ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121603
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

"You seem to have that backwards. What could possibly be so great about this series I'd never heard of, until a thread about it was made here, that it tops one of the best works of Miyazaki?"

I forgot to add the movie :P But such ignorance is intolerably profound. WATCH MONONOKE!

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,778 posts
Chamberlain

I watched Howl's Moving Castle, it was alright, but not all that great. The biggest problem is that nothing about the story really got explained. It just sort of 'and then this happens which resolves the whole situation because reasons' and it never really explained why certain things had certain consequences.

I watched it dubbed, voice acting was great, Christian Bale did an excellent job as Howl. Art style was good, as always and the music was....Forgettable.

I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for the fourth time, dubbed this time, and it is still completely fantastic in every conceivable way. I watched the dub because there were a couple lines that I had a hard time trying to understand in the sub and because I was feeling too lazy to read. I had seen a tiny bit of the dub before and thought it was pretty bad but actually sitting down and watching it it wasn't half bad at all. If it was bad I would have switched to sub in a heartbeat. All that being said, I do actually much prefer the voice acting for the sub, which is unusual for me. So the next time I watch it *and I will watch it many more times* it'll be sub.

Now I'm really not sure what to watch. I'm going to continue my rewatching of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood but for once I really don't know what I'm going to watch next.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

I watched Howl's Moving Castle, it was alright, but not all that great. The biggest problem is that nothing about the story really got explained. It just sort of 'and then this happens which resolves the whole situation because reasons' and it never really explained why certain things had certain consequences.

hmmm? what wasnt answered? im pretty sure everything was explained in the end.

and i have to say, i dont understand why people love mononoke (movie) so much. everybody always mentions it which got me really excited to finally watch that movie that everybody says is the best anime movie and i was really disapointed.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

and i have to say, i dont understand why people love mononoke (movie) so much. everybody always mentions it which got me really excited to finally watch that movie that everybody says is the best anime movie and i was really disapointed.

The beautiful animation, the classic story of progress vs preserving nature, the personal struggle against hatred of the protagonist, and the truly unique visuals all come to mind as good reasons to love the movie. I can understand if it didn't quite live up to the hype of "best anime movie", but you should still be able to see that it's an excellent movie.

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

I watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for the fourth time, dubbed this time, and it is still completely fantastic in every conceivable way.

It wasn't that great. You could watch Mononoke, though. Fricking amazing.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

My lord I took a big break while watching this, but I eventually finished Kyoukai no Kanta, or in English, Beyond the Boundary. KnK was a fantastic show for me. A mix of comedy and drama(danger drama, not highschool drama)... it's just so good. I can't really find anything wrong with it, besides the ending which made me feel like punching blood chick until she died.

On that violent note, let me begin by regaling you all with a story. There was once a world, exactly like ours, but the only difference is that some of the humans have powers and they fight creatures called youmus. That makes this a sort of exterminator vs rabid mongoose type of thing... or like Madoka Magica, whichever you prefer. Anyways, Akihito Kanbara is a highschool sophomore and a rare breed, as he is immortal, part human and part youmu. One fateful day he sees Mirai Kuriyama, a girl with the rare ability to manipulate her blood and their adventure begins there.

The characters are well done and pretty unique. However I'll just cover the main four characters. We have Akihito, the immortal and highschool sophomore with a fetish for girls in glasses. Mirai, the highschool freshman with the rare ability to manipulate blood and because of her ability, she feels very isolated. She also wears glasses in which yes, Mirai is Akihito's fetish victim. Then there's Hiromi and Mitsuki Nase of the powerful Nase family. Hiromi is the older brother of Mitsuki and is usually very calm, except when it comes to his younger sister, who he seems to love very much. And of course, the verbally abusive Mitsuki, who resents her brother's love and hates being the one in the family who just stays at home instead of going out and fighting.

Art is very bright and colorful, the power look awesome, especially that blood manipulation. Animation is also very clean and smooth.

The opening and closing songs were very nicely done, and of course, I didn't really pay attention to the music in the show. Also that song on I think episode 6 was very nice.

I would definitely recommend you all to at least check out KnK. I definitely liked it but it might be different for the rest of you.

I think I've seen too many good anime recently. Time to watch School Days.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I watched The Castle of Cagliostro, the first feature film directed by Hayao Miyazaki. It was a lot of fun. It's about a group of misfit thieves led by the oddball Wolf trying to rescue a princess held captive by the criminal mastermind Count of Cagliostro. It's an excellent action comedy with both action and comedy in spades. It also displays the first glimpses of the beautiful design and cinematography which will make Miyazaki famous.

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

It wasn't that great. You could watch Mononoke, though. Fricking amazing.

