ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121753
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I hate you both.

Speaking of Soul Eater, I have finished the spin-off and prequel, Soul Eater Not! It seems that most of the hate towards this show is because Soul Eater Not!, is nothing like it's predecessor. However people do not seem to understand that it's not supposed to be anything like Soul Eater. It even tells you that in the freaking title. So instead of judging what it is not, I'm going to be judging for what it is.

Anyway, I somewhat liked this show. Was it as much fun as Soul Eater? Of course Not! Did I like it because it's an ecchi and the multiple yuri moments? Of course Not! What made me like this show is because it mixed a slice of life with action. I also liked seeing the characters from the original Soul Eater.

Here's the story that's going down. A girl named Tsugumi(had to check several times to make sure I spelled that correctly.) randomly discovers she's a weapon after she trips because her leg suddenly turned into a blade. Because of this, she decides to leave her home in Japan and move to Death City to the school there and try to find herself a meister. As all freshman, she must first go into the NOT class, which is the beginning class for all weapons and meisters. There she meets two other girls looking to become meisters, Meme and Anya. Tsugami then becomes friends with them, however she can not decide which one of them should be her meister. Causing a sort of love triangle.

The characters were done very well as the most important aspect here seems to be the characters. We have Tsugami, the new girl who's a bit shy at first but has a strong will. She also feels that her chest is inferior when compared to other girls. There's Meme, one of the best friends of Tsugami, a girl who seems to forget things constantly, and she can fight and climb into Tsugami's bed all while she's asleep. And then there's Anya, my least favorite character, who is a secret princess who has gone through lots of training from hand-to-hand combat to spears.

If you're wondering what characters from Soul Eater are in this one, they are the following: Maka, Soul, Black Star(He's not in many episodes but you can see him in the opening if you look close enough), Tsubaki, Death the Kid(same thing with Black Star), Liz, Patty(before they joined Kid), Sid(before he was a zombie), Stein(all four of these characters, including Liz and Patty, had bigger roles out of the rest of the returning characters.), and there was also mention of Nurse Medusa in the first episode.

The art is more... shiny I guess. It looks well done. Although the old characters look kind of weird to me.

Here's Maka in Soul Eater: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrNzAX9-YHf4KK1anbup6O6_001wqrGmsrWWyxUzFDXeCaII9DcBeHmA

Here's Maka in Soul Eater Not!: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvBjIx4He3aSvMnEx0DCHkeBaLuCdfk5SyA6-2lhnHmQVGAl5O4kvl1uWi

Yeah. It was strange for me as well.

The opening and closing were cute I guess, not exactly my style but it was bearable. Had no problem with the voices, although Black Star's voice sounded a bit different. Not sure if they used a different VA or what.

So yeah, Soul Eater Not! Is mostly a slice of life story with a lot of yuri moments. Besides the ecchi moments(and there's a lot of them) the show did a good job.

Now count how many times I've said not.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

I hate you both

You hate me for that but Hughes daughter asking why they're burying daddy didn't even get a reaction? That's it, I'm putting up the Excalibur song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuhc8RROw10

Including its use in the show's title you said "not" 15 times, excluding the title it's only 12.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

ive been looking for animes like higurashi no naku koro ni or umineko no naku koro ni.

i met school days... dont watch this... you eventually end up hating all the characters and only the ending is actually good.

i havnt read (and not going to) read the visual novel but i guess its better. still... if theres anything good about this show (visual novel) its the bad endings.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

You hate me for that but Hughes daughter asking why they're burying daddy didn't even get a reaction?

Oh. I didn't? Wow that's so out of character for me. I hate you for that too then.

school days

I already know it's supposed to be really bad, but I plan on watching it just to see how long I'll last. I'm guessing 3 episodes at least.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

I already know it's supposed to be really bad, but I plan on watching it just to see how long I'll last. I'm guessing 3 episodes at least.

actualy, the begining isnt that bad. its slow, but many animes are. but the characters (espacially the main) eventually just do stupid stuff that makes you hate them. thats when your probably gonna hate everybody and wonder why you are still watching the show if all it does is annoy you and wonder whats wrong with everybody.

TheAngelOfWar
TheAngelOfWar
206 posts
Nomad

Yeah! Guilty as charged. Anyways, my favorite anime character is Arthuria Pendragon (aka sabre).

