ForumsPopular MediaAny anime fans around here? XD

333 121306
elshobokshy
elshobokshy
159 posts
Nomad

Hey you! *offers two cookies, a cup of weird looking orange tea and some loliness ^____^*

Okay so I was just wondering, how much of an anime fan are you? Feel free to talk about anything anime related in this topic!

• 333 Replies
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I found a copy of Ghost in the Shell in my local second hand DVD store. It was in a box set with Akira (Which I immediately sold to my friend at cost price since I already own it.), and something I've never heard of called Ninja Scroll. I'll have to get back to you on those.

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

I found a copy of Ghost in the Shell in my local second hand DVD store. It was in a box set with Akira (Which I immediately sold to my friend at cost price since I already own it.), and something I've never heard of called Ninja Scroll. I'll have to get back to you on those.

Wow, all of these movies are really good. You've never heard of Ninja Scroll? It's a huge part of anime culture, very important to introducing America to anime.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

I'm going to re-post an abridged version of my last post here which apparently never went through for some annoying reason.

Nearly 2 weeks ago I finished watching Mawaru Penguindrum.

Before I go any further with this I would like to give out a warning that there is some non-explicit sexual content in a couple of episodes that made me nearly stop watching the show.

Now, if the prior warning is no big deal for you, then I would very highly recommend this show. The voice acting *I watched dubbed* was good, although one of the character's voices really started to get on my nerves. The whole style of the show was very unique, I won't say the art style, because that's not quite right.

I went into it knowing next to nothing about it, and I'm glad that's how I went into it. All I knew is that it was a psychological anime about the concept of fate. I will throw this in for you, though, it's a total tear-jerker. I finished episode 2 thinking "wow, this is really lighthearted and funny show, how could it possibly deserve its reputation as psychological?" I finished AT LEAST 2 out of the last 5 episodes in tears.

Definitely one of my all-time favorite shows.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

I recently watched Expelled from Paradise (a movie by the way) and I have to say it was quite good but not great. I don't really want to reveal much about the plot as it'll spoil the fun of the world building done by the movie. The animation was quite good despite being CGI. In terms of plot, despite being around an hour it was nicely paced. However, a minor warning: despite claiming that it's by Gen Urobuchi, the plot is quite bright and light-hearted.

Anyway, the only negative I have is to do with the music itself. It's okay at best and isn't all that spectacular at all, especially when it came to the fights.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I watched two anime shows since my last post here, but I wasn't really a fan of Tokyo ESP so I won't talk about that.

Instead I'll talk about Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai or in English: SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist. From the english title alone, you know that this show will be filled with funkyness and maybe even some fan service. And yes, it definitely has both of those. However, while I complain about some anime's choice of fan service, this one mostly uses it's fan service for story purposes(and a laugh or two.).

Of course there's the story, It's been sixteen years since the "Law for Public Order and Morals in Healthy Child-Raising" banned coarse language and anything promoting sexual activity in the country of Japan. Tanukichi Okuma is a new student to the most elite school in terms of public moral and is soon blackmailed by Anti-Societal Organization(SOX) learder, Ayame Kajou, to join SOX in order to spread knowledge of sexuality and anything lewd.

The characters are a shining array of awesome personalities(except for Kosuri, gawd she's annoying). I could tell you about Tanukichi, who tries his best from seeing anything lewd, or Ayame, who is probably the most perverted woman I've ever seen. But instead I'd like to warn you about a character. The character I'm referring to is Anna. In the first 3 episodes Anna seems pretty normal. However after some things in episode 3, she turns yandere for Tanukichi. If you don't know what Yandere means, it means that person loves someone to a murderous and crazy level. So Anna is essentially @StormWalker except Anna has a heart. Anyway Anna's love scenes are not exactly for those with heart problems. To tell you how crazy Anna is about love, she once tried making Tanukichi drink her 'love juice'. Yeah...

The music is pretty good. The opening and closings are kinda catchy and the sound effects are just so good. The voice acting is also good and believable. Especially Saotome's voice actress, who is probably my favorite voice actress ever.

I'm not an artist, but Shinmoeta's art is pretty well done. Good job, guys.

Overall, this show is pretty good. Definitely not for everyone as there are extreme moments in the show. But it's just really good and funny.

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

Over the weekend, I watched both of the OVA side-stories to Kino's Journey and they were pretty bad. They didn't do justice to the original anime series at all and the animation was really low quality. There was also none of the philosophy from the original series that I loved. How to sum up these two things:terrible.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I made what I count as a very bad life decision and watched ten minutes of the first episode of Monster Musume. These are ten minutes I'm never going to get back and will be forever catalogued in the worryingly large part of my mind dedicated to things I wish I hadn't seen. This is a show to lose your faith in humanity to.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,769 posts
Chamberlain

Haven't posted here in quite some time. The reason being I haven't watched an anime in awhile. I just watched Hanbun No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora (Looking up at the half moon) and I had originally intended to watch the first 3 episodes 1 night, and the other 3 the next night. But I kind of fell in love with it the after the first 3 episodes so I decided that the next time I watched it I would start over and watch the whole series all at once.

