroop07, evilsweetblock, JACKinbigletters, kalkanadam, Loop_Stratos, MPH_Complexity, Omegap12, Patrick2011, R2D21999, Snag618, Tactical_Fish, Voyage2

LAST TWO WINS

50. 100! - February 12, '24, 11 users, 52 days.
sciller45 (5)[17], HalRazor [5], saint_of_gaming [5], JimSlaps (1)[2], TheMostManlyMan (1)[14], Solas128 [3], nichodemus (2)[9], Widestsinger [5], SirLegendary (2)[22], skater_kid_who_pwns, disastermaster30 (3)[5]

51. 100! - March 17, '24, 11 users, 35 days.
JimSlaps (1)[3], sciller45 (5)[18], saint_of_gaming [6], TheMostManlyMan (1)[15], Strop, skater_kid_who_pwns [2], GhostOfMatrix [4], WidestSinger (1)[6], HalRazor [6], SirLegendary (2)[23], Solas128 [4]

• 78,431 Replies
PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

24. *BAM!* I knew you’d say it :-P I meant there should be a way to extract exact sounds. Of course you could be right in the case of written words, that’s what we can copy with voice - but you started with "in head"! Ha! Originally it was "what's music for eyes" we shouldn't sing out loud in my reasoning :-P But after that any technology taking part instead of vocal chords also breaks that rule. But in your meaning that's correct, we see written music and try to copy it. Anyway we can't play with a sheet of paper no matter what, unlogical, my bad. Scan your sheet music and then play with software = read, transfer and play. Music for eyes is a lie! >< Other thing if we could see sound waves.

I've just listened to mp3 into MIDI conversion of Staying Alive, it was brilliant xD

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

26. Actually any visualisation of sound is literally music for eyes, like soundwave images. Or the dancing shapes built in some music players.

I was wondering, do you also have a native (naffing) disco? Here Disco Polo is a plague. Veery popular and veeery shoddy. And it is considered as modern music not like generic disco from 70s.

sciller45
sciller45
2,856 posts
Justiciar

27. Hmm. Music for eyes. But sheet music couldn't possibly convey anything to a person who's always been deaf, so maybe I've been looking at it wrong. So music would be a bunch of frequencies of sound which both sound well together and fit the whole piece. And there is a thing which can fit that description when it comes to visuals. Art.

So, art is music for eyes(?)

Also, Disco Polo sounds like background music from a how to video from 2011. Complete with notepad text, unregistered hypercam and highlighting the cursor when clicking something. Seriously, why did anyone use that kind of stuff for background music. That's a horrible idea.
And, AFAIK here most people listen to turbofolk, which is kinda close to disco but not close enough to be a variant of disco.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

29. Well said. I'd only add "visual art". I use a definition that music like any other kind of performing and literature belongs to the arts.

Mmm... music. We should be thankful to our predecessors for subduing sounds of the universe by inventing instruments and rules. Therefore we should burn Disco Polo! Ekhm... I mean we should continue their legacy and thrive while enjoying good games with good music. Now excuse-moi, Ima check if turbofolk fits for Bastion's background, folks.

BTW I'm not deaf and sheet music doesn't convey much to me. I learned playing guitar from tabs. I bet there are ways around notes for all instruments but vocal cords.

sciller45
sciller45
2,856 posts
Justiciar

30. Nah. However, if you want to play a video game with Turbofolk in the background, I'd recommend blasting "Mauzer" by Garda Panteri at full volume whilst playing This war of mine (Ayy it's Polish!). It only fits.

Also, if you know any Bosniaks, you should really let them listen to the song, too. Especially if they were born earlier than the 90's.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although, seriously?

I bet there are ways around notes for all instruments but vocal cords.

Have you ever heard of the magnificent JS Bach? Just go ahead and try to learn one of his pieces without notes. I dare you.

I mean, you can do that, but it would be harder than just printing yourself out some sheet music.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

I mean, you can do that, but it would be harder than just printing yourself out some sheet music.