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I got around to watching the Jupiter Jazz episodes of Cowboy Bebop. (Yes, I know I'm slow.) They're the best episodes of the series so far. Absolutely phenomenal.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,780 posts
Chamberlain

Finished Hetalia, my 20th anime. It started out really, really funny in part 1, Axis Powers. The first half of part 2, World Series was pretty funny, but not nearly as funny and the second half was rather stupid with the occasional funny moment. Part 3, The Beautiful World, wasn't as stupid as the second half of part 2, but it wasn't very funny at all. It's a shame really, it started out really great and slowly went further and further down in quality.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Finished Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood just now and I have to say, I'm quite impressed with it. It seems to do better than the first FMA in most aspects, especially with the ending.

I will say though, that episodes 2 through about 10 are rushed versions of a majority of episodes in FMA. So I wasn't a big fan of those.

The spoiler-free version is mostly the same, Ed and Al must search for a Philosopher's Stone in order to get their bodies back. However, unlike the original, the story is mostly different as FMA:B goes more along the lines of the humunculus and their creator instead of just focusing on the Philosopher's Stone the entire time, like the original. FMA:B also featured people from other countries with their own problems(The whole thing with Xing could be a whole show all on it's own.).

Unfortunately one of my favorite characters *cough* spoilers Hughes *cough* from the original, died really early and because of the rushed episodes, we didn't really get to see much of him. Fortunately Lin Yao felt like the perfect replacement for him, Lin was definitely my favorite character especially with that whole Greed thing.

Art style isn't really different so nothing to say here.

The openings in FMA:B were definitely much better than FMA's. In FMA I liked only one opening, but in FMA:B I pretty much liked them all.

So yeah, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood definitely surpassed Fullmetal Alchemist. It was pretty good.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

3 episodes into the summer season and it looks like there won't be anything new popping up, so here's the shows I'm watching. There's 5 new shows I'm watching, with 4 that are continuing without a season finale. Most of the new shows I'm not watching are either harem/fanservice or slice of life series.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu: The english translation is something along the lines of "The Girl with a machine gun". It follows a young girl who is frequently mistaken for a guy. She is also abnormally strong and fast, and has decided to dedicate that power to fighting evil. After a friend lies to her about how they lost their money, she tears up a host club (a place where attractive young men act as "hosts" for women) trying to get her friends money back. The man she was attacking is obsessed with survival games (paintball with pellet guns that look like real weapons) and he uses the debt she built up destroying the club as a means of blackmailing her into joining his survival games team. But, there's a problem. He thinks she's a boy and he refuses to allow girls on his team, so she can't reveal the truth to him. A decent series that looks to be heading towards some enjoyable action in the next few episodes.

Charlotte: This series is about teens that develop super powers. The main character can enter other peoples' bodies, but only for 5 seconds and his own body becomes unconscious while he's in someone else. After abusing this power he is approached by other people with powers that have their own extreme limitations and he's forced to join them in protecting those with powers from a government that apparently has no problem treating humans with powers as "batteries that can simply be replaced once they stop working". There's not much action and most of the comedy comes from the way the powers in the show are limited. For example, one of the main characters can "teleport" but it's really just a high speed jump in one direction that he can't stop without hitting something. Not a great series, but it's not horrible either.

Gate: A mysterious building appears in Japan and turns out to be a gateway to a fantasy world which attempts to invade Earth. After easily killing the invading forces, Japan sends its Special Defense Force in to take control of the new world. The show follows a member of the Special Defense Force who is an unashamed otaku that is thrilled at the idea of meeting various inhuman women in the new world but hates not being around to buy all the new releases of his favorite series. The animation is pretty good, although there are a few moments where creatures move in strange ways, and the idea of two different worlds clashing is a lot of fun. It's definitely worth watching despite some fanservice moments and a harem subplot.

Rokka no Yuusha: Or, The Braves of the Six Flowers, is a fairly typical fantasy shonen. The goofy, courageous, and kind to a fault protagonist is determined to prove he is the best by going up against an ultimate evil. The title and backstory of the show is that on a small peninsula lives a demon god that no one has been able to destroy. It was able to run rampant until a Saint (in the show, Saints are gifted with the power of a god and are always women) appeared carrying a flower, she was able to push back the demon gods forces and seal him away temporarily. Once every few hundred years the demon god awakens and six warriors are marked with a flower symbol that identifies them as the heroes who will fight the demon god. It's kind of a slow series, and not very original, but it's still enjoyable to watch.