The first 3 episodes were really great and I love them to death, the characters were lovable and the story was good. Episode 4 was pretty good, not much to say about it. And then there was episode 5. Episode 5 ruins the whole series because they make you completely hate one of the main characters, and there was no reason for it. It didn't have anything to do with the plot and it was completely unnecessary. Episode 6 tried to fix the issue a bit but it just wasn't enough. The ending to the show may have been fine (probably could have been better) but you almost don't even care anymore because you hate one of the main characters.

Would I recommend it? Not really. If the whole series was as good as the first 3 episodes I would have given it as solid 10/10. If the last 3 episodes were the same, minus the part that makes you hate the guy (something that a little editing would do, and you'd never even know what happened *Like I said, completely needless*) then it would probably still be a good 8/10. As it stands though, 5.5/10.

I know that's a pretty long review for such a short show, but I really had such high hopes for it, and it fell so short of them.

~Manly

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Is it too soon to say One-Punch Man? Or too late?

Witigen
Witigen
306 posts
Scribe

No, it's a good time. Nice to see that someone is actually watching One-Punch Man, too, because none of my friends even know what it is. I love this anime, even though I have just seen the first episode. Perfectly blending action with comedy, it is hilarious. One-Punch Man became so interesting after three years and I love his costume. The villains are probably the best part of the series. Why? A GUY TURNS INTO A CRAB-GUY THINGY FROM EATING TOO MUCH CRAB! The same thing happens again only with cars. A guy loves cars so much he became one (sort of). I am disappointed, however, that they are deciding to do only 12 episodes for the series because it deserves so much more. Yes, they're doing 6 more OVAs, but there should be more to the main series. The chibi action figure for One-Punch Man is awesome, and I am currently planning to pre-order it. Just watch One-Punch Man, you'll love it. It's the one good thing on this fall.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I haven't posted here since the end of September. In that time I've only seen 3 anime. Durararax2 Ten, Non Non Byori Repeat, and RWBY. The first two I've already talked about their first seasons and their pretty much the same. So RWBY is what I'll be talking about.

Honestly the first season(or volume) was a bit boring for me. There were awesome fights here and there that made me stay for the show.(that fight with Penny on the last episode, oh my gawd that was cool.) The animation is kind of iffy as well. At times you see hair or anything else going right through characters and scenery. That just bothers me so much. Also Jawn(I think that's how his name is spelled.) is pretty weak. Although there will probably be major character development for him later.

In season 2, they fix a lot of the problems I had with the first season and I just like it a WHOLE lot more than the first. There's a ton more action, hair isn't going through characters, and Jawn gets some character development.

So RWBY is a thumbs-up for me. However I also haven't seen any of the currently-being-made third season, but from what I hear its better than both first and second seasons.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

I watched Princess Mononoke. While it's not the most interesting story Miyazaki has ever written, the visuals are stunning, and have truly hypnotic ebb and flow.

However I also haven't seen any of the currently-being-made third season, but from what I hear its better than both first and second seasons.

Well... the animation is noticeably better, in my opinion. I assume this is down to practice and having more time and money. The storytelling and pacing is about the same, so far; that is to say, great individual elements, really badly stuck together.

Also Jawn(I think that's how his name is spelled.)

It'll be Jaune, French for yellow.

09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Oh, one more thing; the new theme song for RWBY volume 3 is explosively bad. To the point I always mute it.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

the new theme song for RWBY volume 3 is explosively bad.

Well that's a shame. I liked the themes of both volume 1 and 2.

Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

Yeah Single Hit Guy is best anime this fall I love the part where every episode it's like the same plot but it's still executed really well and it's probably anime of the year.

Plot Formula- (Spoiler Alert)

Le scary bad man: hey look at me guise i am le evil hipster fear me grr

everybody: o no pls savve us heroines

every hero: fight us grr pew pew pow

Le scary bad man: um no u can't do that I bought maphacks from my mom

Le caped baldy man: hey u! one punch! pa-pow!

Le scary bad man: arghh we're blasting off again team Rochette will b back

ash ketchup: i wanna b the very best that no one ever was (but I will ultimately always lose at the pokemon league in every region xdd)

Thank you for reading my review on Sole Attack Bro

Like this video if you think I should make more and subscribe to my channel for more quality content like this thanks

Showing 286-300 of 333