I saw there are piano and chord tabs but IDK how do they compare. I think I’d learn sheet music too if I were to play the piano. Guitar is harder to learn and because of 6 strings, notes create much confusion for beginners, so I stayed with tabs and learning tempo from hearing. And I hadn’t been kept in a fallout shelter for my whole life, so of course I heard about Bach xD

@sciller45 Can you read sheet music that you see for the first time in your life of a song that you’ve never heard? At least as singing or humming, cause I guess for remembering the exact sounds of instruments that would require a perfect pitch and much experience (obviously without playing an instrument ATM to recall sounds and compare frequencies). And still a higher difficulty for chords performed by choirs or instruments. Just coming back to this after I had blown up my reasoning with a science-fiction line right from To The Moon: “memory audio to mp8 conversion” :-P
That game just landed on my list, looks great! Although, I was kinda disappointed that they made it rogue-like. But it got very high marks so I’ll check demo.
So Labor Day was now in USA. We celebrate it on the May Day.

sciller45
sciller45
2,856 posts
Justiciar

33. Well, yeah. Sheet music's pretty much useless without playing an instrument (if we count vocals as instruments), though. What do you mean by reading sheet music, anyway? Is it just being able to understand which note is which. Or do you mean like reading words, when I could, from a few goes, sing a whole song fairly well?

Also, lovely fact, school is here again and I still don't know how to talk to people offline.
Well, not that I know how to talk to people online either, but...

sciller45
sciller45
2,856 posts
Justiciar

35. Ey! Great to see you again! Ah, whoops. 1

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

The second proposition, Sciller, because as you said in the beginning…

Isn't that just reading sheet music? And while you're reading it, singing it in your head?

And then:
No you're not. You're playing recording stored on the sheet music.

Have you been attending singing classes? For me that’s something abstract to sing only from sheet music (no instrument, no listening before). Good that for singing all we need is to hear a song a few times and after that seeing the lyrics is enough. Well almost… a certain amount of booze is of service to activate Drunken Karaoke Master skill. Vocal cords are kinda wind instruments, ain't they? xD

@funguy161 Welcome back. We still can't make any edits :-/

sciller45
sciller45
2,856 posts
Justiciar

4. Oh, right, I see.

Yeah, we have official music school here. We have 6 years of primary school (basic theory, choir and an instrument) and then 4 years of music high school (Theory, Harmony, music history... With choir and an instrument). And yeah, when I signed up for the high school, we were given these little strips of paper with sheet music and had to sing in front of the commission.

Well, maybe not Drunken karaoke master skill, but definitely Drunken karaoke skill XP

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

7. Funguy, no probs. It's like riding a bike, you never forget! Oh... you forgot some.
@sciller45 Plz, don't be noob. XP you get from karaoking when boozed not from boozing, duh? Grind some levels or find a better sensei.

sciller45
sciller45
2,856 posts
Justiciar

8. Personally, I don't like booze. Sure, it adds to Charisma and strength, but takes away lots of agility and accuracy. It also makes every enemy look much easier to kill, and I wake up in a ditch. I really don't feel like grinding XP for something that'll just give me the hangover effect next day.

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

9. Hold on... you wake up in a ditch after nights full of karaoke duels?!? Ekhm... My greatest apologies. My first impression was mostly incorrect. You wear signs of a true Drunken Karaoke Master. Please, accept this potent wobbly pop by way of an apology. Brewmeister special, just for the fighters! *you received a bottle of beer. The label reads "Snake Venom"*

PLGuy
PLGuy
4,755 posts
King

11. NANI??? *_* You just wasted nectar of the gods... Ah no matter, I've got somethin' even better here ^^ *sciller45 received a green half-liter bottle. The label reads "Absinthe"* Now no more of that sober prattle! C'mon, you have to remember good ol' days... But not mornings! Better obliviate the mornings.

sciller45
sciller45
2,856 posts
Justiciar

13. Sorry, started playing one Eastern Europe servers. Turns out, it's mostly weird young men in Adidas tracksuits constantly squatting and trying to get me to sing, and if I decide it's enough, they beat the s*** out of me. With drunkedness, they always look level 14 ("Only dangerous in groups&quot, but actually, they're level 20-something.
Seriously, though. I've had two close calls with older guys at my school trying to get me to sing. School barely started, give me a break!

Although, maybe I should get back in the game. I mean, I do need charisma

Ho. ho. ho! Wait a minute! I'm not falling for that! I think I'll get this bottle tested... If there's any poison in there, my tongue will find out...

Showing 72436-72450 of 78431