Ushio and Tora: A boy who was raised in a temple dedicated to a spear that kills evil accidentally releases a monster named Tora when he opens a door to the temple's basement. In doing so he also received the spear that trapped Tora there and now the two of them fight monsters and demons together while Tora waits for his opportunity to eat Ushio. It's new, it's not fanservice, and it's not really boring. I mostly just watch it to kill time during the day.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

If all of you hadn't noticed, I watch mostly action anime. So I decided to step out of my usual genre and watch a pure Slice of Life anime. The show I did this with was Non Non Byori and in my opinion, it was a great beginning of the genre.

This isn't an anime where you should expect plot twists and the sort. The story follows the country life of four girls of different ages, in the same class. That's it. Does that mean it's bad? Absolutely not. This anime is there to relax the audience and it does that job well. Most episodes do contain a few stories, but ultimately the stories don't build up into anything serious.

As I said, the characters are based on 4 girls. The first, and in my opinion, the main character, is Hotaru, a new 5th grade girl from the city of Tokyo who moved to the country because of her father's work or something of that sort. She also has a crush on one of the other main characters, Komari, although nobody realizes it.

Since I already mentioned her, I'll talk about Komari, the oldest of the bunch(I think she's in 9th grade). She's a person who tries to act like a grown-up, but because of how small she is, Komari is very self-conscious about her height.

Then there's Komari's younger sister, Natsumi. I'd say that she is the @StormWalker of the bunch. Natsumi is very lazy when it comes to working on anything and she constantly seems to get in trouble, mostly by her own mother.

And then there's the 1st grader, Renge. Renge is a very interesting child and her facial expressions are just wonderful. Honestly, she is probably my favorite character. Her voice actor also did a really good job with her.

The art was simply amazing. The shading and lighting were just gorgeous and that color palette was fresh and bright. Honestly I could talk all about the art but that's kind of boring.

The musical score was also great, the opening and ending songs fit the style of of the show perfectly. Though I never really complain about the music of an anime because I don't pay much attention.

If you like a good Slice of Life or are looking into trying out the genre, check out Non Non Byori. I had a really great time with it.

The second season, Non Non Byori Repeat is also currently airing.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,780 posts
Chamberlain

I watched Laputa: Castle in the Sky the other day. I thought it was alright at first, wasn't really digging it too much, but the last 45 minutes or so really captured my imagination. It's one of those things that I liked while watching, but the more I think about it the more I love it!

Moving away from the story a bit, my biggest problem with it was the animation. The backdrop was fine, but the characters all looked like they were from cartoons. The strongest point would definitely have to be the music, very atmospheric and a perfect 10/10. I ended up watching the dub because I was lazy, it had Mark Hamill, who isn't exactly a nobody, I didn't like the little bit of the sub VA that I heard and because while Mark Hamill as Patsu did sound a bit weird, it fit the cartoonish character animations pretty well.

I'll watch Howl's Moving Castle soon, and then I'll *re*watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Finally finished Darker than Black and I'll be truthful, it was kind of meh. I wasn't a very big fan of the whole two part thing they were doing throughout the whole show. In my opinion they should have just stuck with the whole gate thing instead of showing characters that we'll never see again.

Now that I got that out of the way here's the story thingy. In Tokyo, a field called Hell's Gate appeared about 10 years ago. At the same time Contractors started to appear. Contractors people who have entered a contract in which they gain powers but each time they use their powers, they must giveback wether it's breaking your own fingers, writing poems, kissing, whatever has been decided. Contractors also appear to have no feelings and seem to exist only to kill others, because of that, the human government and Contractors seem to be on shaky ground. Hei is our main protagonist and he's one of the most powerful of the Contractors. The story follows him and his little group.

On characters there's not much to talk about, since most of the main characters are Contractors and seem to possess no emotions. Although some of them seem to break this rule. *cough* Mao *cough* So there's not much in terms of character. Although we did get some back story on some characters which was nice.

Music was nice, however I never got to see the opening and closing because for some reason the videos I used decided not to show them. So I never really heard either of those things.

Art and animation were also nice. The powers were especially nice looking.

So Darker than Black was a pretty alright show. Will I forget it in about a week? Probably. But who knows, you might like it.

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

These are some of the best anime I've ever seen:

Mononoke (the anime series, not the movie)
Kino's Journey
Akira
Magnetic Rose (a segment in the movie Memories)
Mushishi

Most of these are little-known, but they're all amazing.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Mononoke (the anime series, not the movie)

You seem to have that backwards. What could possibly be so great about this series I'd never heard of, until a thread about it was made here, that it tops one of the best works of Miyazaki?

Mushishi

I've seen this one. It's pretty good, but largely forgettable. I had to look it up to remember the plot when I saw the name here.

Showing 241-255 of 333