See, now I know you're overhyping the series. I hate romace films and even I rate The Girl Who Leapt Through Time as a perfect 10/10. The film is perfectly done in every way, it's an objectively great film.

I just finished Silver Spoon. It's an alright series, if it fits your humor it can be downright hilarious but not for me. This slice of life series follows Hachiken, a boy who ran away from his overly demanding father by enrolling in an agricultural high school. The series mainly focuses on the "comedy" of someone unaccustomed to farm life learning about it first-hand at school, but isn't afraid to hit hard with emotional moments as Hachiken grows through the series. The first episode is pretty much just him spending almost a week trying to work up the nerve to eat an egg after learning what a cloaca is. If that's the kind of thing you might find funny, you'll probably love Silver Spoon. Otherwise, it picks up around episode 6 and can still manage to get a few good laughs if you're interested in something more drama oriented than comedic.

And, at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've also been giving Highschool DxD a try since it seems popular. The reason for that popularity can be summed up with one word. Fanservice. About half of every episode is spent with the protagonist drooling over the naked bodies of his classmates (girls that are clearly only about 14-16 years old) and no attempt is made to make him mature as the series goes on. I've managed to complete one season, and so far he's turned his perversion into a superpower by developing a magic spell that rips off girls' clothing. With a complete second season to go, as well as a third season that's either in progress or recently finished, I doubt I'll continue watching this garbage. It's not funny, the villains are 1 dimensional, it doesn't have enough fighting to be a proper action series, and the music is completely forgettable. The only upside is that the animation is good, but that is probably just so they can show underage boob in the highest definition possible.

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

See, now I know you're overhyping the series. I hate romace films and even I rate The Girl Who Leapt Through Time as a perfect 10/10.

Romance? There's no romance in Mononoke.

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

See, now I know you're overhyping the series. I hate romace films and even I rate The Girl Who Leapt Through Time as a perfect 10/10.

Also, have you even seen an episode of Mononoke? Do you even know what it's about?

Ishtaron
Ishtaron
359 posts
Blacksmith

Romance? There's no romance in Mononoke.

You want to try again there? You don't seem to have actually read what I wrote. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a romance, and despite its genre I still think it's great.

Also, have you even seen an episode of Mononoke? Do you even know what it's about?

No. I haven't gotten to it yet. I will eventually, but there's no way it can live up to how much hype you've been pumping out. No series, no matter how good, can outperform both The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke. It's simply not possible. It's like asking a beta fish to fight off both a shark and a baracuda.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

It's simply not possible. It's like asking a beta fish to fight off both a shark and a barracuda.

Ninja shark and space barracuda, With lasers. The art style is like anime meets ukiyo-e. Very odd.

The YouTube channel I was watching Cowboy Bebop on was taken down for multiple counts of copyright infringement, so that's on hold until I scrape together the cash to buy the DVD. Also I reached episode 17 of Fullmetal Alchemist. I keep forgetting to watch it. :P

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

No series, no matter how good, can outperform both The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke. It's simply not possible. It's like asking a beta fish to fight off both a shark and a baracuda.

I never said the series was better than the movie. In fact, I even said I forgot to add the movie to my list. I just prefer Mononoke myself. It has 13 episodes, so you can watch it quickly.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

You know, the one thing School Days is useful for, is brute strength. While watching this, you will feel like opening multiple pickle jars and more as this anime will tick you off more than any other.

So boy meets girl 1, girl 2 helps boy get girl 1, boy gets girl 1, boy decides to cheat and then have sex with girl 2, lots of sex and stupid choices so skip to the last episode, nice boat. I just saved you from wasting 6 hours of your life.

The show is nothing more than a love triangle with lots of sex and anger. I mean the show could have done without the multitudes of sex going around. Seriously the entirety of episode 4 was about the Main character touching his girlfriend's boobs. I don't want to watch that. I want to watch something other than that.

So let's get to the characters... oh boy... the first one of course is the number 1 winner of the biggest ****** bag award, Itou Makoto. This guy, this piece of crap makes me want to throw a table at him. He treats girls like they're sex objects and changes his feelings constantly. Who the heck do you really love?!

I don't really want to talk about the other two girls, mostly because I had to type this review thing three times, but also because they're kind of eh.

Art was also skin crawlingly bad. Just so very bad. Nothing more to say.

Opening was alright, endings I just skipped, music I didn't really listen to, and voices were mostly ok.

So if you love getting mad, School Days is the show for you. If not, never watch it. For your own sake.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

The YouTube channel I was watching Cowboy Bebop on was taken down for multiple counts of copyright infringement, so that's on hold until I scrape together the cash to buy the DVD.

Just watch it on Anime Ultima or any other anime site.

Showing 256-270 of 333